Sign in to follow this  
TheOhioState

2018 Ohio State wrestle-off information

8 hours ago, Buckeyebison said:

Sammy Sasso and Rocky Jordan aren’t participating. I’m guessing they are set with redshirting or little banged up.

It’s not a redshirt thing. They have a top redshirt wrestling at 184 in Hoffman. 

I assume they are banged up. Even for guys that have no chance at competing even if they make the team (due to other things, like adjusting to college life, grades, etc) they allow them to compete 

I’m bummed. Sasso is the type of guy who will need to jump levels to get to where they need  him to be, but he has the potential and the best possible coaching staff for his style. Watching his progress will be fun. I doubt he is competitive with McKenna right now, but I still want to see it. 

Rocky too. He had a relatively recent win over Kharchla. His brothers, cousins and uncles were extremely successful. He is huge and super athletic. He needs to improve a bit, by so does virtually everyone from high scho. He has a high ceiling. 

3 hours ago, Gantry said:

I know room familiarity and all that but Heinselman only beating Hunter Lucas by a point doesn't bode well for this chances to be an AA contender out of the gate and/or pulling his shirt.

True, but it would be helpful to know how it went down. 5-4 in folk could mean many things. Also, Malik has been in a college room for 2 months. 

By the end of the season, Malik would be top 20 at the very least if they pull the shirt. He is unlikely to AA, just like all true freshman, but 125 is somewhat cleared out and is the right weight for a true freshman to place

I would agree in the notion that this extraordinarily early result doesn't bode well for Malik.  When NaTo came in, he had no issues handling his nearest weight teammates... (except Logie).  Same goes for most other AA contenders, or even R12 contenders.  

Ethan Smith vs TeShan Campbell. 

Period 1 no score. Period 2 Campbell ESC, 1-0. Smith had a nice single leg but could not finish, still 1-0. Period 3 ESC Smith, 1-1. Going to OT. Campbell wins 3-1 in sudden death. 

My comment - Smith is a nice wrestler who is a year away in physical maturity. Campbell looked a lot like Campbell did last year. Just my 0.02. 

Edited by TBar1977

Heinselman leading Mead 4-3 after 2 periods. Guessing Heinselman chose neutral because it ended 4-3. Malik is pretty quick but he's small and I think he will take some lumps this year just due to size. 

Edited by TBar1977

Micah chooses neutral again, but he gets a 2nd period TD to lead 2-0, now ESC Hayes for 2-1. A second TD and now 4-1 and period ends.

Hayes chooses TOP. Jordan ESC, now 5-1. After 1 more TD and ESC the match ended 7-2. 

Edited by TBar1977

41 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Ethan Smith vs TeShan Campbell. 

Period 1 no score. Period 2 Campbell ESC, 1-0. Smith had a nice single leg but could not finish, still 1-0. Period 3 ESC Smith, 1-1. Going to OT. Campbell wins 3-1 in sudden death. 

My comment - Smith is a nice wrestler who is a year away in physical maturity. Campbell looked a lot like Campbell did last year. Just my 0.02. 

It's always tough to appropriately gauge wrestle-off's, but based on match 1 plus match 2 so far, have to agree.

Romero at 165 looks like he is progressing nicely, but I have no idea about the wrestler opposite him on the mat tonite. The match ended 7-5 but not quite that close. Romero won take downs 3-0. 

This is such a tough weight class this year. 

1 minute ago, TBar1977 said:

Romero at 165 looks like he is progressing nicely, but I have no idea about the wrestler opposite him on the mat tonite. The match ended 7-5 but not quite that close. Romero won take downs 3-0. 

This is such a tough weight class this year. 

Schierl is an OK backup, can beat a lot of backups but losing to most teams' starters.  Much better in Greco (was in the U23 Greco finals), which is why you saw Romero bail from any ties.  

2 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Schierl is an OK backup, can beat a lot of backups but losing to most teams' starters.  Much better in Greco (was in the U23 Greco finals), which is why you saw Romero bail from any ties.  

He looked like a Greco guy just the way he stood in his stance.