Streaming options for worlds

10 minutes ago, FreestyleWrestler said:

I have been been:

2009 Herning,Danmark 

2010 Moscow, Russia

2013 Budapest,Hungary

2015 Las Vegas, USA

2017 Paris, France

2018 Budapest, Hungary (on this friday start my sixth trip to world championship)

I hope one day to be able to travel and see these cities and championships.  I am very jealous, enjoy every minute!

Question about the streaming schedule:

Track lists the Day 2 Session 2 as going from 10:45 a.m. - 02:30 p.m. CT with the competing freestyle weights  57, 65, 79, 92 semi-finals; FS 61, 74, 86, 125 finals. What time do you all guestimate that the finals will actually start? I assume the semis will be towards the beginning of the session and the finals towards the end. 

My apologies, he's talking about session 2 not the first session.  The 1st round matches on Saturday/Sunday start at 3:30am CST, thought I could sleep in there for a minute!

Edited by Gantry

I just want to say that I am so glad that we have the option to watch so much wrestling.  These streaming services are huge for wrestling.  They are creating fans, making wrestlers bigger stars, providing another source of revenue for events, etc.   I have the the option to watch wrestling most nights during wrestling season and almost every weekend of the year.  These services are also able to keep us entertained with news and content around wrestling that is updated daily.  Subscription and ppv fees will only make these services better.  It is money well spent in my opinion.  

On 10/15/2018 at 1:41 PM, JasonBryant said:

UWW contracts with Track to stream to the U.S. viewership. UWW is sending that signal out to its vendors (the U.S. isn't the only country that has a vendor charging PPV access).

A comparison would be how NBC owns the broadcast rights for the Olympics in the U.S., even though the streams originate from OBS (Olympic Broadcasting Service). If you're watching the Olympics in Canada, you're not watching NBC, you're watching/streaming on who holds the Canadian rights.  

In what other countries are wrestling fans forced to pay to watch the world championships? What price are they paying?

Info relayed to me: India, Russia, Japan(?), USA and maybe 1-2 more. Eurosport has the broadcast rights and they can distribute either on their paid system or on TV. Depends on the event. And this info is second hand, so I can’t answer anything directly on it.

On 10/16/2018 at 2:17 PM, JasonBryant said:

So it’s your belief $3.33 per day is too expensive for an event that spans nine days?

People are annoyed for two reasons:

1) We are one of the few countries where we have to pay to watch the world championships.

2) For those of us who are only interested in watching men's freestyle, it's annoying to have Greco and women's wrestling bundled into the package.

Edited by Katie

3 minutes ago, Katie said:

For those of us who are only interested in watching men's freestyle, it's annoying to have Greco and women's wrestling bundled into the package.

I would pay 5X any streaming price to have Greco and Women's on different days just so it is easier for me to avoid them.

Katie,

1. No, we aren’t. I just posted a few other countries where streaming rights are involved.

2. The styles have been combined at the Worlds since 2005. It’s what the Worlds are. So to be all unhappy about being forced to watch other styles ... that’s a personal choice, not one TW or Flo (or UWW or USAW events) is going to change in the near future. The event is what it is.

23 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

1. No, we aren’t. I just posted a few other countries where streaming rights are involved.

2. The styles have been combined at the Worlds since 2005. It’s what the Worlds are. So to be all unhappy about being forced to watch other styles ... that’s a personal choice, not one TW or Flo (or UWW or USAW events) is going to change in the near future. The event is what it is.

1. I edited point 1 after seeing your post about which other countries might be paying to watch the world championships.

2. I am not arguing against the idea that UWW has chosen to combine men's freestyle, Greco, and women's freestyle into a single competition.  I'm just identifying what's annoying about that arrangement in the context of being in one of the few countries where fans must pay to watch.  I would venture to guess that Track could have allowed people to purchase a stream for each style* separately.

*Edit

Edited by Katie

33 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

Info relayed to me: India, Russia, Japan(?), USA and maybe 1-2 more. Eurosport has the broadcast rights and they can distribute either on their paid system or on TV. Depends on the event. And this info is second hand, so I can’t answer anything directly on it.

You are right on India. Similar to track, in India the world championships and most of the wrestling streaming option/rights are given to an entity named “Sports Flashes”

1. I edited point 1 after seeing your post about which other countries might be paying to watch the world championships.
2. I am not arguing against the idea that UWW has chosen to combine men's freestyle, Greco, and women's freestyle into a single competition.  I'm just identifying what's annoying about that arrangement in the context of being in one of the few countries where fans must pay to watch.  I would venture to guess that Track could have allowed people to purchase a stream for each event separately.

They aren’t separate events, they’re separate styles. When you go to USAW events, do you only pay for the men’s freestyle mats? Doesn’t work that way — and it shouldn’t.

That being said ...

I do think a daily watch pass might be worth investigating, similar to buying a ticket to only the days you want to attend.

Really hope the stream doesn't freeze or crash here in the states if an American makes the finals.

If the stream works fine then I'm happy to pay the 50 bucks for the UWW season pass. 

Add me to the list of those who think it has been unfair for the U.S. to be the only country to have to pay to watch on track.  If certain geolocations can no longer access the stream for free, as they have been able to in the past, then I will be happy to pay-just as I do for flowrestling and have for BTDN.  However, I do not believe it is the job of the U.S. wrestling fan to subsidize the already corrupt UWW operations for the rest of the world.  

Add me to the list of those who think it has been unfair for the U.S. to be the only country to have to pay to watch on track.  If certain geolocations can no longer access the stream for free, as they have been able to in the past, then I will be happy to pay-just as I do for flowrestling and have for BTDN.  However, I do not believe it is the job of the U.S. wrestling fan to subsidize the already corrupt UWW operations for the rest of the world.  

Billy,
See my post above (in at least two places), the US is NOT the only place that has to pay to watch UWW events. Track is the US vendor, someone also pointed out what the Indian vendor is. There are a few others too, all with large fan bases.

I’ve been hired to work broadcasts for UWW the last two years. There has been absolutely zero on the streaming operation that could even remotely be classified as corrupt. If there was, I wouldn’t associate myself with it.

On 10/17/2018 at 8:53 PM, freestyle_fan said:

You are right on India. Similar to track, in India the world championships and most of the wrestling streaming option/rights are given to an entity named “Sports Flashes”

Sports flash? 

Edited by maligned

1 hour ago, JasonBryant said:

Billy,
See my post above (in at least two places), the US is NOT the only place that has to pay to watch UWW events. Track is the US vendor, someone also pointed out what the Indian vendor is. There are a few others too, all with large fan bases.

I’ve been hired to work broadcasts for UWW the last two years. There has been absolutely zero on the streaming operation that could even remotely be classified as corrupt. If there was, I wouldn’t associate myself with it.

In the past, simply spoofing your location outside the U.S. enabled free access to track streams. In other words, they were only charging people located within the U.S. Are you saying that Track was supposed to blackout their stream outside the U.S. and they violated the terms of their deal by making it available for free outside the U.S. market?  Or are you saying that starting this year it will now be blacked out?

And JB, apologies if I implied that anything related to the streaming service is corrupt.  I have no doubt that anything you're affiliated with is 100% legitimate.  I just mean UWW the organization, from which track has purchased the rights to stream, is corrupt. 

Edited by Billyhoyle