THEMAN

Coon takes Silver

11 hours ago, Hubbard said:

I would not put Taylor-Yazdani in the same breath as the other two match ups you mentioned.  Plenty of people knew that Taylor would beat Yazdani the first time they wrestled.  He ain't no Karelin…..and Burroughs came out of nowhere really to beat Tsargush.  Everybody knows Taylor and what he can do.  Yazdani has nothing on Taylor.  Taylor exploits those underhooks and lack of cardio quite efficiently.

Unless Sadulaev goes back down to 86.....right now I don't see Taylor losing the next 2 years.  Unless Cox beats him for the 2020 spot.

Yazdani had a Bronze at Worlds and an Oly Gold to his name while Taylor couldn't even make the National team prior to their meeting. 

Coon absolutely destroyed the field leading up to that finals match.

I understand people are saying he had a great draw, but I don't care who you are -- to absolutely dominate like that is pretty impressive.

That said, it wasn't close against the Russian.

Hat's off to him -- I haven't seen anyone manhandle Coon like that.  Awesome combo. of raw strength and technique.

15 hours ago, PSUMike said:

Yazdani had a Bronze at Worlds and an Oly Gold to his name while Taylor couldn't even make the National team prior to their meeting. 

15 hours ago, PSUMike said:

Yazdani has nothing on Taylor.  Taylor exploits those underhooks and lack of cardio quite efficiently.

In fairness, I wouldn't say Yazdani has poor cardio.  He's usually the one who totally wears out his opposition with his pressure (parens. -- underhooks).  Taylor's just really special.

2 hours ago, Greatdane67 said:

Has any American ever made the Olympic team in both styles?

Is Coon going to try?

It would be an amazing story for the sport.

not Olympics but to me a pretty impressive accomplishment was Greg Gibson taking 2nd in freestyle and 4th in greco at world championships the same year ('81).

1 hour ago, KTG119 said:

not Olympics but to me a pretty impressive accomplishment was Greg Gibson taking 2nd in freestyle and 4th in greco at world championships the same year ('81).

I think he also placed in Sombo that year.

Edited by gimpeltf

8 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

I think he also placed in Sombo that year.

I remember reading that he was a Sombo world champ at some point. Arguably our greatest all around wrestler.