Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

Day 2 Thread

Russian kept Logan at bay. 

Classic confusion during challenge-- announcers were sure the challenge was bad. But USA won it- and 8 point swing. Otherwise, the match was not close.

Its not Logan anymore.  He isn't very aggressive as he used to be.  He was trying to wait and shoot.  Unfortunately, he had the referee who believed in continuing action rather than setting up neutral after every stop motion.  So, it was easy for Chakeav to tie Logan up and do some little action.  

Logan needs to have the confidence back on.  He needs the swagger he used to have in NCAAs.

6 minutes ago, Buckeyebison said:

Its not Logan anymore.  He isn't very aggressive as he used to be.  He was trying to wait and shoot.  Unfortunately, he had the referee who believed in continuing action rather than setting up neutral after every stop motion.  So, it was easy for Chakeav to tie Logan up and do some little action.  

Logan needs to have the confidence back on.  He needs the swagger he used to have in NCAAs.

While I don't disagree with some of it, he has been scouted big time at this point - as every world champ does.  You saw it the last couple years, all his opponents knew he'd shoot from space in the first 10 seconds of a match and after a restart - they were waiting and countering.  He started so many recent matches down 2-0 or 4-0 in the first minute because of it.  There's a middle ground obviously, but he's had to adjust a bit.

Was a decent match against a solid opponent, would have liked to see him be the aggressor in that last minute though.

Edited by Gantry

The GBS guy was taken off on a stretcher.

Russian was clearly the better wrestler vs Logan.  Weird to cheer for Russian going forward but want Logan pulled back in.

Jason Bryant is kicking tail as an announcer.  

JB - how much time do you spend learning how to announce names?  Big props taking the time to do this right!

9 minutes ago, nom said:

Jason Bryant is kicking tail as an announcer.  

JB - how much time do you spend learning how to announce names?  Big props taking the time to do this right!

Honestly, it started when I first covered the World Championships in 2003 in NYC. I've been around it since then. My first non-U.S. worlds was in 2007, then haven't missed a World or Olympics since 2009. I've been on a broadcast/announcing role every year since 2013, so it's years of of piling this stuff up, understanding naming conventions. I've kept a massive announcing sheet Google Doc that I've shared with Ken Berger, Bryan Hazard and other announcers and it's just familiarity and practice. I don't nail everything, but I do spend heavy time between when I get the entry list and the start of the event hammering out the details of the athletes. 

Azerbaijan totally fell apart. They had some tough draws but they underperformed almost across the board 

Georgia is looking so solid. They still have two really good guys today too. They can legitimately beat the US, but I’m not picking it.

The world is damn good at wrestling. We aren’t even doing that badly and we are in a fight. Any of the top 4 could theoretically still win it. The US and Turkey could place as high as 1st or as low as 4th (assuming no country totally falls apart)

i love worlds. Maybe even more than the Olympics. So many weights and countries