Sign in to follow this  
scribe

Why can’t we import some free agent russkies?

Why would we want to?

Are we Italy? Spain? Bahrain? Canada? The US has a very competitive national wrestling scene; may not dominate the world like the Russians (Dagestanis and, to a lesser degree, Ossetians) do but certainly in no need to add imports just to boost up the team a bit (while denying a bunch of US kids the spot). 

Now, supplementing the coaching staff with some external expertise would be a diff story. Beloglazov would be one example...

32 minutes ago, de4856 said:

Why would we want to import foreign wrestlers to compete for us? This should be about the American wrestling system vs the other country's wrestling systems/programs. That's why we have our flag on our singlets. 

America is a nation of immigrants. I’m all for a Russian or three coming here, less for the immediate shot in the arm and more for their potential impact on their training partners and the US wrestling scene overall. I thought the Russian visit to the NYC RTC and the Okie State room from last year was awesome. 

I"m sure we would get them if we could, but the ones who switch countries do so to make the team because they can't in Russia.  They wouldn't then move to such a tough country to make the team when there are many easier ones in the region.  

Some of them are good enough to make the team for Russia, not sure how the exact process is that they end up wrestling for other countries. Sharifov was winning world and olympic golds for Azerbaijan in a time when Russia couldn't even get on the podium at 84.  That 66kg who won the 2007 world gold and 2008 olympic gold for Turkey, I can't remember his name. 

11 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

Some of them are good enough to make the team for Russia, not sure how the exact process is that they end up wrestling for other countries. Sharifov was winning world and olympic golds for Azerbaijan in a time when Russia couldn't even get on the podium at 84.  That 66kg who won the 2007 world gold and 2008 olympic gold for Turkey, I can't remember his name. 

RAmazan Sahin

We've gone the free agent route before many years ago.  Abdurrahim Kuzu (Turk) took a silver at worlds for us in greco in 1979; great wrestler, but, well he had other issues.  Having coached with two great foreign competitors, Miron Kharchilava (Soviet Junior and University national champ) and Alberto Rodriguez (2x World Bronze Medalist), I can tell you the path to citizenship is harder in the US than in most other competitive wrestling nations.

Based on my experiences in the North Caucasus, most of them hardly consider themselves Russian and would kill for a chance to even live in the USA, much less wrestle for them. They like USA wrestling and frequently wear T Shirts and other USA gear.

Yep happened a couple times before in greco - Sahin and the 57kg from Uzbekistan whose name I'm flaking on.  I think they both joined the army, not sure if they were citizens or not at the time they represented us or not.

3 hours ago, Gantry said:

Yep happened a couple times before in greco - Sahin and the 57kg from Uzbekistan whose name I'm flaking on.  I think they both joined the army, not sure if they were citizens or not at the time they represented us or not.

You have to be a citizen and have a valid passport from the country you represent.

UZB was Hafizov

Edited by olddirty

5 hours ago, manyak said:

Based on my experiences in the North Caucasus, most of them hardly consider themselves Russian and would kill for a chance to even live in the USA, much less wrestle for them. They like USA wrestling and frequently wear T Shirts and other USA gear.

I haven't been to the North Caucasus but I've been to Georgia and the whole time I was there they wanted to toast the USA and sing it's praises.  And American sports gear was everywhere.