Jump to content
2td3nf

Yarygin 2019

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, alliseeisgold said:

russians taking it to usa ....gilman, green schooled and chamberlin likewise. chamberlin did beat the china man who impressed vs metcalf

unpopular not so wild opinion  - green and gilman are at best fringe bronze medal candidates in worlds, the trend is downward with green and gilman is proving to be a notch below when faced with non watered down tournaments. i don't expect medals at those weights at worlds. amazing how easily the russian got to gilmans legs 

 

I wouldn’t use the Yarygin as the only measure of their ability. It’s probably not easy to travel to Siberia in January and compete. And I doubt these guys had much time to acclimate to the area.

It’s like when we perform well at Beat the Streets against foreign wrestlers. Our results there are generally more impressive than our results at worlds. 

Edited by Katie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, alliseeisgold said:

russians taking it to usa ....gilman, green schooled and chamberlin likewise. chamberlin did beat the china man who impressed vs metcalf

unpopular not so wild opinion  - green and gilman are at best fringe bronze medal candidates in worlds, the trend is downward with green and gilman is proving to be a notch below when faced with non watered down tournaments. i don't expect medals at those weights at worlds. amazing how easily the russian got to gilmans legs 

 

I mean yeah, that's what they are.  Bronze medal contenders.  

We have youth coming up behind them, but if they're the reps again in 2019 it's not the worst thing in the world.  Both have a good shot at scoring team points and potentially medaling.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, alliseeisgold said:

the richards match may have been one of the worst managed matches i've ever seen, tossed for 4 to lose with a 4 point lead in last few seconds

up 7-3 with 20 seconds left why didn't he give up the out of bounds and give the point up vs fight it? you could hear the coach telling richards to score another point to go up 8-3 at the end and he should of been playing defense

 

 

I think you are being to nice. Hands down the worst I've ever seen. What was he doing? He was ahead! Waaaaaayyyyyyy ahead! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gilman looked great against Cuba.

In his match against Magomedov, looked like Gilman's left club to the head really ticked off the Russian who then proceeded to put on a freestyle clinic. What a technician Magomedov is. Strong as a bull too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

I mean yeah, that's what they are.  Bronze medal contenders.  

We have youth coming up behind them, but if they're the reps again in 2019 it's not the worst thing in the world.  Both have a good shot at scoring team points and potentially medaling.  

 

I actually thought Gilman looked alright. We'll obviously have to wait to see how he does tonight, but he got to his leg attacks a lot more last night than he did at worlds. I think that Russian might be emerging as an early 2019 favorite at the weight and Gilman has shown he's pretty good at making adjustments, so I wouldn't rule him out quite yet. He could certainly win it if he gets hot, but Bronze is probably the reasonable expectation at this point. Good depth at this weight for the USA too. I think we have 3 legit medal contenders for 2020 at 57 kg in Gilman, Fix, and Lee. Fix and Lee might have the most upside in terms of bursting on the scene to compete for a title, but I think Gilman is a step ahead at this point. Regardless, we're in pretty good shape here. Amazing to think back just a few years ago when we would have killed for that kind of depth at any weight, and yet many here would list this weight as one of our "holes." Awesome to see the development. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

finally got around to watching gilman's matches... yes, he did to get to legs on magomedov but it isn't just about touching legs... it is about finishing... he couldn't and gave up points because of it... he definitely seems to be improving, but, it might be a bridge too far at this point in his life... he got a silver world medal... more prestigious than anything he could have done at NCAAs... good on him...

i want fix/lee to take the torch going forward...

but that is on them...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gilman cleanly dominated the Turk in repechage. He was a lot taller and seemed to be stronger. 3 push outs, a double leg into a lace (the Turk kind of looked for an elevator off the double then bailed...I thought it was a 4pt move), then finished it off with 2 more push outs for a 9-0. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rashidov with 2 tds in the 2nd to take it 4-3. Zain's offense looked pretty strong against a really good defensive wrestler but when Rashidov committed to shots, he scored. Zain looks like he has small defensive liabilities right now on the world level that he'll need to tighten up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you could see that coming a mile away.....zadick saw it, great coaching. Told Zain he needed 1 more takedown the last two minutes and he didn't even try. Obviously he can he had no problem to start the match. You just aren't going to hold elite competition to 0 points for that amount of time and in crunch time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, alliseeisgold said:

you could see that coming a mile away.....zadick saw it, great coaching. Told Zain he needed 1 more takedown the last two minutes and he didn't even try. Obviously he can he had no problem to start the match. You just aren't going to hold elite competition to 0 points for that amount of time and in crunch time

Agreed. When Rashidov got his first td pretty quickly into the 2nd, I knew it was coming. Zain took 3 real shots, the latter most being a pretty poor one that almost bit him. Against a guy of that caliber, that's not enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, PSUMike said:

Agreed. When Rashidov got his first td pretty quickly into the 2nd, I knew it was coming. Zain took 3 real shots, the latter most being a pretty poor one that almost bit him. Against a guy of that caliber, that's not enough. 

yep, i'm fine with playing defense only under 30 seconds but rashidov had the entire 3 minute second period to get a read and feel up the timing of Zain. You can't hold off a talent of rashidov for 3 minutes when he knows he has to score. He will find a way to do so. And that's the match. From 3 minutes till 45 seconds zaddick was telling zain to get one, because he knew the inevitable.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Maybe that's why he stopped shooting. I'd have to watch the repay but did anyone else think he gave up exposure on that last takedown by the Russian? I thought it was 4 at first.
Yes I did. But he took 2 great shots in the first converting one. Then he didn't shoot again until probably about a minute left in the match. He could have easily gotten dinged with passivity. That said, Rashidov did quite literally nothing for the entire first period aside from conserve energy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gilman wins via offense in second.  And I should point out the ref was very much a part of this one.  Put both guys down in second.  Couldn’t communicate well with Mongolian.  Interesting.

Gilman take Bronze!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I noticed the Mongolian had a throw by that did work — he was ready for Gilman’s push.  That said, Gilman worked in shots as well and mixed it up.  Much prefer seeing the Gilman with shots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×