Jump to content
Coach_J

Enjoy the current US overall lead...

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, 2td3nf said:

Yes, it was an 8-7 match but Thielke got his first 5 points on passivity followed by 2 guts, which is great. But they go back on their feet and bada bing bada boom, Islamov takes him down and scores 2 easy trap arms, goes up 6-5 just like that. 2nd period starts and Islamov arm throws Thielke across the mat to go up 8-5, Thielke gets 2 more points at the end on passivity for 8-7 final. Still thought Thielke was dominated.

Ragdoll or not, the bigger picture, what happened? Did the Greco athletes not know what their training schedule was prior to World's? Was it really that draining? Isn't training their "job"? Ok, if they're being overworked and not getting enough sleep, maybe. Is that the case? Would love to hear the other side of the story and Hancock's story.

ugh...

yes, thielke EARNED his first point by controlling center and forcing the action... those guts were not given to him... they were EARNED... 

yes, thielke was taken down and then while fighting for position he fell into a trap... that **** doesn't just happen... it is EARNED...

yes, thielke got arm spinned because he came out pushing forward too much and paid for it... those are tactics by islamov...

and yes, thielke finally got a caution and 2 for islamov blocking off which he did for the entire match... again, those are tactics by islamov...

was thielke dominated?

absolute silliness...

 

as far as the harsh words for the situation, thielke is a nut... he can't be put into a box... they tried at the OTC and that experiment failed... it created some harsh feelings... thielke has found a home at LOG... clearly it has helped as evidenced by him making the world team again after rio... i'm just not ready to go all in on a bad training situation being the root cause with the history being what it is...

if anything, maybe some of the greco leadership might have to learn that they are dealing with outliers... guys who the traditional US wrestling system didn't appeal to them... guys who do not fit into any box... why else are they focused on the step child of US wrestling... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greco is impossible to watch, especially after the awesome Freestyle worlds. I watched 1 match this year and stopped 1/2 way. In contrast I watched all of the main matches at the FS worlds. Its unbelievable that Greco is taking Olympic spots away from Freestyle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you've done greco, you get it and you how to watch and appreciate what's going on.  But I totally understand the outsider who sees it as boring.  I thought the same of soccer but I've recently changed my view (takes about a 12 pack to really get into it but it's fun to watch with a crowd of die-hards).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, wfan24 said:

Greco is impossible to watch, especially after the awesome Freestyle worlds. I watched 1 match this year and stopped 1/2 way. In contrast I watched all of the main matches at the FS worlds. Its unbelievable that Greco is taking Olympic spots away from Freestyle.

Then you've missed some incredible stuff today. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Coach_J said:

If you've done greco, you get it and you how to watch and appreciate what's going on.  But I totally understand the outsider who sees it as boring.  I thought the same of soccer but I've recently changed my view (takes about a 12 pack to really get into it but it's fun to watch with a crowd of die-hards).

^ this...

i have pretty much quit trying to convince people otherwise... i never wrestled greco or any other style for that matter, but, from the moment my kids were convinced to stick around for the greco session when they 10 and 8 just so a friend had someone to wrestle i was hooked... and we knew nothing about greco... wrestled in OK at the time and there is one person in that state that knows greco and he keeps it to himself... 

you either get it or you don't...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, LJB said:

^ this...

i have pretty much quit trying to convince people otherwise... i never wrestled greco or any other style for that matter, but, from the moment my kids were convinced to stick around for the greco session when they 10 and 8 just so a friend had someone to wrestle i was hooked... and we knew nothing about greco... wrestled in OK at the time and there is one person in that state that knows greco and he keeps it to himself... 

you either get it or you don't...

That means there is a problem with greco

if you can only enjoy the sport if you are a hardcore fan, then the sport is never going to be popular in the US. 

They fixed freestyle. They should do the same for Greco. 

I watched thousands of hours of wrestling a year. Maybe 10 of those hours are Greco. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wrestling is a niche sport to begin with... the only people that enjoy the sport are hardcore fans... there are no casual fans outside of a few pockets in this country... greco is a niche within the niche...

outside of this country there is nothing wrong with greco... it is enjoyed and appreciated by more than free...

you guys have to quit looking at everything through an amercan centric view... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2018 at 12:25 PM, LJB said:

wrestling is a niche sport to begin with... the only people that enjoy the sport are hardcore fans... there are no casual fans outside of a few pockets in this country... greco is a niche within the niche...

outside of this country there is nothing wrong with greco... it is enjoyed and appreciated by more than free...

you guys have to quit looking at everything through an amercan centric view... 

If you want to grow wrestling, you have to make it more fan friendly. That isn’t exactly a controversial take. 

Greco would be better off if it had the same following in the US as freestyle, right? 

Folkstyle has plenty of casual fans. Have you been to duals in Iowa? Stands are packed and half the people there can only name a couple people on whatever team they support. This is a good thing! I’d love for other styles of wrestling to draw those same people. Freestyle is starting to. Greco is not. 

Yes, this is an American centric view. I’m talking about building an American fan base. I literally stated that I was talking about the sport growing in the US in my post. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×