Housebuye

Who will be the first Askren Wrestling Academy NCAA champ?

The Askren brothers have built an excellent academy, spanning 3 locations in Wisconsin. 

Their wrestlers have different styles, but all are extremely comfortable in scrambling positions. 

The best two so far seem to be Keegan O’Toole and Peyton Mocco. There are plenty of others who are on the national scene and are making waves. 

Who will be the first to win a title? I imagine that will propel AWA into the conversation with Young Guns and the rest of the incredibly clubs we’ve seen pop up in the last decade. 

I have not been around youth wrestling for years, so I never saw the AWA at tourneys. Is Ben the main coach at all 3 sites or is it his brother or do they share time equally. Im just trying to figure out how Ben is going to balance his time at Wisconsin, AWA, and UFC

I am curious, how many no name high school/youth coaches produced athletes that went on to become NCAA champions? 

Maybe there are too many of them.  Might be better to narrow it down to those coaches who never wrestled in college themselves?

16 hours ago, Pinnum said:

I am curious, how many no name high school/youth coaches produced athletes that went on to become NCAA champions? 

Maybe there are too many of them.  Might be better to narrow it down to those coaches who never wrestled in college themselves?

Maybe stating the obvious, but the Ncaa AA's I have been a around had so many coaches and sought so many different rooms to train that no one coach deserved credit.

On 10/29/2018 at 9:13 AM, Housebuye said:

The Askren brothers have built an excellent academy, spanning 3 locations in Wisconsin. 

Their wrestlers have different styles, but all are extremely comfortable in scrambling positions. 

The best two so far seem to be Keegan O’Toole and Peyton Mocco. There are plenty of others who are on the national scene and are making waves. 

Who will be the first to win a title? I imagine that will propel AWA into the conversation with Young Guns and the rest of the incredibly clubs we’ve seen pop up in the last decade. 

Raschka

O'Toole and Mocco are going to make some noise, but also watch out for Parker Keckeisen.  I watched a lot of his matches and he is absolutely phenomenal on his feet.  Took out a who's who of very tough wrestlers in the toughest weight at Fargo last year (170) en route to a 3rd.  He'll have a solid senior Taylor Lujan to sit behind and train with at UNI in a redshirt year, but he has the tools.