Sign in to follow this  
Katie

74kg Discussion

1 minute ago, Housebuye said:

His choice. He chose not to compete at events that counted towards seeding

I get that. I guess it really becomes a debate about whether or not a body of work should be counted towards your seed. He is a multi time world champ. By competing at every major event he definitely risks people figuring him out, getting injured, etc. I get the stance they are taking. They want people to compete more often, but If he wrestles Chamizo second round in the biggest event of the year, who benefits from that?

27 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

This is not ideal, but I’m pretty confident in JB over Chamizo. 

Anyone know now where the Russian is in the bracket?

The Russian (Sidakov) is basically a 5 seed in a 32-man bracket.  JB is the 4 seed.  So they could meet in the quarters. (JB could then meet Chamizo in the semis.)

Apparently JB moved up to the 4 seed after the 3 seed (Kaisanov of Kazakhstan?) withdrew.

2 minutes ago, Katie said:

The Russian (Sidakov) is basically a 5 seed in a 32-man bracket.  JB is the 4 seed.  So they could meet in the quarters. (JB could then meet Chamizo in the semis.)

Apparently JB moved up to the 4 seed after the 3 seed (Kaisanov of Kazakhstan?) withdrew.

Oh ok that makes sense. Thanks.

Edited by Housebuye

JB's path:

R32: Juah (Liberia)

R16: Hosseinkhani (Iran) 2016 world bronze at 70kg (non-Olympic)

Quarters: Sidakov (Russia)

Semis: Chamizo (Italy)

Finals: Uzbekistan, Mongolia, Turkey, or Japan

Edited by Katie

The seeding system obviously needs some work, but it's still better than completely blind draws. 

If someone gets pulled up into the 4th seed (based, apparently, on the 3 seed withdrawing), I won't object if they pick the returning champ, who happens to be a 5x world-level champion.

Well, the seeding system does bug me a little, but I guess that is a subject for another time. As far as JB is concerned, I think he has a pretty tough draw, but if anyone can do it, JB can. I think JB will reach the semi's against Chamizo, and I think the two will have a barn burner of a match, but I believe JB prevails in this "rubber match," and gets into the finals. Once there, I wouldn't bet against him regardless of whoever comes up from the other half of the bracket. 

6 minutes ago, de4856 said:

Well, the seeding system does bug me a little, but I guess that is a subject for another time. As far as JB is concerned, I think he has a pretty tough draw, but if anyone can do it, JB can. I think JB will reach the semi's against Chamizo, and I think the two will have a barn burner of a match, but I believe JB prevails in this "rubber match," and gets into the finals. Once there, I wouldn't bet against him regardless of whoever comes up from the other half of the bracket. 

JB has had some tough matches against the Uzbek, former Clarion wrestler Abdurakhmonov.

The Uzbek beat JB at the 2016 Olympics, after JB had already lost to Geduev.  (If memory serves, it was a blowout.)  Then at last year's worlds, JB only beat the Uzbek by a score of 6-5.

13 minutes ago, Katie said:

JB has had some tough matches against the Uzbek, former Clarion wrestler Abdurakhmonov.

The Uzbek beat JB at the 2016 Olympics, after JB had already lost to Geduev.  (If memory serves, it was a blowout.)  Then at last year's worlds, JB only beat the Uzbek by a score of 6-5.

JB has also teched him.

I’m lucky enough to coach in the 40 team region where and when Burroughs wrestled as a high schooler...it still seems unreal that he is as good as he is and he does it in such a classy yet bad ass way. He’s the Lebron James of wrestling.  

I already consider him the best US wrestler of all time, to me it’s not that close (way harder) but if he wins it again, I don’t think anyone can deny he is.  

2 hours ago, Katie said:

The seeding system obviously needs some work, but it's still better than completely blind draws. 

If someone gets pulled up into the 4th seed (based, apparently, on the 3 seed withdrawing), I won't object if they pick the returning champ, who happens to be a 5x world-level champion.

I don't see how this system is better than blind draw in any way. JB still has an extremely tough road to gold maybe more so than other years. The system is there to seperate the best wrestlers and that hasn't been successful at all in any of the brackets so far.

9 minutes ago, russelscout said:

I don't see how this system is better than blind draw in any way. JB still has an extremely tough road to gold maybe more so than other years. The system is there to seperate the best wrestlers and that hasn't been successful at all in any of the brackets so far.

Personally, I'd rather keep four studs separated than zero studs separated.

7 minutes ago, Katie said:

Personally, I'd rather keep four studs separated than zero studs separated.

I think the point he is making is that it didn't separate the studs. The top 3 wrestlers in the world are on the same side. That is worse than a random draw most likely.

20 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

I think the point he is making is that it didn't separate the studs. The top 3 wrestlers in the world are on the same side. That is worse than a random draw most likely.

And my point is that with a random draw, we'd get the same result, except Chamizo, Abdurakhmonov, and Gulaev would randomly switch spots with three other wrestlers. 

The problem isn't seeding. The problem is that only three wrestlers (apparently) were seeded.

Edited by Katie

17 minutes ago, Katie said:

And my point is that with a random draw, we'd get the same result, except Chamizo, Abdurakhmonov, and Gulaev would randomly switch spots with three other wrestlers. 

The problem isn't seeding. The problem is that only three wrestlers (apparently) were seeded.

I don't think anyone disagrees with the concept of seeding, but the way they did it this year is arguably worse than no seeding at all. To have seeding and still have 1,2 and 3 on the same side at 74, 1 and 2 on the same side at 61, 1 and 2 wrestling in round 1 at 86kg, 1,2 plus two other contenders on the same side at 125kg is really bad. They literally had major issues at every weight going tomorrow. The world finals will not have the best two guys in the tournament in any of these 4 weights. 

This hurts the die hards like us, but more importantly hurts the fans who only watch the finals. 

UWW yet again isn't doing what they need to do to grow the sport.