Sign in to follow this  
JBluegill133

Stoll and Turk

“This program holds its wrestlers to a high standard and our team expects everyone to meet those standards,” Brands said. “When a student-athlete falls short of those expectations, it is the coach’s job to hold them accountable.”  Accountability = Kent St dual???

“Sam and Vince have accepted the consequences of their actions,” Brands said. “The infractions were a first for both men, and I am very pleased with their response. We are moving forward.” Tom: You are going to miss the Kent St dual"   Sam/Turk: Okay       Um... of course they accept them, because they don't really exist. 

Pretend consequences

What would be a more appropriate response? They were at Turk's house, Turk went to bed, awhile late Stoll tried to mess with him and Turk didn't realize what was going on and pulled his gun and shot Stoll. The only reason Turk is being punished is because of internal team/school rules. He was never charged with a crime because he was well within his rights in Iowa. Stoll is suspended for initially lying to the police about the circumstances surrounding the shooting and has plead guilty to that.

What does the cost to the team have to do with how the individuals are punished?  

The two involved should receive whatever punishment their actions warrant, and whether it hurts Iowa should have nothing to do with it.

If you guys are advocating for harsher penalties for idiots who accidentally shoot their teammates then I am on board.  If you are arbitrarily pushing for the punishment to hurt Iowa, that shows exactly what your motivation is here.

1 hour ago, wrestlingphish said:

What would be a more appropriate response? They were at Turk's house, Turk went to bed, awhile late Stoll tried to mess with him and Turk didn't realize what was going on and pulled his gun and shot Stoll. The only reason Turk is being punished is because of internal team/school rules. He was never charged with a crime because he was well within his rights in Iowa. Stoll is suspended for initially lying to the police about the circumstances surrounding the shooting and has plead guilty to that.

Is that really what happened?

sounds like Turk isn’t responsible enough to own a gun

45 minutes ago, boconnell said:

What does the cost to the team have to do with how the individuals are punished?  

The two involved should receive whatever punishment their actions warrant, and whether it hurts Iowa should have nothing to do with it.

If you guys are advocating for harsher penalties for idiots who accidentally shoot their teammates then I am on board.  If you are arbitrarily pushing for the punishment to hurt Iowa, that shows exactly what your motivation is here.

I think the punishment is reasonable. I’d prefer if it was a bit harsher and actually hurt them a little more. Maybe requiring them to sit out a real dual? The goal would be to demonstrate to the team and recruits that there are real consequences, but the coaches won’t try to ruin your life. 

I do think these guys guys are probably pretty embarrassed. Hopefully they have to endure a bit of crap from the rest of the team for being idiots. 

12 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Turk was NOT charged with any crime and you don't fully understand what happened. Only Stoll and Turk (or others present) know the circumstances.

You are in no position to judge Turk.

41 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

That is the gist of it as it has been relayed to me by multiple "sources".

Sounds to me like Stoll should be more careful and maybe not try to prank people who are known to keep a pistol by their bedside.

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

Turk was NOT charged with any crime and you don't fully understand what happened. Only Stoll and Turk (or others present) know the circumstances.

You are in no position to judge Turk.

he shot someone who shouldn’t have been shot. I’m not saying charges should be filed, but his actions indicate he isn’t a responsible gun owner. 

16 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

he shot someone who shouldn’t have been shot. I’m not saying charges should be filed, but his actions indicate he isn’t a responsible gun owner. 

Again, you don't know that because you were not there. 

I will bet Stoll will think twice before ever pulling the kind of stunt that got him shot. I will not judge Turk without knowing all the facts. 

Not saying Stoll or Turk should be punished, but the idea that that being held out of a dual with a creampuff opponent is some sort of harsh punishment is laughable. I guess it takes one "W" off your record for the year, maybe.

Better: run their asses off after practice. After a couple months of running a few extra miles after every practice they'll "get it". Plus, they'll probably be in better shape than any of their opponents. Saw it happen to a kid in HS.  Anecdote: kid on our wrestling team my sophomore year was a Sr who was apprehended drunk driving. His punishment? He had to run 500 miles, in the coach's presence. Guy was running a few miles a day prior to wrestling season (in football season he had to run 2 or 3 miles a day after his arrest, he was a scrub on the football team), then DURING the season until he hit 500. Was a buzzsaw on the mat that year, and he'd have probably won state if he hadn't gotten stupid and decided to see how many times he could slam the previous year's champ in the semifinals (for the record he slammed Beisel 3 times: first time a warning and 1 point, 2nd time a warning and 2 pts, last time expelled from the tournament). Damn shame, he'd have killed the guy in the finals.

Should have shot him/shouldn't have...should have a gun/shouldn't have.....   I really don't see how any of this matters as far as a punishment.  Did they break the law?  If so there could be a punishment from the school.  If not, a team punishment maybe, but let's not get crazy.

I wrote a song called "Sam Stohl" (only has one verse)

Sam Stohl came home,
To his roomate's par-tee
After serving in the conflict at Erie.
And the time that he served,
Had shattered all his nerves,
And left a little shrapnel in his knees.
But the Yuengling eased the pain,
And the grass grew round his brain,
And gave him all the confidence he lacked,
With a wooden trophy and a monkey on his back.

There's a hole in Sammy's knee where all the scholly goes,
Tommy lied for nothin I suppose.
Little froshies have big ears,
Don't stop to count the years,
Sweet songs never last too long on broken radios.

3 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Again, you don't know that because you were not there. 

I will bet Stoll will think twice before ever pulling the kind of stunt that got him shot. I will not judge Turk without knowing all the facts. 

Fact: He shot someone who shouldn’t have been shot. That can’t be disputed. 

3 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Fact: He shot someone who shouldn’t have been shot. That can’t be disputed. 

Fact: you have no idea of what happened.

Fact 2: Turk was not charged, so whatever he did was legal under Iowa law.

It seems likely Turk felt threatened and defended himself, so while no one wants a wrestler or team mate to get shot your statements are unfounded.