Sign in to follow this  
nom

Looking into the future - 65kg

65 kg is a particularly fascinating weight for the US.  We’ve been struggling internationally yet when you look at the domestic studs, it seems like we will do better going forward.  

Missing from this year’s trials — Zain and JO.  

Young guns on their way up - Yianni, McKenna, Eireman.  

And of course there is Logan.  

After watching Zain in college — and recalling that he did win trials in 2017 (right?) - and thinking focus on freestyle will help him —my head thinks that Zain is the lead horse for 2019.

By 2020 - my head thinks Zain will still be lead horse.  But my heart wants to lean Yianni.  I have no confidence that Yianni can beat Zain and frankly I think JO would be a tall challenge.  I think he will need another couple years to really come into his own.  Then again, other young guns have showed up on the scene ahead of schedule.  Does Yianni have what it takes?

Some of you feel at ease with making strangely confident predictions.  How do you all see this unfolding?

I want to see Zain wrestle Chakaev and/or Bekbulatov in January at the Yarygin. Would love to see how Yianni would do in the 65 Yarygin bracket as well. Hope Logan and JO make the trip too.

Want to see how these 65kg Americans match up against the Russians as a litmus test. At this time I have no idea about their respective weight cuts, nagging injuries or whatever. Maybe Yianni has a lot more man strength now, plus I'm guessing he's been training with JO, Vito and maybe Dake?

No one sitting in 65kg Final X best of three yet. This weight class is up for grabs.

46 minutes ago, JBluegill133 said:

No, the challenge playback clearly shows time being out and batriov not hitting a knee or elbow. One second longer and its a different story.

Correct. I remember being pissed at the call but upon review, turns out they were right. 

Crazy to think how different the narrative would be if Zain had hit that takedown. He had a fairly good chance of medaling. 

13 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

No idea, 2td3nf.

I asked Zain that very question. He said maybe about that Yarigan. Right now he is making money on select camps. He said he would be wrestling full time starting in January and his goal was to make the world team and he even mentioned the Olympic team in 2020. So that  leads me to believe he is not going to the Yarigan. Hope he does.  

Edited by PRyan2012

1 hour ago, PRyan2012 said:

Once he gets more freestyle savvy LS or JO will not touch him. His addition will make us team champs!

1 hour ago, PRyan2012 said:

I asked Zain that very question. He said maybe about that Yarigan. Right now he is making money on select camps. He said he would be wrestling full time starting in January and his goal was to make the world team and he even mentioned the Olympic team in 2020. So that  leads me to believe he is not going to the Yarigan. Hope he does.  

That's an easy thing to say and another thing to do.  I hope he commits to competing internationally. God knows the NLWC has the funds to support him.  

How many years did Dake go without consistently competing internationally? How about JO?  DT?

Sit at home during the year, you're likely to get SENT home at the World Championships.  Just how it is. 

Can we break this down even more?  What about Yianni's style (or Zain's or JO's) would put them ahead of the others.  What position would each of them have the upper hand against the others?
Yianni is more dynamic and fluid in nuetral where as Zain is more about positioning and pressure. JO is fast and slick, but often out of shape. That's my two sentence take.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, JBluegill133 said:

Can we break this down even more?  What about Yianni's style (or Zain's or JO's) would put them ahead of the others.  What position would each of them have the upper hand against the others?

It’s super hard to tell where Yianni is compared to those guys right now. He hasn’t wrestled freestyle since the 2017 junior trials (lost in semis to Deakin I believe? 6-4 after being up 4-0) and he had mono + maybe an injury. 

In folkstyle it is clear that he has excellent scrambles to the finish against the best guys. He has awesome defense, but may rely a bit too much on it, considering he gave up takedowns against the best guys at NCAAs (heil, Eierman, Merideth). He also seemed a bit undersized, but he is 19 and has never relied on his physical strength.

Keep in mind that McKenna placed 3rd and Eierman places 4th. Mckenna made final X and Eierman beat Logan in 2018. 

I would venture to guess that Yianni in top form going against Zain in freestyle scores takedowns. I’m not sure if he wins right now. If Zain keeps improving he will be hard to catch. I really don’t want Zain working his crazy tilts on Yianni, given Yiannis bad elbows  

Vs JO? Well they train together, so a bunch of people know the answer. I would love to find out. I would think that JO big brothers him a bit. The size difference and power difference is substantial. Technique for technique, Yianni is right there. 

It’s super hard to tell where Yianni is compared to those guys right now. He hasn’t wrestled freestyle since the 2017 junior trials (lost in semis to Deakin I believe? 6-4 after being up 4-0) and he had mono + maybe an injury. 
In folkstyle it is clear that he has excellent scrambles to the finish against the best guys. He has awesome defense, but may rely a bit too much on it, considering he gave up takedowns against the best guys at NCAAs (heil, Eierman, Merideth). He also seemed a bit undersized, but he is 19 and has never relied on his physical strength.

Keep in mind that McKenna placed 3rd and Eierman places 4th. Mckenna made final X and Eierman beat Logan in 2018. 
I would venture to guess that Yianni in top form going against Zain in freestyle scores takedowns. I’m not sure if he wins right now. If Zain keeps improving he will be hard to catch. I really don’t want Zain working his crazy tilts on Yianni, given Yiannis bad elbows  
Vs JO? Well they train together, so a bunch of people know the answer. I would love to find out. I would think that JO big brothers him a bit. The size difference and power difference is substantial. Technique for technique, Yianni is right there. 
Yianni has so much upside, Zain and JO are at their peak.

Yianni just won Nationals injured as a true freshman. Pretty damn impressive.

1 hour ago, cjc007 said:

Yianni has so much upside, Zain and JO are at their peak.

Yianni just won Nationals injured as a true freshman. Pretty damn impressive.

Zain is just starting training freestyle full time, no way he has reached his peak yet. 

7 hours ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

it will be interesting to see if Japan's 65 kg champ can hold the weight for the next two years. he's only 19 and scored 67 points over 5 matches on his way to winning that monster bracket in Budapest. 

Stacked weight. Georgia and Azerbaijan are still serious threats.