Sign in to follow this  
WillieBoy

Does Penn State need a new lightweight coach?

Since Cael Sanderson has taken over the program Penn State has one lightweight Champion, Niko Megaludis at 125 in 2016. Middle weights from 149 and up they have done well. No Heavyweight titlist yet. The lightweights are not bringing home the hardware for some reason.

Does Penn State need to bring in a lightweight coach to work with these guys? If they do will the Lions start doing better with the smaller guys?

If they do start looking - who will fill the bill while fitting into Cael's program?

Hey, I am all for the Dynasty rolling along.  But this is not a huge concern for me.  Nick Suriano would have plugged that space perfectly.  Things didn’t workout there and it took a couple of years to recover.  We will see fantastic production from 125 and 133 compared to the last two years.  My bigger concern is how hard is the biology department working on cloning Bo, Cenzo, David, Ed, Jason, Mark and Zain? We have been spoiled by the level of excitement in watching this team hit amazing moves year after year starting with QW, ER & DT.  I sure hope it continues!  At the same time, where do you go from here?  What could top the Tourney win last year?    I think we are in great hands while the Sanderson/Sanderson/Cunningham era continues.  And no doubt Jake will help with HWT.  But that weight could be locked up for a few years.  Just as 125 appears to be...

Penn State has had at least one lightweight (125-141) All-American every year since Cael got there except his first season and 2017 when Suriano got hurt.

The fact that Jordan Conaway became a 2x All-American is all anyone should need to see to know that they are all set with coaching lightweights.

22 minutes ago, IronChef said:

The fact that Jordan Conaway became a 2x All-American is all anyone should need to see to know that they are all set with coaching lightweights. 

Conaway was a good wrestler and heavily recruited in his senior year.

He was no where near the lowest ranked lightweight recruit to make the podium when he did.  He was a late recruit to the program and his stock didn't shoot up until into his senior year but the top programs were all after him and Liberty believed they had their star when they landed him.  

When you are used to top 10 recruits AAing, a fringe top 100 stands out.  With that said, the light weights may be their weakest, but that doesn't mean it is a weakness.  They have already proven to be damn near impossible to beat.  If they improve down low as well, forget about it.....

6 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

When you are used to top 10 recruits AAing, a fringe top 100 stands out.  

I agree.

I think that is why the Penn State fans were so surprised. 

But we see recruits like him make the podium every year many times a year.  He was good recruit and he did the right things to succeed.  He would have succeeded even at other programs.  

obviously Cody has been the weak link here as the light guy. Hire KTG119. I know people, who know people, who kind of know people. And I could be a good throwing dummy in practice and holler things like 'don't let him score' and 'you gotta battle' from my edge of mat seat.

or even better I could coach the old PSU way 'it's ok bottom guy, just rest your head on the mat, eventually he'll fall off'

Also, this has to assume that the coaches don't work with all the athletes.  

Is that the case?  

Are the coaches actually broken out based on their former competition weight and only work with those athletes?

obviously Cody has been the weak link here as the light guy. Hire KTG119. I know people, who know people, who kind of know people. And I could be a good throwing dummy in practice and holler things like 'don't let him score' and 'you gotta battle' from my edge of mat seat.
or even better I could coach the old PSU way 'it's ok bottom guy, just rest your head on the mat, eventually he'll fall off'

Move your feet!
Heavy on the head!
Circle! Circle!
You go!

3 hours ago, IronChef said:

Penn State has had at least one lightweight (125-141) All-American every year since Cael got there except his first season and 2017 when Suriano got hurt.

Yeah, this is a "not the smartest comment" to be PC.  Conaway was heavily recruited (not by PSU) and was a very dominant AAA state champ.

Far less PA wrestlers out of HS have become national champions including many who never won a title (Koscheck, Bosak, Ruth, etc) and don't forget Ronnie Perry who never placed higher than 7th even though he took 2nd ironically to another PA kid?  Slam dunk case on toughest state arguments btw.

But the current crop of lightweights will be the telltale sign for little/older Sanderson as the lightweight coach.  It's the best crop he has had yet.  Mega?  A kid who goes 3, 1, 1, 1 with 1 career loss in AAA as a freshman?  No brainer he becomes a national champ.

I don't blame PSU on Gulibon, to almost quote KMF, the fire was out before he ever stepped foot on campus but Spencer is looking like a freakin' genius right now.  Same club and HS as Mega.

Cunningham on another note, is the best mid to upper coach in the country.  The results are staggering especially when you consider Cael is very quiet in the everyday practice environment and only "observes".

2 hours ago, Boompa said:

Cunningham on another note, is the best mid to upper coach in the country.  The results are staggering especially when you consider Cael is very quiet in the everyday practice environment and only "observes".

Would probably be one of the only things that could possibly slow PSU down... Cunningham finally taking a head coaching gig.  Gotta be the highest paid assistant in the country, no?

PSU's lightweights have been fine, just not as strong as the middle/upper weights that have been tremendous. 

There seems to be some revisionist history regarding Conaway. He wasn't ranked in the top 100 even after his senior season was complete. He was 38-3 at 112 and was headed to Liberty for a reason. Saying the staff doesn't deserve credit for developing a non 100 recruit into a multiple AA is absurd, especially when it's the same people who consistently devalue Penn State's coaching accomplishments because of the number of top 10 recruits they get. Can't have it both ways. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

7 hours ago, Flying-Tiger said:

PSU's lightweights have been fine, just not as strong as the middle/upper weights that have been tremendous. 

There seems to be some revisionist history regarding Conaway. He wasn't ranked in the top 100 even after his senior season was complete. He was 38-3 at 112 and was headed to Liberty for a reason. Saying the staff doesn't deserve credit for developing a non 100 recruit into a multiple AA is absurd, especially when it's the same people who consistently devalue Penn State's coaching accomplishments because of the number of top 10 recruits they get. Can't have it both ways. 

He was fringe top 100.  I don't have access to all the ranking, but I would think atleast 1 had him there.  I know you can still see D1Collegewrestling.net rankings and he was 109 there.

Now, PSU definitely deserves credit, but he did have the intangibles at the High School level needed for continued improvement.  Sort of like the English story.  Sanderson was even quoted as saying something along the lines of telling English enough is enough, mainly due to a slew of injuries.  They both had willpower like you rarely see and Conaway, especially, wrestled better in the 3rd period.

No doubt the PSU fostered them as well as any could.  But, they both had the mindset to win and I do believe they would have had a solid chance to AA other places.

Remember, I was never a proponent of Conaway.  He always seemed a bit undersized and not quite talented enough.  But, he did sell me with his incredible will to win and top notch gas tank.

23 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Conoway was a big fan of the PSU coaching staff, perhaps exceeded by only his own father. 

I don't doubt that.  He was probably in his optimum environment.  It just may be a tad disingenuous to act like he was high school fodder coached to greatness.  Would he have AA'd at Liberty?  Maybe, maybe not.  But, I do think he could have.

1 hour ago, MSU158 said:

I don't doubt that.  He was probably in his optimum environment.  It just may be a tad disingenuous to act like he was high school fodder coached to greatness.  Would he have AA'd at Liberty?  Maybe, maybe not.  But, I do think he could have.

No one is claiming him to be fodder. Context matters. 

If RBY, Teasdale, and Teske don't work out, then that would be quite telling. They have not really gotten the amount of blue-chippers in those weights relative to their middle weights. Nico, Guilibon, and Suriano are really the only ones I can think of aside from the ones coming in. Think of that relative to Zain, the Altons, Nolf, Cenzo, Nickal. MorMac, etc.

On 10/31/2018 at 2:17 PM, WillieBoy said:

Since Cael Sanderson has taken over the program Penn State has one lightweight Champion, Niko Megaludis at 125 in 2016. Middle weights from 149 and up they have done well. No Heavyweight titlist yet. The lightweights are not bringing home the hardware for some reason.

Does Penn State need to bring in a lightweight coach to work with these guys? If they do will the Lions start doing better with the smaller guys?

If they do start looking - who will fill the bill while fitting into Cael's program?

I don't think so.  Cael brought in a top lightweight at 125lbs in Nico Megaludis right after he got to PSU.  Nico went 2-2-3-1 with a redshirt before his senior year.  Jordan Conaway filled in nicely that year and ended up as a two-time AA himself (once at 125 and once at 133).  Jordan was a 1X PIAA state champ his senior year and Cael developed him into a fantastic lightweight wrestler.  Conaway was not recruited very hard and had some big wins in college.  I think he got the most out of Jordan that was possible.

After Nico he brought in the top lightweight recruit in the country in Nick Suriano who we saw in the finals last year.  It's just that Suriano left PSU after his freshman year.  That's not a development problem at all.  This year he brought in the best lightweight haul we've seen in a while.  Three 4X state champs (PA, Iowa, AZ) with 3 losses between them in high school.  

Nick Lee is currently manning 141lbs and placed fifth last year as a true freshman.  Zain Retherford placed 5th as a 141lber his true freshman year as well.  Cael has done pretty well with the lightweights and has also had some issues not related to development of talent.

Andrew Long - 3rd place finisher (I believe) who was kicked off the team.

Jimmy Gilubon - He was an AA and finished 5th at 133lbs as a sophomore.  People think Jimmy didn't live up to his recruiting ranking, but I think Cael got everything out of Jimmy that there was to get.  He had a fine career at PSU and is an AA.

Edited by StallWarning