Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingnerd

King Dynamite

51 minutes ago, nyum said:

Really puts Zahid’s skills in perspective

That is exactly what I was thinking before Dake won it (if he does).

It also makes you wonder if Dake and Taylor weren't stuck behind a great like JB, just how good those two would be considered by now.. albeit Dake more than Taylor.

I still don't know how people still count Dake out.

1 minute ago, Boompa said:

That is exactly what I was thinking before Dake won it (if he does).

It also makes you wonder if Dake and Taylor weren't stuck behind a great like JB, just how good those two would be considered by now.. albeit Dake more than Taylor.

I still don't know how people still count Dake out. 

I don't think the "stuck behind JB" has any bearing on their considerations. Dake has probably had medal potential, but his injuries were a serious limitation. Taylor has more recently blossomed into a world killer. He was only a Spanish killer before that.

I think being stuck behind JB and Dake may have been the best thing that ever happened to DT. He was too sucked out at 74 kg and may have never moved up if he had been our rep all along. 86 kg DT is simply a better wrestler than the 74 kg version. At 86, he has cardio, insane scrambling ability, and quickness as physical advantages. At 74 kg, he had none of those. It’s easy to say this after he won the worlds, but I honestly felt this way for some time now. And I’ll continue to feel this way even if he can’t get by Coz in 2020. Cox too is a special talent and there’d be zero shame in losing to him. 

Agreed nerd...   What's amazing to me is how huge Taylor is at 86kg, not undersized one bit - he really was killing himself to get to 74, JB or no JB he had to move up.  I mean he's tall for 86, weirdly I don't remember him being absurdly lanky at 74. 

One of the most impressive things about Dake is how he can be both so explosive and so stingy with points. He's almost always been able to eek out the tight matches, even in college. (Although I'm happy DT has nudged him into going for the explosive more often.) It would have been fun to see him put up big points again in the final, but frankly I don't worry about Dake in a 1-0 or 2-0 match. His defense is so good, he can make a two point lead feel insurmountable. 

Whether by design or not, he did the opposite of what his toughest opponents were probably expecting. The Russian was probably thinking Dake would come out conservative and measured after a spirited pace ended badly for him at the Yarygin. Instead, he got teched. And Hasanov was probably expecting at least the same strategy as last time, if not more aggressive, especially after the semis. Instead he got the impenetrable fortress. Like I said on another thread, Dake is one of the hardest guys to game plan because you never know what you’re going to get, and from where. 

Edited by wrestlingnerd