Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Housebuye

Who could have 10 AAs this season?

Recommended Posts

It rarely happens, but each season there are a few teams that have a shot at this. This year, I think the following have a shot:

PSU - they have returning AAs at every weight but 149 (top level recruit), 125 (top level recruit) and 133 (top level recruit). Last season they have not missed at the bottom two, both of which were clearly their weakest weights. 

tOSU - fairly unlikely. They have returning AAs at all weights besides 125 (upper level recruit but long shot to AA), 157 (top level recruit who might be small but has a shot at AAing), 165 (top level recruit), 174 (3 time qualifier. Shot at AAing), hvwt (top level recruit but very unlikely to AA)

OSU - seems likely to AA at every weight besides 157. It depends how the lineup shakes out. Legitimate shot at all 10, but less likely than PSU

Lehigh - they actually have an AA contender at every weight, but a few are a long shot. Their lineup is solid as always. I’d say they are more likely to have 10 than tOSU

Cornell - if Arujao can go 125, they have a small shot. There isn’t any part of the lineup that has no chance, but all doing it togetherness is highly unlikely 

NC State - no holes here, but a few of the weights have borderline top 20 guys (165, 174, 141, 197, hvwt). They would have to have a perfect tournament to have 10 AAs, but I think it is more likely that tOSU or Cornell

EDIT:

Forgot to include Iowa. I actually think they have the second best shot at getting all 10 on the podium. 125, 165, 174 and hvwt are all returning AAs. 133, 141, 149, 184 and 197 all have the wins to support them AAing if they are at their best and/or jump levels over the course of the season. The big question mark is 157, but they have some talent here. 

Edited by Housebuye

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Some won't want to read this, but the only team with a realistic chance is Penn State.

I really don't see it since 125 and 133 are completely inexperienced at the NCAA level and 133 is a meat-grinder this year. It would not shock me if they did not qualify at 125 and go 1-2 at 133. Plus 149 is a total unknown at the NCAA level. Sure 149 is not quite as tough as last year but there are going to be some 157 run from Nolf so some gaps will fill. 

If I was a betting may I would say 7.  

Ohio State will not qualify at 125 so they're automatically out and while Oklahoma State could qualify 10 I do not see them picking up more than 8 AA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Zebra said:

I really don't see it since 125 and 133 are completely inexperienced at the NCAA level and 133 is a meat-grinder this year. It would not shock me if they did not qualify at 125 and go 1-2 at 133. Plus 149 is a total unknown at the NCAA level. Sure 149 is not quite as tough as last year but there are going to be some 157 run from Nolf so some gaps will fill. 

If I was a betting may I would say 7.  

Ohio State will not qualify at 125 so they're automatically out and while Oklahoma State could qualify 10 I do not see them picking up more than 8 AA. 

This sort of thing is rare. Those other schools named have basically zero chance. PSU at least has some minor chance of pulling it off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Lehigh?  I am a B1G fan and don't know much about them.  Do they really have that many AA candidates?

Here are the Intermat preseason rankings from Lehigh's FB page- (Flo's very similar- I just saw these first)

Schram is a returning AA transfer from Stanford.

4 ranked top 8 with Schram previous makes 5 ranked there. Most of the rest on the cusp. Schuyler lowest ranked but has beaten a few top ranked kids.

44185970_10155631077926574_5973743830162

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PSU is probably the most realistic, simply because they have the most near guarantees.

141,157,165,174,197 and 285 are near locks.  184 is likely.  That leaves 125,133 and 149.  Of those 3, I would say they get 1 and end up with 8 AA's.

Iowa is probably the next likely, but 141 and 157 have a TON to prove before anything can truly even be slightly considered.  If pressed, I would say they end up with 7 AA's.  125,133,149,165,174,197 and 285.

OkState is probably next.  But, rumors of Joe Smith being a mess, does NOT help and does OkState themselves even know for sure what weight everyone is going?  If I had to pick, right now, I would say 5 AA's.

tOSU could surprise, but they have a lot of new blood entering the line up.  For now, I would only go Pletcher, McKenna, Jordan, Martin and Moore for 5 AA's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Here are the Intermat preseason rankings from Lehigh's FB page- (Flo's very similar- I just saw these first)

Schram is a returning AA transfer from Stanford.

4 ranked top 8 with Schram previous makes 5 ranked there. Most of the rest on the cusp. Schuyler lowest ranked but has beaten a few top ranked kids.

44185970_10155631077926574_5973743830162

 

Wow, everyone is Top 20.  Pretty good team, but I don't know about getting 10 AAs...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gantry said:

Since he's about to wrestle 174 with scratch weight at the All Star Classic, I doubt it

 

When is that going down? I live in Las Cruces, if it's the right date I might be able to drive up and watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LemonPie said:

Yeah, Lehigh has a better shot at 0 AAs than 10

 

Naw, Lehigh usually overachieves in wrestling. 10 AAs is a tall order, but I wouldn't be surprised to see 5 Lehigh guys crack AA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Housebuye said:

It rarely happens, but each season there are a few teams that have a shot at this. This year, I think the following have a shot:

I thought it has only happened once. Rare is an understatement.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Here are the Intermat preseason rankings from Lehigh's FB page- (Flo's very similar- I just saw these first)

Schram is a returning AA transfer from Stanford.

4 ranked top 8 with Schram previous makes 5 ranked there. Most of the rest on the cusp. Schuyler lowest ranked but has beaten a few top ranked kids.

44185970_10155631077926574_5973743830162

 

This explains it well.

They have no holes in their lineup. No, I'm not picking them to AA at all 10, but that applies to everyone. I would be surprised if they don't AA at 133, 174, 184 and 285. 125 has done it before and 197, 157, and 165 all have legitimate shots at AAing. Kerem, and Shuyler would have to jump levels to do it, but it wouldn't be shocking if they did.

The odds of all of this happening are incredibly slim, but each of these is more likely than tOSU AAing at heavyweight or OSU at 157

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

This explains it well.

They have no holes in their lineup. No, I'm not picking them to AA at all 10, but that applies to everyone. I would be surprised if they don't AA at 133, 174, 184 and 285. 125 has done it before and 197, 157, and 165 all have legitimate shots at AAing. Kerem, and Shuyler would have to jump levels to do it, but it wouldn't be shocking if they did.

The odds of all of this happening are incredibly slim, but each of these is more likely than tOSU AAing at heavyweight or OSU at 157

Just wondering why you didn’t include Iowa in your original post? They have everyone ranked in the top 16 according to Intermat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mpchillin said:

Just wondering why you didn’t include Iowa in your original post? They have everyone ranked in the top 16 according to Intermat. 

Purely an oversight. They should definitely be included. I think they have the second best shot behind PSU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Some won't want to read this, but the only team with a realistic chance is Penn State.

Eh it is pretty clear. PSU essentially has 3 question marks. All 3 are filled by blue chippers. 149 is a wide open class plus Berge has a junior world bronze (almost all junior medalists eventually AA) plus he redshirted last year. 125 and 133 have guys with enough talent to AA in their true freshman year, but both weights are fairly stacked and neither has been in the room for all that long. 

It is still a long shot, but PSU has a legitimate shot. I'd be surprised if they didn't have at least 8 AAs, assuming nobody gets injured (although they might have two AA candidates at a couple of weights)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×