Sign in to follow this  
Eagle26

Overtime idea

I can see positives to both the overtime and the criteria. I originally thought it was dumb to not have a true winner via overtime, but over time, (pun intended) I realized criteria created more action at the end of the match. If it’s tied with a minute left, and there is overtime, no one has a sense of urgency to score. If someone is losing on criteria, we end up with these crazy flurries at the end of the match. Why not try to do the best of both worlds. Here’s my idea...

Keep the same criteria, but it doesn’t determine the match. At the end of the regulation, if the match is tied, the guy losing on criteria gets put on an “overtime shot clock”. Same thing as normal shot clock... 30 seconds to score or the other guy gets a point and wins the match. This gives a sense of urgency at the end of regulation and during overtime. Also gets rid of the ridiculous 2-2, 4-4, etc. “wins”, and makes it like every other sport where the winner actually scores more points.

Thoughts?

I've made this suggestion before because it makes sure everyone knows who's winning. Every now and again someone loses a match cause they don't understand that they're losing. I can't remember it happening since 2016 though, and the current system is definitely very exciting 

This idea makes sense in theory but will be a nightmare in practice.  It would place an unbelievable onus on the official to keep the defending athlete engaged.  Then the official would be left with the decision of whether or not to change the winner with a flee call.  I have much greater respect for the level of officiating at the world level than many participants in this board, but this is a responsibility we do NOT want to place on the refs, nor do I believe the top officials would want this responsibility.

This isn't usually a problem with the shot clock as 90% occur in the first period and the benefits of remaining engaged and attempting to score outweigh those of risking a flee call for a nominal single point in the first period.  Look at the difficulty keeping the winning athlete engaged in the final 15 seconds of the match, multiply this problem and apply it to 30 extra seconds in every tie match.

No thanks.  Criteria makes for a good product.

6 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I like rewarding biggest move. That’s one feature of the criteria I really like. Other than that, I’m all for the shot clock idea. 

This idea still rewards the biggest move by placing the other person on the shot clock

6 hours ago, LJB said:

seems unnecessary to add an additional 30 seconds when that mentality should have been there to begin with...

The reason would be to not allow a match to end in a tie and declare a winner who did not score more points than his opponent.

4 hours ago, JHRoseWrestling said:

This idea makes sense in theory but will be a nightmare in practice.  It would place an unbelievable onus on the official to keep the defending athlete engaged.  Then the official would be left with the decision of whether or not to change the winner with a flee call.  I have much greater respect for the level of officiating at the world level than many participants in this board, but this is a responsibility we do NOT want to place on the refs, nor do I believe the top officials would want this responsibility.

This isn't usually a problem with the shot clock as 90% occur in the first period and the benefits of remaining engaged and attempting to score outweigh those of risking a flee call for a nominal single point in the first period.  Look at the difficulty keeping the winning athlete engaged in the final 15 seconds of the match, multiply this problem and apply it to 30 extra seconds in every tie match.

No thanks.  Criteria makes for a good product.

This is a good point, but what’s the difference between this and the way it is currently at the end of regulation though? The ref currently has to decide the same thing in the final 30 seconds of the match. I don’t think it changes anything

I agree that criteria is sufficient. Didn't used to like it, but I'm also a full convert now. You know going in that big moves are better than small moves and fleeing/passivity are worse than giving up a pushout. Scoring late is more valuable than scoring early. It's no different from having a number value on it. You know their comparative values in your mind.

If you like for the scoreboard to say that one person has one more point than the other, just add 1 in your mind at the end. That's no different than adding a phantom 1 for "winning" the proposed shot clock idea without scoring a real point.

1 minute ago, maligned said:

Much better option. Even better yet would be going to an officials' decision where the three officials vote on who they think was more deserving of the win.

Great idea, they say the refs don't get paid enough. With something like this they will be making at least six figures if not more per tournament.

1 minute ago, BobDole said:

Great idea, they say the refs don't get paid enough. With something like this they will be making at least six figures if not more per tournament.

Exactly. They've been underpaid for years. Time to make up for it.

Bunch of comedians!!

I’m in the camp of saying no need to add an extra 30 seconds.  I’m liking the rules today.  Can it be a bit confusing?  Yes. If we can work on a way to make it less confusing but still have the idea that someone is always in the lead by the time the second period comes around, that would be good.