Sign in to follow this  
THEMAN

Sadulaev by pin little over a minute

19 minutes ago, freestyle_fan said:

Hi @Coach_J - here is the video.. it has 0.28 seconds of commerical in the beginning but after that you would see the match. Most of the other youtube videos are currently blocked due to copyrights i believe.

Oh good. Snyder could have just as easily got out of that. He wasn’t pinned with the move. Just wasn’t positioned well when Sad turned on him. 

19 minutes ago, rcoates1 said:

It was a sudden weird position.  He never hits this move.  Sad felt a position and caught Kyle in it.  If he was pinning guys in it all the time or hitting it all the time that would be different. 

Sadulaev hit the move earlier in the tournament.  He clearly had been adding it to his arsenal - wisely.  It takes a lot of energy to finish shots straight on against bigger guys.  

the action after stuffing the initial shot was not defended well at all. snyder had sad's head stuck under and arms extended but he never broke sad's grip or tried to get sad off his knee. both are pretty bad deficiencies at the world level, let alone a kid who's winning multiple world level golds. but giving up his arm and getting dumped is shocking. that's tough to see in a high school kid. i still can't believe that happened.

Kudos to both for the good showing of sportsmanship before and after the match. Shook hands before the official handshake and Sad made sure to shake Snyder's hand again after getting his arm raised. Very classy. Sometimes it's not always so bad when rivals don't hate each other's guts.

Just now, bnwtwg said:

Kudos to both for the good showing of sportsmanship before and after the match. Shook hands before the official handshake and Sad made sure to shake Snyder's hand again after getting his arm raised. Very classy. Sometimes it's not always so bad when rivals don't hate each other's guts.

Even though the loss hurts, I agree. I think also both of these guys view wrestling as more about perfecting the art over the course of a career as opposed to just winning or losing, not that this doesn't sting for Synder. Interesting to see how the rivalry develops.

I think this match was more about Kyle's preparation, condition and tactics, than it was about Sadulaev. I think that Kyle has been a little off for a while now. I believe that the warning signs were there with the Beat the Streets match, ( yes I understand the slippery conditions and all ), but Kyle still gave up a ton of points in that match and had to mount a tremendous comeback to pull it out. Then at Yasur Dogu Kyle drops a match to Alborov, a guy he clearly dominated the year before at the World's.

At this competition Kyle did not look crisp, or sharp, he was not using his usual technique of working his opponents over with his brutal heads naps. I think somewhere along the way, Kyle and his coaching staff got off course, and we saw a stale Kyle with a different game plan. Meanwhile, I have no doubt that Sadulaev and his staff have spent the last year gearing up for this. 

So I guess my point is that Kyle and his coaches are going to have to regroup here and figure things out, and possibly look at some other training methods and partners. Hopefully Kyle and his coaches already know this, but if not, maybe they'll read this post. 

10 minutes ago, gutfirst said:

the action after stuffing the initial shot was not defended well at all. snyder had sad's head stuck under and arms extended but he never broke sad's grip or tried to get sad off his knee. both are pretty bad deficiencies at the world level, let alone a kid who's winning multiple world level golds. but giving up his arm and getting dumped is shocking. that's tough to see in a high school kid. i still can't believe that happened.

Tom Ryan...line 1

Well, there it is again.

The Russians are excellent at improvising and turning their opponents from anywhere. IMO, this a huge reason why they have been the best freestylers in the world.

Sadulaev is a black belt freestyler.

36 minutes ago, ptz305 said:

Getting caught = someone sets a trap for you and you fall into it. 

Snyder got caught. They could wrestle 100 more times and he'd never get caught in this again because he wouldn't hang his arms. 

Snyder walked into the strength of his opponent. Snyder is a known "slow starter" and was facing a wrestler who is quicker and faster than him - at least for the first half to 2/3s of the match. A wrestler who is technically superior even if not as highly conditioned.

Sad has this and many others as "planned moves" he can use against the strength of Snyder. As they go forward more of the technical superiority will come out. IF Snyder can move into Sad as moves start and force the pace driving into moves he can win. He doesn't do that early and it will cost him against this opponent, a wrestler with superior technique who has now grown into the weight.

Remember the Russian Coach and his boast?

Major league scouting and picking apart Kyle Snyder's moves, his balance and his tendencies while honing the techniques to use against him in different situations. The first goal was "end it early" just as the coach said. In this match his wrestler followed the plan and it worked.

Will Kyle go back and forth with him in the future? Not if he keeps to his current game plan and starts slow. He will need to go directly into Sad's moves and blunt them with strength and improved technique. More side to side and finesse. He's against a man who will always be quicker than him so will have to get in the way of the finishing moves - stop them as they start and turn this into offensive moves of his own.

He can probably do it - but a change in strategy will have to be made.

8 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

I’d be much worried if he got teched, was that the first time Snyder has been on his back since Gadson? I haven’t seen him even give up exposure let alone being kept there. 

He's given up exposure before... he got 4'd at Beat the Streets 2018 and World Cup 2017, to name a couple.  

24 minutes ago, de4856 said:

At this competition Kyle did not look crisp, or sharp, he was not using his usual technique of working his opponents over with his brutal heads naps. I think somewhere along the way, Kyle and his coaching staff got off course, and we saw a stale Kyle with a different game plan. 

Not that I have any right to say this, but this is a message board after all.... Maybe pounding on and getting pounded on by the one of the best fully sized heavies in recent memory isn’t the best way to train for Sadulaev. Maybe Akgul’s poor performance is just a coincidence, but training with Snyder doesn’t seem to have helped him either. I’m saying this somewhat tongue in cheek. Sparring with a guy like Dake, as he occasionally does when they’re training in the same room, is much better practice for a smaller, slicker, and technically varied Sadualev. 

Two things:

1) We called that move the "Chest Crusher". When someone sprawls on you and drapes their arm(s) over the side (can hook one or two), you cinch it up tight and hit a little hip-heist. If it is tight, it is very difficult to get out and you are usually having a hard time breathing. Look closely at how tightly Sad has the elbow hooked. It doesn't work unless you are very strong and a bit explosive. Obviously, Sadulaev has those qualities.

2) I find that losing by "getting caught" is still a good predictor of the next match.

Snyder made the world finals and got hit in a move by the best p4p guy in the world.  Does he really need to make huge adjustments in his training like many are commenting or he has lost track?  IMO, he has to tweak a few small tactics against one guy.  Remove one guy from the bracket and Snyder wins this tournament 9/10 times.

9 minutes ago, olddirty said:

Snyder made the world finals and got hit in a move by the best p4p guy in the world.  Does he really need to make huge adjustments in his training like many are commenting or he has lost track?  IMO, he has to tweak a few small tactics against one guy.  Remove one guy from the bracket and Snyder wins this tournament 9/10 times.

agreed. looks like a tactical error on his part to me...

2 hours ago, MSU158 said:

Did you just call Sadulaev a lesser opponent?  If not, you may need to work on your segues.  

Nope... my segues suck.  What I'm saying is that all of us have been caught at one point by lesser opponents, let alone someone like Sadulaev.  So... blah

2 hours ago, de4856 said:

I think this match was more about Kyle's preparation, condition and tactics, than it was about Sadulaev. I think that Kyle has been a little off for a while now. I believe that the warning signs were there with the Beat the Streets match, ( yes I understand the slippery conditions and all ), but Kyle still gave up a ton of points in that match and had to mount a tremendous comeback to pull it out. Then at Yasur Dogu Kyle drops a match to Alborov, a guy he clearly dominated the year before at the World's.

At this competition Kyle did not look crisp, or sharp, he was not using his usual technique of working his opponents over with his brutal heads naps. I think somewhere along the way, Kyle and his coaching staff got off course, and we saw a stale Kyle with a different game plan. Meanwhile, I have no doubt that Sadulaev and his staff have spent the last year gearing up for this. 

So I guess my point is that Kyle and his coaches are going to have to regroup here and figure things out, and possibly look at some other training methods and partners. Hopefully Kyle and his coaches already know this, but if not, maybe they'll read this post. 

And yet... he STILL took home a WORLD SILVER.

As I mentioned many times on this board before, the 2nd match will not be close. This is generally the case with the Russians: you can win once, but after that you get scouted to death and they will probably beat you. I think Snyder will have a hard time with Sadulaev in the future. Sadulaev is really an incredible talent. So is Snyder, but Sadulaev is just a tiny 1 notch above in technique and speed. That said, despite his win, I am still not sure why he went to 97kg and not stayed at 86kg.  Still haven't read a good explanation except he does not like cutting weight.

I think Sadulaev will lose at some point, but not to Snyder, more like Alborov or someone like that will catch him in a lace or something.