Sign in to follow this  
Idaho

Wrestle-Off Results

On 11/5/2018 at 11:26 AM, Housebuye said:

They did. Anthony took an Olympic redshirt, so he still has his regular redshirt available. 

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/5046159-anthony-valencia-taking-olympic-redshirt

I'm sure you're right about that HOWEVER it seems odd that Anthony - like Zahid - is listed as a REDSHIRT Junior on the ASU team roster:

https://thesundevils.com/roster.aspx?path=wrestling

3 minutes ago, Bronco said:

I'm sure you're right about that HOWEVER it seems odd that Anthony - like Zahid - is listed as a REDSHIRT Junior on the ASU team roster:

https://thesundevils.com/roster.aspx?path=wrestling

Honestly they probably don't have a designation for "Olympic Redshirt" on their website template. I wouldn't read into that too much. technically he is a redshirt Junior I imagine, but he still has a redshirt available.

I think this is shows us all how crazy it is that Anthony hasn't AAd yet. He was damn close his freshman year, but still. He was almost on the Mark Hall level of hype coming in to college (didn't quite have the world level results, but domestically he was competitive with some of our national team in high school)

Edited by Housebuye

17 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Honestly they probably don't have a designation for "Olympic Redshirt" on their website template. I wouldn't read into that too much. technically he is a redshirt Junior I imagine, but he still has a redshirt available.

I think this is shows us all how crazy it is that Anthony hasn't AAd yet. He was damn close his freshman year, but still. He was almost on the Mark Hall level of hype coming in to college (didn't quite have the world level results, but domestically he was competitive with some of our national team in high school)

Yeah, if I recall correctly, it was Anthony that was the big recruiting "get" - not Zahid.  Yet Zahid goes undefeated and wins a national championship last season as a Sophomore.

If you closely followed over the years then you know Anthony never used his actual redshirt till now. Even when he beat mark Hall and Caldwell I never actually looked at him as the better of the two. Guys saw what he did after the first matches and he never had the same success against them again 

On 11/5/2018 at 11:27 AM, Housebuye said:

I can't imagine they will, especially based on that match. 

They certainly won't pull the shirt this early, unless he drops to 141 and Smith really isn't on the team.

What did you mean here when you wrote that "Smith really isn't on the team"??   I ask because Mason Smith was on the ASU roster last week.  Plus there were several articles about him on the ASU website about him joining the team this season.

36 minutes ago, Bronco said:

What did you mean here when you wrote that "Smith really isn't on the team"??   I ask because Mason Smith was on the ASU roster last week.  Plus there were several articles about him on the ASU website about him joining the team this season.

27 minutes ago, Gantry said:

I read that as hypothetically, so "and IF Smith isn't on the team. "

What Gantry said.

Smith isn't on the roster right now. I'm hoping this is just a transfer issue and he will be back 2nd semester or even better, a clerical issue. 

Olympic Redshirt?  Anthony Valencia is a good College Wrestler no question, but he has as much of a shot to make the Olympics as an Igloo has in Miami, Florida,  I could see his brother (Zahid) in the Olympics, but Anthony should concentrate on NCAA"s

10 minutes ago, dougb said:

Olympic Redshirt?  Anthony Valencia is a good College Wrestler no question, but he has as much of a shot to make the Olympics as an Igloo has in Miami, Florida,  I could see his brother (Zahid) in the Olympics, but Anthony should concentrate on NCAA"s

Did you read the thread and/or the article posted? We are talking about Anthony's Olympic redshirt his freshman year. Also it isn't an olympic year, so he, nor Zahid, can take an Olympic redshirt this year. 

On 11/1/2018 at 7:52 PM, Idaho said:

Talk of Anthony's redshirting may be premature. I found this post on his Twitter account.

No trainer, coach, or doctor can tell me how my body feels. I am true to myself and I’m ready to go. Just waiting to get cleared. #surgery #7monthsago #waytoolong #2019NCAAchamp

What happened to Valencia? BTW -

streamed via Facebook Live (www.Facebook.com/SunDevilWrestling)

5 minutes ago, westfan said:

Yeah...Anthony shouldn’t be spouting that crap publicly. Argue with your coach and team privately. This makes him and ASU look bad. 

Also - what weight? Will he ask zahid to move up? Does he plan to try and take out Shields at 165 (he might know he has an advantage here or something). 

I think Anthony ends up pouting and shirting. He could use a year without the pressure of competing it seems.