Housebuye

World Championships 2018 - Discussion Thread - Day 1

1 minute ago, freestyle_fan said:

JB looked rusty, narrowly won with 4-3 on Iran

Eh JB was losing every match last year at worlds at some point I think. I wouldn't read into it too much.

I am super worried at the quarters, but that hasn't changed. 

Burroughs never ceases to put my stomach in knots. I know the clutch points are coming but jesus, I'm sweating it the entire time. He seems to have the ability to always score whenever the hell he needs to but he likes to take his damn time to do so. 

1 minute ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Video wont load for me, but is a see a screen shot saying 12-2 Taylor :52

Nope. That was the last match. They switched the names, not the score.

THey are waiting for all matches to end before the quarters start. shouldnt be long

That score is from the last match that happened on Mat D prior to DT’s. 

I am not sure why they are not starting the action on Mat D, do they have any official break in between? Looks like local time in Buda is around 1:30pm, is it a lunch break??

2 minutes ago, PSUMike said:

Burroughs never ceases to put my stomach in knots. I know the clutch points are coming but jesus, I'm sweating it the entire time. He seems to have the ability to always score whenever the hell he needs to but he likes to take his damn time to do so. 

It is definitely nerve wracking. He is a legend wrestling beyond his prime, using his mental edge and experience to gut out matches that would have been techs 4-5 years ago.  It's amazing/awesome to watch.  I appreciate that he chooses to still compete and we as fans get to enjoy the show.  

1 minute ago, Billyhoyle said:

It is definitely nerve wracking. He is a legend wrestling beyond his prime, using his mental edge and experience to gut out matches that would have been techs 4-5 years ago.  It's amazing/awesome to watch.  I appreciate that he chooses to still compete and we as fans get to enjoy the show.  

Very few techs in this tournament. Not sure why.

Just now, Billyhoyle said:

Almost anyone else on the team down on criteria with ~30 seconds left, I'd resign to the loss and wait out the inevitable. But when it happens to Burroughs, I sit there thinking "when and how is he going to pull this off." He is the definition of clutch and it's amazing. I just wish he'd score earlier and save me the stomach discomfort.