Sign in to follow this  
freestyle_fan

Sadulaev Interview - from wrestdag

Below is the interview Sadulaev gave to RIA Novosti, translated to English using google translation via Chrome browser

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In an interview with RIA Novosti, the captain of the Russian national team spoke about the long-awaited revenge he managed to take from American Kyle Snyder, his rivals' special mood, the reasons for the failure at last year’s world championship and the desire to become a two-time Olympic champion in Tokyo in 2020.

- Abdulrashid, everyone was waiting for a rematch with Snyder - both fans and coaches, and, of course, you. And it turned out more than convincing. Did you expect this from yourself?

- Honestly, I did not think that everything will turn out so quickly. I tuned in and was ready to fight all six minutes of the fight. But right at the beginning I had a good chance, and I managed to use it. I went on the attack, and Snyder was wrong. But you understand that this is a sport - in it it is punished for mistakes ( smiles ).

- After the fight, you threw up your hand triumphantly and said something. What exactly?

- You know, I did it on emotions. Now I do not even remember what I said ( smiles ).

- Maybe something like "I did it!"?

- Probably. But I understand that this is not the end, that the rivalry between us will continue.

- With what attitude did you go out for a fight that you had been waiting for a whole year, and in which there were a lot of things at stake, if not all?

- My mood was fighting. And I very much wanted to take revenge. Of course, it was possible to do this both at the Yarygin memorial and at the Olympic Games. But patience, as they say, is the key to heaven. And today I was once again convinced.

After all, Dzambolat Tedeev, the head coach of the Russian national team, set me up, and other team coaches. And, of course, I myself was very carefully tuned. He believed in victory and hoped for the Almighty.

- What have you changed since the victory at the Olympic Games?

- The status of the Olympic champion is a special status. Everyone knows you well - both rivals and fans. The weakest wrestlers now also tune on you so much, like beasts on a hunt. And it becomes more difficult to win each time. I myself know that now I need to work even more to be a cut above the rivals.

- What do you feel internally after the recent birth of your daughter?

- I have not had time to feel anything yet, my daughter has not even seen it yet. Now I will fly home, I have all the emotions ahead ( smiles ).

- Tedeev said that you approached this tournament in a position of a person standing firmly on his feet. How do you explain this?

- He said that because he saw how I train, how I feel about preparing for the World Cup. Even at the training camp can see how people are ready to compete. Dzambolat Ilyich saw what kind of work I did and how I laid out in fights. I always stood confidently on the ground, but after the Olympics in Rio, I had a long break from work on the carpet. This may have affected the result of last year’s World Cup. I had to start training early and do a couple of starts before him. Just had to perform at the championship of Russia.

- What needs to be done in the time remaining before the Olympic Games in Tokyo to go forward as confidently as before?

- I know that now rivals will tune me even stronger. And not only Snyder, but also other wrestlers. Even within our country, we have very strong competition. Ahead of us and the pre-Olympic World Cup, which must necessarily win a license, and, of course, the Games in Tokyo. Now we will be purposefully preparing for the Olympics, I think that everything should go up the stairs. We must move gradually, step by step, from the tournament to the tournament.

- Now you have taken revenge on Snyder, a vivid event occurred in family life - the birth of a daughter. How to combine personal life with sports?

- Sport for me is work. And personal life is something special. And when I am at home, I give all my attention to the family. But training camps are time consuming. And my family understands this well. Therefore, I think everything will be fine ( smiles ).

- You had a dream - to take revenge on Snyder. Now it is executed - what will be next?

- Next only one - to become a two-time Olympic champion.

Edited by freestyle_fan

The world is an interesting place -- after his loss, Snyder talked about his faith in Jesus; and here we see Sad. talking about naming his newborn daughter, Aminah, after the Prophet Muhammad's mother.  So, obviously, faith is big in both their lives.  Which says a lot about our sport -- and only in a positive way.

But, being from different faiths, it reminds me of the famous parlay between Richard the Lionheart and Saladin in the 1100's, almost 1,000 years ago.

Part of it was a feat of arms.

And Richard hoisted his two-handed broadsword over his head and cut an iron bar in half.

And Saladin tossed a silk scarf into the air, and cut it in half with his scimitar.

Totally different styles.  Both absolutely lethal.

5 hours ago, Brutus1981 said:

The world is an interesting place -- after his loss, Snyder talked about his faith in Jesus; and here we see Sad. talking about naming his newborn daughter, Aminah, after the Prophet Muhammad's mother.  So, obviously, faith is big in both their lives.  Which says a lot about our sport -- and only in a positive way.

But, being from different faiths, it reminds me of the famous parlay between Richard the Lionheart and Saladin in the 1100's, almost 1,000 years ago.

Part of it was a feat of arms.

And Richard hoisted his two-handed broadsword over his head and cut an iron bar in half.

And Saladin tossed a silk scarf into the air, and cut it in half with his scimitar.

Totally different styles.  Both absolutely lethal.

Last year Sad was Saladin and Snyder was Richard. 

This year Sad was Saladin and Richard.