Sign in to follow this  
Ching

Joe Colon should not have suprised anyone

Date Competition Style Age Group Weight Class Country Rank
2018-10-20 World Championship Freestyle Seniors 61.0 USA 3.
2018-09-14 Alexander Medved Prizes Freestyle Seniors 61.0 USA 2.
2018-09-07 Waclaw Ziolkowski Memorial Freestyle Seniors 61.0 USA 3.
2018-05-03 Pan American Championship Freestyle Seniors 61.0 USA 1.
2018-04-07 World Cup Freestyle Seniors Team USA 1.
2018-02-23 International Ukrainian Tournament Freestyle Seniors 61.0 USA 3.
2017-11-01 Dave Schultz Memorial International Freestyle Seniors 61.0 USA 1.

I agree that competing in tough tournaments overseas is definitely beneficial to American wrestlers, but I also agree that Joe Colon's resume was still lacking in the type of wins that would have made him a favorite to medal going into the tournament. 

I will say that I did not realize that Cory Clark had beaten Dubov in Poland and that Colon had beaten Beliechuk in Ukraine, so after the brackets came out, Colon should have been given a good shot at medaling. the Iranian was a bit of a wild card but is still junior eligible. I thought Topal of Turkey would do better too. 

anyway, great tournament by Joe and an auspicious sign for Team USA given that Nahshon Garrett is right there with Joe. 

2 hours ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

I agree that competing in tough tournaments overseas is definitely beneficial to American wrestlers, but I also agree that Joe Colon's resume was still lacking in the type of wins that would have made him a favorite to medal going into the tournament. 

I will say that I did not realize that Cory Clark had beaten Dubov in Poland and that Colon had beaten Beliechuk in Ukraine, so after the brackets came out, Colon should have been given a good shot at medaling. the Iranian was a bit of a wild card but is still junior eligible. I thought Topal of Turkey would do better too. 

anyway, great tournament by Joe and an auspicious sign for Team USA given that Nahshon Garrett is right there with Joe. 

The top of 61kg is strange: 

Garrett owns Mega, beat Graff this past year in a pretty close match, and has super high scoring matches vs. Colon that can go either way

Colon pulls out close, low-scoring matches vs. Mega by countering Nico's shots, but got teched by Graff last year and hasn't beaten him since the first part of his senior year at UNI (I want to say Graff might have beaten him in free another time in 2015 or 2016, but not sure).

Mega hasn't beaten any either of these two recently, but he did beat Graff twice, including teching him in their first of two meetings this year

Then you have Gross, who hasn't beaten any of these top 4, but it would be no surprise if he jumped a level and beat any of them next year.

So I wouldn't be surprised if any of those 5 win 61kg in 2019.  The interesting question is what they all do in 2020.  I think Mega can clearly go down to try 57kg.  Graff has had success there too, but that was under the old weigh-in rules.  I think the rest might try to do the same, but have bigger frames, so I'm worried they are caught between weights and don't really have a good Olympic year option.

Well, I have to admit that I did not think Joe would medal at these World's, I predicted on one of these other threads that he would top out at 5th place. But Joe trained hard, and put in a good summer of work, as well as going overseas and doing well there, and when Garrett got hurt, Joe was able to step right in. But I believe what helped Joe get over the hump was his gritty and hard nosed mentality. And now that he is a World Medal winner, I am sure that this will embolden and reinforce that attitude and mentality. 

Next year Joe will be sitting in the finals of Final X, awaiting the winner of the WTT, and I may be in the minority here, but I believe Joe with a full year of being our number one guy, will only improve, and will hang on to his spot. 

This brings up and interesting point/question that I don’t know the answer to. Does he spend the next year as our #1 guy?  He medaled at world and sits in final X yes, but the national team is set by the team trials. 

Edited by Lurker

I think yes.  In addition to his bronze medal, he did beat Garrett 3 out of 5 last year, so it's not unreasonable to put him ahead of Garrett even though he lost the last 2.  Also, I don't even know what Garrett's injury was, but it's probably fair to question if Garrett will be the same next year.