Sign in to follow this  
nom

Weight trajectory leading to worlds

I’m curious about the weight loss / gain trajectory our wrestlers have heading into worlds and whether it looks different from other countries.  

Is there a knowledgeable and willing person(s) that can complete the following table for a typical US wrestler at worlds?  (Or at least semi representative)

To simplify, let’s index the weight class to 100.  So at weight, consider this as 100.  This way we can think of things as a percent of the weight class limit.

I put in numbers below AS A GUESS in order to explain the approach better.  Time frames are time from weigh in of day one of competition.

1 month out:  wrestler’s weight is 110% of weight class limit (so if class is 74kg, wrestler is about 81.4kg one month out)

1 week out:  106%

2 days out:  105%

1 day out: 103%

Night before (before sleeping): 102%

Weigh in day 1:  100%

3 hours after weighin: 102%

end of day 1 wrestling: 103%

before sleeping night of day 1: 102%

weigh in day 2: 100%

night of day 2: 104%

1 week after competition: 107%

If easier to use actual weights, feel free to do that as well.

Really curious about this.  Thanks.

Since I would expect these athletes are following a similar progression as college guys, I will give you some thoughts on your suggested decent.

1. I'd say you are really close to accurate.  It will vary guy to guy, with some exceeding 110% at one week out.

2. I would remove your 2 day out suggestion.  I expect they aren't starting to restrict fluids until 18 hours out.  2 days out will probably more closely resemble 5-7 days out.

3. Floating 2% is generous.

4. I would expect the guys to go to bed 3% over, with the last 2-1.5% being cut at the venue immediately prior to the scales.

5. They will rehydrate more than 4 percent.  Every coach I have had close experience with understands the "there is no tomorrow" philosophy- meaning weight is an afterthought until you have qualified for the second day.  Even with fluid loss in competition, I would expect the athlete be 6% over at least when they start their cut for day 2.  Obviously this final number will depend on how much the athlete was cutting initially.

JHRose - Thank you!  Good info here.  Can you clarify point 3?  I’m not sure what floating 2% means.

6% over to start cut for day 2 ... interesting.  That’s a big cut.  I’m no pro, nor have I been around them but it seems daunting.  Lots of water so perhaps not so bad. 

Again, thank you.  Do you think there are other countries with a fairly different approach or has everyone adapted a similar decent plan?

I think you are basing your numbers too high.  As an athlete who has had to weigh in with these rules, and have made it to the 2nd day, trying to lose 8-12lbs within 48 hours is going to destroy your performance.  Think about this:  After you weigh in, you are warming up within 45 minutes.  Recovering even with an IV would be tough that quickly.  I am sure some guys will do it and just hope they catch a turd in the opening rd or hit the top end of the bracket, but I would lower your numbers significantly.  Its college rules

my oldest walks in the mid teens... it is not uncommon for him to lose 5lbs in a practice... 

5-7% dehydration is considered mild even in medical terms... judging by what some of our guys compete at and what they say they walk around at, 7% is a one hour run on the treadmill... no biggie

Hey nom,

You have the athletes going to bed at 102% and waking up on weight.  Floating is lingo for “weight lost during sleep/over the passage of time without active weight loss practices”.  Everyone “floats” weight in their sleep, but 1 to 1.5% is probably more accurate.  I certainly acknowledge that this will vary athlete to athlete, but 3 pounds overnight for a middleweight is probably in excess of what the typical high level athlete could expect.

If 150 lbs, 7% is 10.5 pounds.  I can't see 10.5 pounds being shed in a one hour run.  Are you being serious?  I recognize that I don't have experience and inside knowledge like many of you have but this just doesn't sound right.  

A 5% decrease in water weight has been shown to have a significant decrease in athletic performance. Many wrestlers get conditioned to it so they can often push right up to those limits, but with two hour weigh ins, I doubt many are losing much more than that the day before. 3% is a very manageable number and I would hope most elite athletes would be close to that for the final 24 hours

Edited by Eagle26

Ahhh, thanks JH Rose.  Actually, in my head there was a bit of float (thanks for teaching the term) and then some weight loss activity in the morning.  The two combined resulted in the 2%.

Is that not the case usually?  Meaning, do the wrestlers not continue to lose weight (jogging, whatever) in morning?

Thanks nom.  I am uncomfortable acting as the international wrestling weight management expert...  But everyone seems to be agreeing the weight progression this year will be similar to D1 wrestling, even if there is some back and forth about quantity.  Observation of any major NCAA event show a number of wrestlers saving the last of the cut until shortly before the area is closed to take the scales (including the championship event).  As a result, I see no reason to think the same wouldn't hold true for at least some members of this year's world team.