Sign in to follow this  
maligned

Kamal Bey at worlds

Any thoughts on Bey's progress at worlds? 

My two cents: He's soooooo tantalizingly dynamic. I have the feeling he could score on anybody he wants virtually anytime he wants--but with a big "if." The "if" is that he has to be the one that pressures.  Anytime he's on the offense, he creates endless openings because of how dynamic and creative and reactive he is. It really seems he could score at will if he were capable of pressuring a whole match. The big question in my mind is whether he can evolve into an athlete with a gas tank for a high-pressure 6 minutes rather than the first 25% of the match and then again in desperation.

I would love to send him overseas for a year of training and tournaments in a region that is known for having a great feel for positions and pressure in the neutral battle.  See if his approach evolves after getting an in-depth feel for how those guys are doing it on a regular basis.  The athleticism is there, but I think sometimes it gets him into trouble for using it at the wrong time or as mentioned before using it too early in wasted attacks that get him worn down. Having that feel in neutral of when to pressure and what position to work from is so huge in the Greco neutral battling.  In America we just don’t have enough of that and domestically can get away with it more against each other compared to the overseas guys.  Seems like he’s able to just stick to his normal ways with mostly the US team to train with and spar against.  Getting out of that rut (until we as a whole develop more) maybe what he needs to get to the next level before 2020. 

Edited by MadMardigain

I talked about this before, but as I said then I will say now, his defense is offense, so when he gets a guy he can't score on, he has a lot of trouble not being scored on himself. 
It currently just doesn't translate to senior level success, if he can get that defense looking a little nicer, his ability to throw is other worldly, he COULD definitely be a force. 
Just not as currently constructed

Bey is certainly a huge talent and so exciting to watch. HIs upside is so high, but he hasn't yet made the choice, to commit, all in to be the best. I am not knocking him, he is still just a kid. However, he has yet to buy in to training like a mad man, and living the lifestyle 24/7/365. Only time will tell. He does have the skill and talent to win multiple World Medals, Gold nlcuded for many years to come. 

Edited by bman546

49 minutes ago, bman546 said:

Bey is certainly a huge talent and so exciting to watch. HIs upside is so high, but he hasn't yet made the choice, to commit, all in to be the best. I am not knocking him, he is still just a kid. However, he has yet to buy in to training like a mad man, and living the lifestyle 24/7/365. Only time will tell. He does have the skill and talent to win multiple World Medals, Gold nlcuded for many years to come. 

If true, this almost sounds like an epidemic on USA's senior Greco team. Hancock gets booted from camp, Thielke's interview and now Kamal's attitude? 

Unfortunate to hear all this negative stuff and then see all the poor results from the American Greco athletes. Really rooting for these guys and totally want to see some of them tear it up on the world stage.

I'm not bashing Coach Lindland here. Although I have no idea what's going on in his training camps, I love what the guy has to say in nearly all his interviews. Plus I met him once and he was nice as can be to me.

Well, I am hopeful that whatever is going on with Thielke, Hancock, and whatever else can be rectified. I hope that our Greco program can improve to the point that we are in a position where it's very probably that we can win a number of medals at the World Championships. 

Thielke's attitude should not be mentioned as similar to Bey etc. Thielke is working his butt off, and buys in to what it takes to wi world medals. Thielke was just voicing his opinion on being over seas for 4 weeks going into the worlds was not the proper way to prepare.  Bey shows up at practice, most of the time, but skips when he feels like it. He doesn't train at a a level those winning medals train at despite having more skill and talent than them. They have tolerated Bey doing this because he is so talented and potentially the face of American Greco for many years to come (that is, if he is able to get his act together). 

4 hours ago, bman546 said:

Thielke's attitude should not be mentioned as similar to Bey etc. Thielke is working his butt off, and buys in to what it takes to wi world medals. Thielke was just voicing his opinion on being over seas for 4 weeks going into the worlds was not the proper way to prepare.  Bey shows up at practice, most of the time, but skips when he feels like it. He doesn't train at a a level those winning medals train at despite having more skill and talent than them. They have tolerated Bey doing this because he is so talented and potentially the face of American Greco for many years to come (that is, if he is able to get his act together). 

How do you skip practice when you live at the OTC? They are giving him everything! 

On 11/25/2018 at 8:01 PM, bman546 said:

It’s really that bad? What is wrong with our Greco guys? Seems like Hancock was having similar issues, Thielke can’t take criticism and the only medalist isn’t really a part of USA Greco (or is just becoming part of it? Hard to credit our Greco program for Coon’s success)

it also seems like the team isn’t all that close. That matters. Anyone who has wrestled can speak to the value of having supportive people around you when you go through the grind, no matter what level