Sign in to follow this  
Coach_J

USA freestyle recap

Okay, so we don't win the team title.  This team did a great job with one more possible individual title in the mix.  My thoughts so far:

Gilman:  some might say that taking 5th as a defending finalist is a letdown, but keep in mind the returning champ took 3rd.  Russia has rebuilt this weight and ex-pats are going to be finding opportunities abroad (Azeri and Kazak), so this weight will get stronger in the next year or so (watch the Cuban kid, too).  Will we?  Is Lee the longterm answer?  Much to find out before 2020.

Colon:  I can't think anyone can argue that he completely maxed out his potential here.  Not bashing NG, but I'm not sure he medals here.  Big kudos to Joey.

Stieber:  is he one and done as a World Champ?  Bad draw?  Is 61 too low and 65 too high?  Many questions.

Green: huge disappointment.  Expected top 5 at least.  Yes, the Mongolian is no slouch, but still expected more.

JB:  solid performance--so much parity at this weight, so many one point bouts all through the bracket.  I know the expectation is gold, but gold was within reach.  And taking out world champ and nemesis to win bronze, a solid job.  Sidakov is a youngster, so this isn't going to get any easier.

Dake:  spectatcular.  I was hoping he could medal in his first time at the big show, at least finish top 5.  Giving up no points in that field--stellar.  Max performance.  Sure, how can a gold be anything less than a max performance; well, not giving up a point, that's how.

DT:  the wait was worth it.  Looking at the bracket before we started, I honestly was not sure he would even medal.  Incredibly dominant and gutsy.  Climbing out of 6-2 and 5-1 holes against two hammers, incredible cojones.  Max performance--no one had a tougher route to gold.

Cox:  I guess I was hoping for at least a bronze performance, maybe a finals appearance.  Dude is for real.  Moving up a weight, he exceeded expectations and maxed it out.

Gwiz:  he'll never have an easier path to the finals than this.  Bronze, yeah, fine, but without having to knock off a major stud.  Considering the draw, I'd have to say disappointing.

KS:  wait, how to evaluate before his finals bout?!?!?  Well, we have the match up we all wanted.  Snyder has been solid but not as solid as Sads up to this point.  Will a night of rehydration and rest be to KS's advantage?  Is Sads worn down at all pushing those big bodies all day?  Don't think so--he dispatched everyone quickly with dominance.  Stay tuned!

Good write up

stieber has had two brutal draws the part two worlds. Still, JB and Taylor has draws that weee just as tough. 

I don’t think Stieber makes another world team. No disrespect intended, but between Jordan Oliver. Zain Rutherford, Yianni D and maybe even Eierman, I can’t see him winning trials. 

Im sure his goal is 2020 and we will get to see him compete until then! I love watching him, but with a team in title contention, we can’t have any weights with 0 points. If Snyder wins, we will likely end up losing by 18 points. With even a a 5th place finish here and at 70kg, we would’ve won. We aren’t going to win next year with another 0. 

I think Coach J's analysis is spot on. I would add that I have seen SnyderMan wrestle many times, and I believe that he isn't his old self at this tourney. He's not sharp, crisp or explosive. Also he's gone away from his head snaps. I believe that the problem is that he probably over trained for this event, and is basically stale. But let's hope that with tomorrow, brings new a renewed energy into his mind, body and spirit. 

3 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Good write up

stieber has had two brutal draws the part two worlds. Still, JB and Taylor has draws that weee just as tough. 

I don’t think Stieber makes another world team. No disrespect intended, but between Jordan Oliver. Zain Rutherford, Yianni D and maybe even Eierman, I can’t see him winning trials. 

Im sure his goal is 2020 and we will get to see him compete until then! I love watching him, but with a team in title contention, we can’t have any weights with 0 points. If Snyder wins, we will likely end up losing by 18 points. With even a a 5th place finish here and at 70kg, we would’ve won. We aren’t going to win next year with another 0. 

For some reason, we've struggled at 65 kg.

Since 2017, we've medaled at every single weight class -- except 65 kg. The last wrestler to medal there was Bill Zadick, 12 years ago.

Hopefully the drought ends soon.

Can't really disagree with anything. The only note I have to add is that 65 is a shark tank and Logan just is not on the same level as the others who are ruling the division. I mean you have a perennial title threat in Khinchegashvili getting 10-0d and not even placing. I think all we can hope for is Zain's time off has helped him transition to free and he'll be ready next year. 

And while we had 3 A+ performances from Dake, Taylor, and Cox and a solid A performance from Colon, Gilman, Logan, Green, and even Gwiz did not perform like they should have. Snyder is doing what he should and Burroughs, while not a gold, did perform well and earned a solid bronze in a tough weight.

You can't really expect much from Stieber. Yes, he did win a world title, but it was during an olympic year in an event where nobody who competed in the olympics was allowed to enter.  Retherford is the man at this weight-lets hope he recovers from his injury and is 100% next year.  I could see him making the type of jump that Taylor/Dake/Cox have done. 

My concern with Zain is that his leg attacks aren’t at the level of where Dake’s/Taylor’s/Cox’s were. That’s what’s keeping me from going all in on him as our future and expecting a huge leap from him. All the NCAA wrestlers who have transitioned to elite level have had exceptional leg attacks. Colon is a glaring exception this year, but he is a rarity and not the rule. 

Dont get get me wrong, Zain is a tough SOB and may be the best we have. If he’s our guy, I’m behind him 100%. But I don’t know if he’s the answer. He will be an absolute terror on top when he transitions that skill set, but that is only a killer weapon when paired with elite leg attacks.

Just playing Devil's Advocate and not defending Logan, but isn't 65kg historically the toughest weight? If I recall correctly, there hasn't been a back to back 65kg champ in a long time. Taghavi and Ramonov both had non consecutive Golds in 2009/11 and 2014/16. I think every other weight has had someone win consecutive Golds in that time frame. 

51 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

My concern with Zain is that his leg attacks aren’t at the level of where Dake’s/Taylor’s/Cox’s were. That’s what’s keeping me from going all in on him as our future and expecting a huge leap from him. All the NCAA wrestlers who have transitioned to elite level have had exceptional leg attacks. Colon is a glaring exception this year, but he is a rarity and not the rule. 

Dont get get me wrong, Zain is a tough SOB and may be the best we have. If he’s our guy, I’m behind him 100%. But I don’t know if he’s the answer. He will be an absolute terror on top when he transitions that skill set, but that is only a killer weapon when paired with elite leg attacks.

I don't ever recall Dake pouring on leg attacks.  Much like Retherford, he would score them when necessary and pair them with outstanding defense/top wrestling.  Obviously the top wrestling doesn't mean much anymore, but Zain impressed me in his first time at worlds last year.  

1 hour ago, dmm53 said:

It's arguable that the six Olympic weights are just tougher than the four non-Olympic weights, and they are going to get even tougher in the next two years as folks move up or down.  65KG has always been a meat grinder.  

I don't even think it's debatable - the six Olympics weights are tougher already and will only get better moving forward.  Already seeing title threat guys that would be at weights like 61 (the Uzbek down, Kinch/Aliev up) 70kg (Chamizo) 92kg (Sad) etc moving early.  Bet we see the hammer Russian at 79kg go up next year for worlds. 

1 hour ago, Gantry said:

I don't even think it's debatable - the six Olympics weights are tougher already and will only get better moving forward.  Already seeing title threat guys that would be at weights like 61 (the Uzbek down, Kinch/Aliev up) 70kg (Chamizo) 92kg (Sad) etc moving early.  Bet we see the hammer Russian at 79kg go up next year for worlds. 

I was explaining this too somebody else, that the talent tries to get to the Olympic weight and get acclimated to the everything about it, world medals at non-Olympic weights are nice but much easier to come by, I just with it was uniform and the only thing that separated World and Olympic competition  was how often you got to try each.

Edited by spladle08

1 hour ago, Billyhoyle said:

I don't ever recall Dake pouring on leg attacks.  Much like Retherford, he would score them when necessary and pair them with outstanding defense/top wrestling.  Obviously the top wrestling doesn't mean much anymore, but Zain impressed me in his first time at worlds last year.  

Dake didn’t pour it on because his style was to make the fewest mistakes possible until he realized that against the world’s eite, he needed to take more risk. But if you followed his college career closely, he always had the ability and athleticism required to excel from the feet at the highest level. Even against a neutral position wizard like DT, he scored cleanly and with ease when he was forced to. He also had the ability to go upper body and pullled that skill set out when necessary, even in college. 

Retherford isn’t as slick or quick and had trouble with the truly elite college guys (yes, a very small list). Dake never wrestled anyone he couldn’t outgun from the feet if forced to until he ran into JB. I don’t think the two are similar at all. Zain is more of a grinder while Dake was ánd is slicker.and much more varied in his attacks. That said, the Brands were more grinders than slick technicians or elite athletes and they were world champs, so both styles can work. But I have a hard time seeing a more limited style working conisistently at the world medalist level. For example, I think Nolf may medal before Zain does. 

Edited by wrestlingnerd