Sign in to follow this  
Gantry

Andy Hrovat

Nice job and I like when Andy talks about his training experience in Russia and what the Russians do. Also, he can certainly talk technique and strategy.

(Little surprised Jason didn't work pbp for the semis. They only used one mat and there was no one doing pbp matside on Mat C. Maybe they just wanted to use Andy and Shane on scramblecam for pbp and commentary? Saving Jason for the finals?)

When I could hear the announcing, it was kind of low energy (Hrovat) meets high energy (Sparks).  That can potentially work, but for me at least it didn't.  I prefer the chemistry of Mark Bader and Christian Pyles.  They both bring energy and enthusiasm and have a much deeper knowledge of the weights, matchups, rankings, and tournament itself (even if Hrovat has greater experience with wrestling itself as a competitor.)  Sparks is okay with color commentary mat side, with post match interviews, and the like.

Edited by dmm53

Hrovat is very much cerebral. He’s a good thinke, or at least I liked to hear his thoughts. But other posters are dead on when they say he doesn’t know basic facts like who beat who in previous matches. For example, he didn’t know that the Russian who beat JB had already beaten Chamizo which seemed to be common knowledge on these boards. 

Yeah... I like his insight, but he is monotone and I can’t believe he didn’t know there were 5 point moves and that higher point moves trumps cautions. He won me over though with his comment during Dakes match when a call didn’t go the Russians way, “I guess they ran out of money after the last match!” (Referring to when the refs tried to gift the Russian the match over the Japanese in the previous semi)

Yeah he's definitely unpolished but like he said he's an amateur.  He's not broadcasting the NBC stream for lay people he's doing the Track specific feed on a website for wrestling fans.  He needs to learn the ropes a bit but tons of potential and the insight is already there.  That's the part you can't teach, hope he continues with it...

There are some things to nitpick for both guys, but I appreciate the color commentary provided either way. It definitely beats the voiceless crowd noise w/ intermittent vuvuzelas I have been accustomed to during early hours of watching previous world events. 

I am enjoying Hrovat this morning. When he is not talking about the match or the wrestlers-- which is, of course, the main job-- he has some interesting things to say about wrestling in general.

What I want to know is how was Hrovat cornering all those guys with apparently no grasp of the rules? 

Didnt know the order of cautions, that 5 point moves were back (even though they saw Dake hit one before Bonne), and the continuation rules. Seems pretty inexcusable for a guy who retired from freestyle coaching like 3 weeks ago.

10 hours ago, Giovanni said:

There are some things to nitpick for both guys, but I appreciate the color commentary provided either way. It definitely beats the voiceless crowd noise w/ intermittent vuvuzelas I have been accustomed to during early hours of watching previous world events. 

If the alternative is "You'll get nothing and like it" I guess that even Shane Sparks is good.