Sign in to follow this  
GranbyTroll

Does the NCAA produce better Greco wrestlers than the OTC?

For decades people have talked about how freestyle wrestlers often have their best performance at worlds because the NCAA season prepares our athletes so well for high level competition. Coon just waltzed into the finals coming fresh off the folkstyle season while Bey has spent two years training Greco and barely won a single match. Should more of our NCAA guys should try Greco?

At some point, talent trumps technique.

The problem with our Greco program is that it is not attracting enough elite talent.  Obviously, our most talented wrestlers are competing in D-1. 

That being said, as a former Greco wrestler, I don’t know how we attract more elite talent to the discipline given how awful I think the on mat product currently is.

Coon's pinning move is just shear mass and the inability to resist it. You can't make anyone into that at any development program (outside of Putin's program). I'd have to see many more examples before stepping off on the idea folkstyle development is ideal for anything other than folkstyle.

Let’s be honest, outside of Kyle Snyder, most college heavyweight matchups are Greco matches anyway. It’s a lot of pushing and pulling and waiting for the moment to get your opponent off balance. 

Coon is just such a freak monster and such a talented big man. He damn near made the team in both free and Greco, and then our freestyle rep got his second straight world bronze.  I wonder if Coon will 100% focus on Greco now or if he’ll still flirt with freestyle?

I don't think any Division 1 wrestler if he stopped today and concentrated on Greco forever is going to be Kamal Bey. That's an Elite Talent but yes we could probably use more of them

Edited by ConnorsDad
Spelling

OTC=Over the counter? No you don't take a pill to be a great Greco wrestler. 

Speaking of which whatever happened to the Greco/Romans?

They have not been relevant since 1655. The modern manifestation of Greeks and Italians I mean

Edited by krazzy

it's tough to replicate the training pace, consistency and volume that occurs in college wrestling anywhere else in the us. i think with the right teaching and training we'd do better on the world level by pulling more former ncaa wrestler into greco after college. 

If a state without any high school wrestling--Mississippi--started high school wrestling programs in their schools but rather than folkstyle they only wrestled Greco...  Would we soon see the world team members all coming from Mississippi?

2 hours ago, Pinnum said:

If a state without any high school wrestling--Mississippi--started high school wrestling programs in their schools but rather than folkstyle they only wrestled Greco...  Would we soon see the world team members all coming from Mississippi?

No. They would have to develop a wrestling culture. The athletic lighter kids would all need to wrestle. Maybe in 15 or 20 years

20 hours ago, 2td3nf said:

I don't really follow Fargo, so what's happening to all the athletes that are winning and placing at Fargo Greco?

many, probably most of them, are also winning in freestyle and folkstyle and very few of them specialize in greco. even if they prefer greco to freestyle they are still wrestling folk instead of training full time in greco.