2td3nf

Yarygin 2019

Don’t write on Gilman. That was a wild bronze match but Gilman rightfully won. He isn’t a favorite for gold, but it could happen. He is definitely a medal contender, but he isn’t a lock to make the team. We have 3 guys who have a legitimate medal shot even without a perfect draw  

Zain has something to build in here. He has the potential to win gold. He also isn’t a lock to make the team. Oliver, Yianni, Stieber and Molinaro could all do it. Whoever makes the team will have a serious shot at medaling  it is a deep weight though  

looks like our success at the higher weights might start translating to the lower weights. 2019 worlds will be excellent

Yes I did. But he took 2 great shots in the first converting one. Then he didn't shoot again until probably about a minute left in the match. He could have easily gotten dinged with passivity. That said, Rashidov did quite literally nothing for the entire first period aside from conserve energy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Zain isn't going to overwhelm any of the elite guys with his basic neutral technique.

He had three years to work on this but preferred to "bow and arrow" overmatched folkstylers.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

On 1/24/2019 at 6:58 PM, Katie said:

I wouldn’t use the Yarygin as the only measure of their ability. It’s probably not easy to travel to Siberia in January and compete. And I doubt these guys had much time to acclimate to the area.

It’s like when we perform well at Beat the Streets against foreign wrestlers. Our results there are generally more impressive than our results at worlds. 

Beat the streets is show on a slippery mat and Yayrgin is the toughest UWW international tournament (my opinion). Gilman and Green is world team member and lost to Russian juniors. yeah, maybe if it was in USA maybe Gilman and Green would win..maybe...maybe. 

14 minutes ago, Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin said:

Beat the streets is show on a slippery mat and Yayrgin is the toughest UWW international tournament (my opinion). Gilman and Green is world team member and lost to Russian juniors. yeah, maybe if it was in USA maybe Gilman and Green would win..maybe...maybe. 

1) Downplaying Magomedov and Baev as just "Russian juniors" is a bit disingenuous.  Both guys are top 10 caliber at the senior level at this point.  

2) Beat the Streets last year was a mess, true.  But the point stands for other years--our guys tend to outperform there and come up with upsets.  For our guys Beat the Streets is important... for most foreign wrestlers it's an exhibition, and a chance for a paid vacation to NYC. 

3) Agreed, Yarygin is the toughest

Where are the videos of all the Yarygin matches?

UWW has all the results with videos, but the videos of matches are blocked out.

Are the match videos posted somewhere on Flo? I thought Flo bought the rights to the matches?  

3 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Dieringer with some solid results.  Looking good at 79kg.  

Beats a tough Zaseev 7-3 but falls 5-2 to Gadzhimagomedov.  

If a loss can be "good", I think Dieringer's loss to Gadzhi was good. He kept it close and had some chances against a wrestler who dominates most world-level wrestlers not named Dake.

7 minutes ago, DEFan79 said:

If a loss can be "good", I think Dieringer's loss to Gadzhi was good. He kept it close and had some chances against a wrestler who dominates most world-level wrestlers not named Dake.

Agreed.  And the only man to ever beat Dake @ 79kg.  

If Dake can't go for whatever reason at Worlds, we have two backups with a real shot at a medal in Zahid and Dieringer.  

14 minutes ago, DEFan79 said:

….and he dominated Dake in their first meeting

13 minutes ago, 2td3nf said:

Are the match videos posted somewhere on Flo? I thought Flo bought the rights to the matches?  

archives will be up asap. its not on floarena so its not autoupload, manual only. we want them up as fast as you do and appreciate your patience! 

35 minutes ago, 2td3nf said:

If you have Flo Pro you can watch them here:

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/6305874-2019-ivan-yariguin/videos?limit=57

There's a decent amount up already. 

4 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Don’t write on Gilman. That was a wild bronze match but Gilman rightfully won. He isn’t a favorite for gold, but it could happen. He is definitely a medal contender, but he isn’t a lock to make the team. We have 3 guys who have a legitimate medal shot even without a perfect draw  

Zain has something to build in here. He has the potential to win gold. He also isn’t a lock to make the team. Oliver, Yianni, Stieber and Molinaro could all do it. Whoever makes the team will have a serious shot at medaling  it is a deep weight though  

looks like our success at the higher weights might start translating to the lower weights. 2019 worlds will be excellent

Zain showed out despite the loss. He fared much better against rashidov than Steiber who got teched in no time. Much better positioning, I think Molinaro of all the guys at this weight has the worst neutral position. I just need to see more with Zain internationally, if anything he had the benefit of scouting Rashidov and coming in with a plan where not sure if rashidov knew much about zain. but you can tell Retherford has strong hands defense and a possible improved offense if what we saw in the fist is any indication. I see Molinaro as lowest ceiling, Stieber most inconsistent, Oliver ? i haven't seen him wrestle internationally in ages. Retherford is the man at this weight if i'm betting.  And I'm excited about the prospects of zaintrain 

2 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

1) Downplaying Magomedov and Baev as just "Russian juniors" is a bit disingenuous.  Both guys are top 10 caliber at the senior level at this point.  

2) Beat the Streets last year was a mess, true.  But the point stands for other years--our guys tend to outperform there and come up with upsets.  For our guys Beat the Streets is important... for most foreign wrestlers it's an exhibition, and a chance for a paid vacation to NYC. 

3) Agreed, Yarygin is the toughest

example. Baev lost to Zhamalov, this guy more younger than Baev... 

26 minutes ago, Coach_J said:

Not really valid to compare a promotional event for the sport of wrestling in general (Beat the Streets) and UWW ranking event (Yarigan).  Two very different purposes.

No one is comparing Beat the Streets to Yarygin.

My point is that some fans get a little too excited by the results from Beat the Streets, while some fans get a little too pessimistic by the results at Yarygin.

At worlds, our guys will be in their absolute top form, and they will have had the benefit of an acclimation camp.

20 minutes ago, Katie said:

No one is comparing Beat the Streets to Yarygin.

My point is that some fans get a little too excited by the results from Beat the Streets, while some fans get a little too pessimistic by the results at Yarygin.

At worlds, our guys will be in their absolute top form, and they will have had the benefit of an acclimation camp.

Wasn't addressing you specifically and I agree with what you say.

2 hours ago, alliseeisgold said:

Zain showed out despite the loss. He fared much better against rashidov than Steiber who got teched in no time. Much better positioning, I think Molinaro of all the guys at this weight has the worst neutral position. I just need to see more with Zain internationally, if anything he had the benefit of scouting Rashidov and coming in with a plan where not sure if rashidov knew much about zain. but you can tell Retherford has strong hands defense and a possible improved offense if what we saw in the fist is any indication. I see Molinaro as lowest ceiling, Stieber most inconsistent, Oliver ? i haven't seen him wrestle internationally in ages. Retherford is the man at this weight if i'm betting.  And I'm excited about the prospects of zaintrain 

Zain is the better of those three but I’m not ready to call him the man at that this weight just yet.

Edited by Sublime607

I think Molinaro is the best of the group in neutral defensively, but the worst offensively.  He does hit some 4s though, and with good defense, 1 of those per match is often all you need.

JO is the only one at 65 that i have any real excitement about... and to be absolutely fair, he has never done anything to propagate that excitement... 

i'm still holding out hope for a miraculous pico return for 2020...

yeah... i'm that guy...

I'd like to see Yianni D mix it up with our current 65kg group.  I have been a long long Stieber fan, but I just don't think he is our guy in 2019.  Especially with Zain and Oliver in the mix now.

Edited by misterc