Sign in to follow this  
russelscout

What percentage of wrestling fans decided not to pay the 30 bucks for the worlds.

What percentage didn't pay a geographical fine, but watched anyway?  Turns out, fairly low.  I was surprised at how few actually watched the broadcasts.  There was a number on the screen presumably indicating the number of people receiving the stream.  For Snyder/Sadulaev that was about 39K.  Much less for other sessions/matches.  Might be a good metric for the Greco/FS popularity discussion.

8 minutes ago, teach said:

95% or more.  It is easier to just follow on twitter and then watch replays later.  Oh and some fans didn't even know it was going on.......

This seems pretty realistic. Most casual fans don't watch every college match, but I know many who tune in to the whole NCAA's via espn 3. $30 just seemed high to me. Most adults have no problem paying that, but how many high school kids and college kids are going to do that? I talked to a few people before the Worlds and immediately the discussion was about whether or not you were going to pay the $30 to watch it. I don't know trackwrestlings financials, but it doesn't seem like a good long term model to demand a fee that many won't pay to watch the super bowl of our sport. 

I did not watch, but the $30 wasn't a barrier. I was traveling ahead of the event and through the MFS sessions, and then catching up at work after traveling - simply didn't have time to watch this one. 

I probably could have made time for Greco, and I might have shelled it out late if we had a guy medal...still might I suppose, but I'll probably just watch replays when they go public. 

7 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

What percentage didn't pay a geographical fine, but watched anyway?  Turns out, fairly low.  I was surprised at how few actually watched the broadcasts.  There was a number on the screen presumably indicating the number of people receiving the stream.  For Snyder/Sadulaev that was about 39K.  Much less for other sessions/matches.  Might be a good metric for the Greco/FS popularity discussion.

That is extremely low for a team that had more recognizable names than any team USA has EVER had. 

5 minutes ago, russelscout said:

That is extremely low for a team that had more recognizable names than any team USA has EVER had

That is a global statistic.  I doubt it includes USA, Japan, India or other countries where the UWW broadcast was prohibited. Also, I'd guess the USA had fewer than  5K viewers

Edited by Plasmodium
Had 2 more cents

22 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

That is a global statistic.  I doubt it includes USA, Japan, India or other countries where the UWW broadcast was prohibited. Also, I'd guess the USA had fewer than  5K viewers

Thats not good. Spoke to a head college coach, who follows all levels closely. He had a high school tourney he was going to watch that weekend to recruit, so decided he probably wouldn't pay to get the coverage since he was going to miss a lot of it. Is it better to get the $30 dollars per person from a small base of fans, or actually build interest and make it available to everyone? Is that even possible?