Sign in to follow this  
freestyle_fan

Azerbaijan poor performance in World Championships

I was looking into team scores to see who all will be qualified for world cup next year, i think top-8 teams are automatically qualified. AZE is ranked 9, which means they will not be in world cup next year until unless some other country withdraws. World Cup finalist this year to not being qualified for next year, looks like hard luck for AZE this year in world championships.

Aliyev (65), Sharif Sharapov (92), Alborov (97) - upset losses. In fact, Jabrayil Hasanov (79 kg - silver) is the only medal Azerbaijan had !!

Top 20 national teams at the 2018 World Championships in Budapest
1. Russia - 178 points
2. USA - 150 
3. Georgia - 105 
4. Cuba - 67 
5. Japan - 67 
6. Iran - 65 
7. Mongolia - 57 
8. Turkey - 53 
9. Azerbaijan - 44 
10. Belarus - 41 
11. India - 38 
12. Uzbekistan - 33 
13. Kazakhstan - 32 
14. Italy - 29 
15. Bahrain -20 
15. China - 20 
17. Korea -20 
18. Ukraine -18 
19. Spain -15 
20. Hungary - 14 

Well, they were 4th in greco, but the freestyle was not what we would expect.   I would also like to respond to an earlier comment that Armenia is a weak Caucasus wrestling nation.  They finished 6th in greco with what could be seen as a down performance (Aleksanyan's injury hurt their point total, and they did not bring a full team).  They are a nation of only 3 million and are severely underfunded; hence you see so many of their guys heading to countries like Russia, Poland, Bulgaria, and even Brazil.  Also consider these medalists of Armenian descent:  Stepan Maryanyan of Russia, Gevorg Sahakyan of Poland,  and Aik Mnatsakanian of Bulgaria.  Armenia itself had 2 medalists, two 5ths, and an 8th.  No slouch at all given their circumstances.

4 hours ago, Coach_J said:

Well, they were 4th in greco, but the freestyle was not what we would expect.   I would also like to respond to an earlier comment that Armenia is a weak Caucasus wrestling nation.  They finished 6th in greco with what could be seen as a down performance (Aleksanyan's injury hurt their point total, and they did not bring a full team).  They are a nation of only 3 million and are severely underfunded; hence you see so many of their guys heading to countries like Russia, Poland, Bulgaria, and even Brazil.  Also consider these medalists of Armenian descent:  Stepan Maryanyan of Russia, Gevorg Sahakyan of Poland,  and Aik Mnatsakanian of Bulgaria.  Armenia itself had 2 medalists, two 5ths, and an 8th.  No slouch at all given their circumstances.

I enjoy reading your tidbits on Armenian wrestling. Keep them coming

Coach J, I recall our conversation  some time ago vis a vis Armenians and Turks.

And it was heartfelt for sure! 

Armenia per capita is one of the smallest yet most successful countries especially in GK.

This highlights it. 

yyyuuuu.png

8 hours ago, krazzy said:

Coach J, I recall our conversation  some time ago vis a vis Armenians and Turks.

And it was heartfelt for sure! 

Armenia per capita is one of the smallest yet most successful countries especially in GK.

This highlights it. 

yyyuuuu.png

I remember well, my friend.  I hope all is well with you--may you enjoy a blessed day.