Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

Day 2 Thread

Cox, Dake and Gilman all have reasonable paths to the semis. 

I expect the following:

Gilman is 50/50 is Atli is there 

Dake vs Russia is maybe 30% Dake 

cox vs either Azerbaijan or Russia. Super hard to tell. Good news is they will have to go through each other and they might be the best two at the weight. I hope they tire each other out. I’m picking Azerbaijan. Cox is maybe 25% to win. He has a few losses to azerbijan. Don’t think he has faced the Russian before. 

2 minutes ago, Gantry said:

Did Kyle Dake retire last night and not tell anyone? 

Takahashi of Japan at 57 only beat China 7-5 in the first round, wouldn't have expected that.  Anyone see the match?

Takahashi was down 5-1 , just won it in last 50 seconds , he had takedown and trapped arm

btw he had hard time against the same Chinese wrestler at Asian Games, beating him only 3-3

Edited by wrestfan

14 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Cox, Dake and Gilman all have reasonable paths to the semis. 

I expect the following:

Gilman is 50/50 is Atli is there 

Dake vs Russia is maybe 30% Dake 

cox vs either Azerbaijan or Russia. Super hard to tell. Good news is they will have to go through each other and they might be the best two at the weight. I hope they tire each other out. I’m picking Azerbaijan. Cox is maybe 25% to win. He has a few losses to azerbijan. Don’t think he has faced the Russian before. 

The Iranian is really taking it to Azerbaijan right now.  Looks faster and stronger.

Just now, Gantry said:

Wow...

Should we be rooting for Karimi or Sharifov here, in terms of a possible Cox opponent?

Karimi. Sharifov has beaten Cox twice I think. 

Problem is, karimi will need to beat the Russian next round. We need to make up points. Karimi is looking great though so far

1 minute ago, rcoates1 said:

The Iranian is really taking it to Azerbaijan right now.  Looks faster and stronger.

Yeah this is a huge upset. It’s better for cox I think, but only if Karimi can push Russia in the quarters. We want them wearing each other out

Just now, Housebuye said:

Yeah this is a huge upset. It’s better for cox I think, but only if Karimi can push Russia in the quarters. We want them wearing each other out

I agree.  If cox pushes the pace against either guy he can wear them out.  Brutal draw for karimi

3 minutes ago, nom said:

When is Dake up?  Next?  After this one on C?

They are waiting to start the quarters until everyone has finished the prior round. Should be soon

edit: nevermind...dake is up in a sec. Has to win a match to make the quarters (he will smash the german. I'm guessing it is over within 1 minute.)

Edited by Housebuye

1 hour ago, JasonBryant said:

Honestly, it started when I first covered the World Championships in 2003 in NYC. I've been around it since then. My first non-U.S. worlds was in 2007, then haven't missed a World or Olympics since 2009. I've been on a broadcast/announcing role every year since 2013, so it's years of of piling this stuff up, understanding naming conventions. I've kept a massive announcing sheet Google Doc that I've shared with Ken Berger, Bryan Hazard and other announcers and it's just familiarity and practice. I don't nail everything, but I do spend heavy time between when I get the entry list and the start of the event hammering out the details of the athletes. 

Where are you announcing? I’m watching the Track feed. 

1 minute ago, Housebuye said:

They are waiting to start the quarters until everyone has finished the prior round. Should be soon

But Dake isn't even in the quarters yet, that's the silly thing.  Mat A & B have been open in ages, why dont' they use them?