Sign in to follow this  
TheOhioState

Validative experiences

I went to the 2006 Big Ten Wrestling Championships at Indiana, not only because I was joining a friend at Big Tens, but because a guy wrestling for Ohio State, who I had known from my gym, was trying to make it to Nationals.

In a crucial match, he had it locked up, and then he got taken down in the last few seconds.

He lost the next match, too,  and he never went to Nationals

After his near miss, I was working out in the gym at the hotel where I was staying in Indiana.

It was a very small gym.  Only enough room for two stationary bikes, two treads and a few free weights.

The only other guy in that room was a guy in a hooded shirt on a stationary bike and me on a tread.

I looked closer. It was Dan Gable.

I got off of my treadmill and said hello.

He asked me if I had a kid wrestling, and I replied that I was following a young Ohio State man from my gym who had just lost.

He asked his name, and I told him.  

Gable said, "Hell of a double-leg."

After that, I got back on the tread and absolutely killed myself to run hard in that hot room. After all, Gable was the only other person in the room.

I was walking in the main area about an hour later, and I told my wrestling buddy about the Gable story.

When asked about how hard I worked, I said "I did the best I could."

Gable walked by the same time and said, "You did well."

This is all true, and it ranks near the top of my validative experiences.

Anyone else?

Another Gable story- with me.

In 1987, I was asked to do the computer work at NCAAs with what was my old program that I wrote first around 1980 in DOS1.0. Apparently there were computer issues  at Iowa in 86. I had a portable (it weighed about 40lbs but it had a handle) and ran things on floppy drives (the real actual floppy drives). Running the event itself wasn't a problem, I had already run bigger ones even though some people were saying it wasn't possible to do it on a portable- the NCAAs had been run on main frames so far. What turned out to be the big deal was doing the preseeding. I made essentially a 3-D spreadsheet. 24 preseeders, 10 weights and around 36 kids per weight. I couldn't really test it. They gave me the preseeder sheets around noon on Tuesday figuring to get them back that evening. I wasn't even close. It took forever to scroll the sheet on the floppy. I got it done around 5am and printed out the data and left it with the NCAA rep under the door. They didn't need it until that morning for the seeding meetings so I was ok. The next year I wrote a program that could do it in a few hours. I met with the committee for either breakfast or lunch (I think lunch). I explained why it took so long and a couple of them thanked me for my diligence. Gable was sitting next to me. He didn't say much but had a look of appreciation that I got it done that I haven't forgotten.

I was a sophomore in high school, football was my main sport.  My position coach in football was the head wrestling coach and was just waiting out the head football coach getting fired so he could take over.  

I usually practiced with a senior who was a weight class up from me.   He pounded on me every practice all practice.  But he should have, right?  He was older, bigger, and a returning state place winner.  

One day, the head wrestling coach was gone and the assistant ran practice.  He was a real wrestling guy.  When we were doing situational live goes, he came over to me and the senior and said loser has to do 20 pushups.  I lost a few in a row.  Then I started to get pissed.  I lost a couple more. Now i’m really pissed off, this isn’t fair, i’ll be doing push-ups all afternoon.  Then I win one go. Then another.  I won the last four in a row.  

Being young, it took me a while to realize that the assistant was able to get me to perform at a level I didn’t believe I could.  He believed in me before I did.

I was almost 50/50 with the senior the rest of the season in practice, and started the whole year on varsity.  I never even considered being able to do that before.  

About 15 years later I ran into the assistant coach and told him this story.  He tried to play it off like it was no big deal, but I made sure he knew I thought it was.

Another Gable one:

Dan and I were brought in to do the commentary for the final scene of The Last Champion, which is likely to come out in the next few months. We were having dinner in the airport after a long day of shooting and he said, “I love the fact you get to make a living out of doing what you do.”

Terry Brands has a few brief comments over the years that just put a smile on my face immediately. And yes, I’ve wanted to run through a wall afterwards.

11 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Another Gable story- with me.

In 1987, I was asked to do the computer work at NCAAs with what was my old program that I wrote first around 1980 in DOS1.0. Apparently there were computer issues  at Iowa in 86. I had a portable (it weighed about 40lbs but it had a handle) and ran things on floppy drives (the real actual floppy drives). Running the event itself wasn't a problem, I had already run bigger ones even though some people were saying it wasn't possible to do it on a portable- the NCAAs had been run on main frames so far. What turned out to be the big deal was doing the preseeding. I made essentially a 3-D spreadsheet. 24 preseeders, 10 weights and around 36 kids per weight. I couldn't really test it. They gave me the preseeder sheets around noon on Tuesday figuring to get them back that evening. I wasn't even close. It took forever to scroll the sheet on the floppy. I got it done around 5am and printed out the data and left it with the NCAA rep under the door. They didn't need it until that morning for the seeding meetings so I was ok. The next year I wrote a program that could do it in a few hours. I met with the committee for either breakfast or lunch (I think lunch). I explained why it took so long and a couple of them thanked me for my diligence. Gable was sitting next to me. He didn't say much but had a look of appreciation that I got it done that I haven't forgotten.

Did you invent the internet?

More interesting than a book of stories by Dan Gable  - a book of stories from other people about their interactions with Dan Gable. Too bad so many people on this board are full of crap that I wouldn't be able to believe any of them.

19 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

More interesting than a book of stories by Dan Gable  - a book of stories from other people about their interactions with Dan Gable. Too bad so many people on this board are full of crap that I wouldn't be able to believe any of them.

It would be an interesting topic to try to encapsulate for sure, but you're right, there'd have to be a lot of vetting and if we're being real, Gable doesn't remember every thing he's ever said to everybody, but it is an interesting theory of the Gable tree of inspirational stories. 

My great experiences listed in no particular order.

I once told Cael Sanderson to get out of my seat at NCAA's, he kindly obliged.

I once told Gimp to get to work and not play with his Frisbee, he kindly ignored me.

I took down a four-time NCAA champion...when he was a sophomore in high school. He is still trying to get revenge, but old age prevents me from wrestling live.

6 hours ago, Fletcher said:

I'll share MY Gable anecdote: when I was a kid my dad would take me to OSU dual matches (to inspire me, no doubt). My fave wrestler at the time was Ricky Stewart. Anyway, at one of the OSU/IOWA matches I got to see Gable hurl a chair a few feet (not towards the mat, though). Wish I could remember which specific match (which 2 wrestlers) it was though. Would've been late-70's, early 80's.

Edited by TobusRex

In the late 70's early 80's, most youth wrestling opportunities were in freestyle where I lived (Mn).  We did have a limited Middle School wrestling season where we typically wrestled 10-12 matches in a season.  I think it was 6th or 7th grade and our freestyle club went to a folkstyle tournament in Emmetsburg, IA.  That was the first tournament I ever attended that seeded wrestlers.  I was like 12-0 or something and was expecting to get seeded first.  However, a team of Oklahoma studs, the Tulsa All-Stars or something, came and their kids were sporting records like 46-1 or whatever.  I was seeded something like 5th or 6th I think.  I got destroyed in the semis and took 4th, I believe.  A couple years later at Cyclone Wrestling Camp a kid comes up to me and was like, "I know you.  We wrestled in Emmetsburg."  He said he had the picture on his wall because he won, and I was on the stand.  He said I was the toughest match he had that whole year. We rolled that whole week at camp; he was much better than me and I learned a lot from him.  That kid's name was Kendall Cross.

Fast-forward to 1992, on a whim while serving in the Marines in Italy, I went to the Olympics in Barcelona.  I had acquired some free tickets to the wrestling.  Lo and behold, who did I see but Kendall Cross.  Later that week, I ran into Kendall and some of the other wrestlers at a drinking establishment off Las Ramblas and introduced myself.  Whether he did or didn't remember me, he was gracious enough to pretend he did, and we hung out well into the morning hours, thoroughly dehydrating ourselves in the process. Still have my ticket autographed by Cross, Coleman, Jackson, and some others lying around a scrapbook somewhere.

21 hours ago, BobDole said:

My great experiences listed in no particular order.

I once told Cael Sanderson to get out of my seat at NCAA's, he kindly obliged.

I once told Gimp to get to work and not play with his Frisbee, he kindly ignored me.

I took down a four-time NCAA champion...when he was a sophomore in high school. He is still trying to get revenge, but old age prevents me from wrestling live.

I ran into Carlton Haselrig at a boxing match in Tulsa in 1990. He was sitting in my seat. I asked him to move, he refused. Long story short: I physically pounded Carleton into submission and dragged him out of my chair.

Okay, maybe that didn't happen, but the following story about abusing a young child, I mean wrestling a future champion DID happen:

(Scene: 1983, J Geills music playing in the background during a HS wrestling dual. I'd just pinned the kid at 190 pounds) I was a HS Sr wrestling mostly 190 (but sometimes HWT) and, knew all the McGrew boys (the oldest was Charlie, a year older than me). I was pinning everybody that year so far, and I ran into young JJ in the HS wrestling room. I made a remake to him "Hey JJ, heard you were catching up to me", or something like that. JJ replied "I'm better than you already". Anyway we rolled around a little bit, and I pinned him in short order. Was talking smack the entire time ! Wasn't too proud of myself, but insults like that must be dealt with :D Anyway I'll say this much: the kid had a lot of scrap in him! I bet I outweighed him by 70 pounds, but I could feel he was a pretty strong kid. Anyway I think JJ went on to win 3 state titles or something like that in HS. I was beaming like a proud big brother when JJ won the NCAA title years later.

Don't even get me started on my John Smith story.