Sign in to follow this  
manyak

Congrats to Yowlys Bonne Rodríguez!

Bonne finally gets it done at nearly 36 years of age. He competed once internationally between the ages of 20 to 28 and it is well known Cuba struggles with finances and often cannot send a full team overseas. He was stuck behind Chamizo and some other great wrestlers for a while but persevered and got it done.

One of the most exciting wrestlers in the sport:

Edited by manyak

In 2015 worlds I believe he had a controversial match against Lebedev.  I don't recall the specifics, but I came away feeling bad for the guy.

Glad he was finally able to get it done -- and at the age of 35. Incredible. I love seeing risk takers win.

Edited by Katie

2 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

When was the last cuban gold medalist? The stigma was that they take bribes right? Did UWW someone how clean this up along with the refereeing?

Unlikely this problem is fixed.  Two scenarios seem more likely:  Bonne wasn't offered any incentive as Russia expected Rashidov would easily dispatch him (as most of us did), or he was offered a bribe and said no thanks I'm 35 and getting this gold.  Actions of Russian coach today don't indicate a change in attitude about such matters of ethics.

These Cubans would be dominating wrestling if they had even close to the same conditions as others. Where else will you find an athlete who can do the things Bonne can at age 35? His balance when Rashidov almost had a takedown on him in the second period was insane. Look at Romero in the UFC, it's crazy. We are all very lucky they train in poverty. 

Edited by Shiraz123

33 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

These Cubans would be dominating wrestling if they had even close to the same conditions as others. Where else will you find an athlete who can do the things Bonne can at age 35? His balance when Rashidov almost had a takedown on him in the second period was insane. Look at Romero in the UFC, it's crazy. We are all very lucky they train in poverty. 

part of their skill set is a result of training in poverty. romero perfected high level leg attacks because he wasn't able to train on wrestling mats in the beginning of his career.

When did 66 become 65?  I swear when Bonne wanted to be fat and happy he'd do tournies up there, and this was with night before weighins.  Would still throw people around, then do his next tourney at 57kilos. 

Edited by Gantry

3 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

I think my favorite part of Bonné's performance was the way he was looking at Rashidov after he won, like the only thing on his mind was "Is this guy gonna punch me in the face?"

Legit LOL...   If he was Azerbaijani, he wouldn't even wonder it - just put your hands up and cover. 

15 hours ago, Katie said:

In 2015 worlds I believe he had a controversial match against Lebedev.  I don't recall the specifics, but I came away feeling bad for the guy.

Glad he was finally able to get it done -- and at the age of 35. Incredible. I lover seeing performers win.

Lebedev ("Mr. Alrosa") benefited from some very shaky stall calls.  Very happy for this guy--has taken anyone at several weights and his number finally cashed in.  And yes, a freak in the explosion category.