Sign in to follow this  
Katie

86kg Discussion

It's no wonder wrestling can't draw or keep a large fan base.  The top two guys against each other in the first round.  Everything after that is anti-climactic.  The people who run wrestling are just stupid. It's always been that way   Random draws are not the way to go.  No other sport would be this idiotic.  Wrestlers must suffer from concussions or lack of gray matter. 

11 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Not ideal team race wise. Iran has no chance and we need points from DT

Also DT’s big advantage is around cardio. This is hurt when it is and early round 

A DT win makes it very likely we win gold though...

Actually, as tough as the draw is for Taylor I think it could help us team score wise. With the Russian on this side of the bracket, who many considered the clear cut 3rd best guy in the weight, it's very likely he will have either Taylor or Yazdani in his bronze match. So in theory we could get a gold or bronze from DT and keep Russia from getting a medal. Russia could get 5th place points, but still better than a bronze or if he were opposite DT and Yaz and he walked to the finals. Small chance Azerbijian could help us out even more in the quarters and take the Russian out!

There used to be no seeding whatsoever.  So at least the current system is an improvement.

Obviously its much tougher to seed worlds than NCAAs, but it seems like there is room for improvement.  For instance, they could seed the top 8 and make sure returning champions get a seed.

It's great we have seeding but it shouldn't be this hard. Don't stress about individuals. Gold medal-winning country from previous year gets #1 seed, silver gets #2 seed, two bronze-earning countries are drawn randomly into 3 and 4-seed spots. Everyone else is randomly drawn. The end. 

Brutal draw for DT.  Assuming he can get by Yazdani, he then probably has the Cuban that gives him fits every time.  

:-|

BUT... in order to win GOLD... you gotta beat them all anyway... so... I hope DT is pumped and BRINGS IT!

Edited by treep2000

23 minutes ago, coachjeff said:

Actually, as tough as the draw is for Taylor I think it could help us team score wise. With the Russian on this side of the bracket, who many considered the clear cut 3rd best guy in the weight, it's very likely he will have either Taylor or Yazdani in his bronze match. So in theory we could get a gold or bronze from DT and keep Russia from getting a medal. Russia could get 5th place points, but still better than a bronze or if he were opposite DT and Yaz and he walked to the finals. Small chance Azerbijian could help us out even more in the quarters and take the Russian out!

I was counting on at least a 5 point advantage over Russia here (US silver, Russia bronze)

This could still happen of course, but there is also risk. 

If Yazdani beats Taylor, he will be exhausted. If the Russian pulls off the upsets bs Yazdani, we almost certainly lose the team race. 

Mid much rather we not rely on another country to take care of Russia. I wanted Yaz on the opposite side and Russia on our side. Then DT could tal him out, which would mean we score more than Russia no matter what I’m this weight. 

If DT beats Yaz, we are in an amazing position though. 

19 minutes ago, Gantry said:

I have full confidence in David Taylor, if his mind is in the right spot he's going to win.  Early, late, whatever - in fact there's a case to be made for getting out of the way early.

Maybe on an individual level, but team race wise this is a bad draw.

I'm perfectly fine with the draw itself and do think Taylor will win. That being said, I do find it rather silly that the defending World Champion who was also the Olympic Champion the year before does not get seeded. I know they have their criteria for this but let's be honest, if you are the defending World Champ you at least should be seeded somewhere and if you have done it 2 years in a row I'd be seeding you 1 regardless of what happened in between. You're the king until they knock you off.  

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

I was counting on at least a 5 point advantage over Russia here (US silver, Russia bronze)

This could still happen of course, but there is also risk. 

If Yazdani beats Taylor, he will be exhausted. If the Russian pulls off the upsets bs Yazdani, we almost certainly lose the team race. 

Mid much rather we not rely on another country to take care of Russia. I wanted Yaz on the opposite side and Russia on our side. Then DT could tal him out, which would mean we score more than Russia no matter what I’m this weight. 

If DT beats Yaz, we are in an amazing position though. 

I agree its not idea, obviously would also rather DT/Yaz were on opposite sides, just looking at it as a potential benefit and hopeful for that outcome.

Credential-wise, Taylor is at the weakest weight with only four wrestlers with medals at the Cadet, Junior, U23, Senior Worlds or Olympic Games and just one past champ - Yazdani. He wins the first one, I think he wins the whole thing without much of an issue. DT's come off the scale and wrestled his entire life, how will Yazdani deal with it?