Sign in to follow this  
maligned

All 10 medalists...greatest team ever?

Incredible team and great results, I agree but they aren't exactly all young bucks (due to folkstyle or Olympic weights cut down to 7 or whatever):

Burroughs - 30

Taylor - 27

Dake - 27

Stieber - 27

Colon - can't find stats, assuming he is about 26

Green - 25

Gwyz - 25

Gilman - 24, relatively young

Cox - 23, relatively young

Snyder - 22, young

(I might be off by a year here or there but this is the ballpark)

Edited by judaspriest

24 minutes ago, headache said:

Actually our team is fairly old. 

That is what I thought. That is old. 18-23 is young. Our college years here set us behind 5 years from the start. 24-29 is middle age and 30-35 is grandpa. I could not find anyone over 35 at this years worlds.  

The average age of our team is ~26.4 years, and the average age of the Russian team is ~25.2 years, so there isn't all that much separation.  

Of course if our team for the 2020 games is made up of essentially the same crew, a team with an average age of 28 is definitely old.  I would expect a couple of younger guys might break through, and our average age will end up being about the same as it was this year.  

A team made up of Lee, Retherford, Dake, Taylor, Snyder, Steveson would have an average age of ~25.1 years old at the Olympics in 2020. 

17 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

The average age of our team is ~26.4 years, and the average age of the Russian team is ~25.2 years, so there isn't all that much separation.  

Of course if our team for the 2020 games is made up of essentially the same crew, a team with an average age of 28 is definitely old.  I would expect a couple of younger guys might break through, and our average age will end up being about the same as it was this year.  

A team made up of Lee, Retherford, Dake, Taylor, Snyder, Steveson would have an average age of ~25.1 years old at the Olympics in 2020. 

A little misleading - the core of the Russian team is very young - Uguev - 23, Rshidov - 22, Sidakov - 22, Sadulaev - 22.

1 minute ago, headache said:

A little misleading - the core of the Russian team is very young - Uguev - 23, Rshidov - 22, Sidakov - 22, Sadulaev - 22.

Fair point.

We also have a strong young core that will hopefully be peaking and/or breaking through to the senior level over the next few years and achieving similar results.  

1 minute ago, PRyan2012 said:

A man's ultimate physical prime is between 22 and 23 years of age. Navy seals have studied this at nauseam. This is why we need to get our guys on the international stage earlier. 

Guys may be in their prime in their 20's, but guys are usually stronger in their 30's than their 20's. They don't have the endurance they had when younger though. I remember seeing something saying men reached their peak strength mid-30's.

6 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Fair point.

We also have a strong young core that will hopefully be peaking and/or breaking through to the senior level over the next few years and achieving similar results.  

Is it fair though to call guys that aren't even on the senior level yet part of our core? 

Edited by wamba
Messed up the quote

4 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Fair point.

I think were looking good too with Lee, Gable, Yianni, et al. We just start late vis-a-vis the Russians so they are usually younger than us. It's works to their advantage.

2 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Guys may be in their prime in their 20's, but guys are usually stronger in their 30's than their 20's. They don't have the endurance they had when younger though. I remember seeing something saying men reached their peak strength mid-30's.

Sorry I should of said joint strength to be more specific. 

12 minutes ago, wamba said:

Is it fair though to call guys that aren't even on the senior level yet part of our core? 

Perhaps not... success at the junior level is a good indicator, but far from a guarantee of senior level success.  I just have a lot of faith in some of our guys to deliver on their potential, and I don't think that's unreasonable with the progress we've made at the developmental Cadet and Junior levels.