Sign in to follow this  
maligned

Worlds Day 3 Thread

2 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Seems very odd to be in the world championships and not really try to get a takedown.

What explains that?

He's not a high volume attack guy anyway...but I've seen other Mongolians do what I described below to guys to great effect. It seems like their opponent has no urgency whatsoever:

3 minutes ago, maligned said:

Green has two ways to score: 1) get both hands on you and snap down/spin behind or 2) blast double. If you can control ties on him so both hands aren't free to do one of those things, he will appear as if he has no offense at all. Mongolians so often do this remarkably well and Erdene executed this perfectly.

58 minutes ago, rcoates1 said:

Hrovat may have the most former training partners of anyone in the world

Yes! Hrovat is such an interesting guy. If I made a list of who I'd love to have a beer with and talk wrestling, Hrovat would be up there. He's trained all around the world and made it his business to work with the best. I think a lot of similarly situated wrestlers wouldn't be nearly as interesting.

About Green, my feed went down in the middle of the match and then Track wouldn't let me log back in, saying I didn't have a valid passcode. Rather than fight with it, I bought a new one on my cc on the theory I could get a refund. By the time I got back in, Green had lost. It may have been my fault, guys.

6 minutes ago, scribe said:

I've always been delighted with everything we've gotten out of Green, so this result doesn't disappoint me too much. I'm more disappointed Stieber isn't killing it.

I agree on the Green comment. I feel like bronze medals with a good draw is about his ceiling. If he gets a bad draw of a number of decent guys, I just don't have confidence he'll regularly win medals. Coming in, I would have had him 8th on a list of guys who I felt confident about medaling (ahead of Stieber and Colon). In my opinion he got only 1 win against anyone that was clearly in the top 5 among the field he was facing in his two medal-winning years. He performed really solidly against guys he should beat and got the job done both times. This draw today was going to be another situation as soon as we found out about it...in my humble opinion.

11 minutes ago, scribe said:

I've always been delighted with everything we've gotten out of Green, so this result doesn't disappoint me too much. I'm more disappointed Stieber isn't killing it.

I feel long term a guy like Nolf will be better. In fact, it amazes me every time Nolf loses to Green. I can't figure out if Green is actually better or Nolf doesn't bring his A game to freestyle.

Green match pissed me off.  He got ahead and shut down.  He has attacks but he choose to simply fake them.  This barely get ahead and then shut down crap isn’t good coaching.  He did it in the prior match and clung to the victory admittedly. Bit him here.

2 minutes ago, nom said:

Green match pissed me off.  He got ahead and shut down.  He has attacks but he choose to simply fake them.  This barely get ahead and then shut down crap isn’t good coaching.  He did it in the prior match and clung to the victory admittedly. Bit him here.

I doubt it’s coaching. JB has the same coaches abd only does that when there are a few seconds left. 

I think it is James’ decision 

Just now, Gantry said:

Jenna loses 1-1 on double shot clocks, she simply didn't do enough offensively - got super close near the end of the shot clock, but didn't get the point.

And she let the clock tick off before taking a shot with 3 seconds left.  Got to ankle but too late.  She got two passivity warnings in second period.  If she had been more active, perhaps could have held those off.  Optics matter sometimes.

15 minutes ago, nom said:

And she let the clock tick off before taking a shot with 3 seconds left.  Got to ankle but too late.  She got two passivity warnings in second period.  If she had been more active, perhaps could have held those off.  Optics matter sometimes. 

Yep, at the end of the day she didn't do enough to win - even if the same can be said about your opponent.  Had to show more urgency throughout the second...

Edited by Gantry