Sign in to follow this  
Housebuye

Worlds Should be in the USA

UWW is missing out on capturing a bigger chunk of the US market. If the sport can continue to grow here, especially in freestyle, UWW, the fans, and athletes from around the world will benefit. We have an incredibly powerful economy and a strong culture of supporting sports. Combine that with an America vs the world pitch and wrestling can explode. 

The US has the most amount of support and we are the best we’ve ever been. Now is the time for UWW to capitalize. If we can get more American money flowing into the sport it will help every country’s athletes. A guy like Sadulaev would be hugely popular. Look at how infamous/famous Khabib is! For a guy like Bonne, it could be life changing to have some American support too. He could do clinics here, all star matches, etc. 

LA Olympics is too far away. Maybe 2021 or 2022 in an accessible US city with a strong fan base would be great. It should’ve been 2019, but it’s too late for that. 

UWW has a great chance to grow the sport right now in the biggest market in the world. It’s time to act. 

I like the way you think.  Sads would be loved, but our crowds may also choose to support anything Russian to the extent the Bronco Fans support the Patriot players.  I'd be curious to see how that played out among other things.  I'm curious why our countries do not compete against each other more.  There must be political reasons why we don't have annual events in all martial arts, weight lifting, track and field, swimming, chess, hockey, billiards, band and choir, etc.  

We just had the worlds 12 months ago. We also had three separate team trial events hyped like never before that had atrocious attendance, relatively speaking to what you are looking for.

1 minute ago, bnwtwg said:

We just had the worlds 12 months ago. We also had three separate team trial events hyped like never before that had atrocious attendance, relatively speaking to what you are looking for.

The last world championships in the US was in 2015. 

FinalX isn’t designed to have maximum individual event turnout. They did a lot of things right with it but made some mistakes (like some of their location choices). It was also the first time they did this. Of course it won’t have a huge following yet. It was an excellent step in the right direction. 

I disagree having the WTT in three different locations was a STUPID IDIOTIC idea that failed miserably.  Go a head and have the mini tournaments in three different locations is fun but the finals should be held at one location.  JMO

Edited by Alwayswrestling

Budapest had more people every session for two more days than Vegas did. Had a bigger venue and the last three days of Greco were loud, boisterous and constantly rocking. It's also much costlier for countries to come to the U.S. (flights alone are basically starting at 1K just to cross the pond), whereas flights in and around Europe are seriously cheap by comparison. 

Flight costs coming to the U.S. are problematic. Flights around Europe are cheap. Crossing (any) pond is not cheap. 

There's also the visa situation, which our government can be a little sticky about. It's not easy to travel here from abroad. Lots more hoops to jump through than people have to go to when going to Hungary. Each country has its own uniqueness regarding which countries you need a visa and which ones you don't. - I've needed visas for Uzbekistan, Russia and Brazil in advance, while I picked up visas upon arrival in Azerbaijan. 

We didn't get NCAA-type crowds in Vegas, but to be fair, Paris and Budapest weren't getting 18K either, but the dynamic fanbase having the event in Europe, as well as quick access to international dignitaries who can drop in for a day or two at a time vs. spending four days total to spend two days at an event is better for international reach and accessibility. Both those spots the last two years outdrew the destination city of Las Vegas, which has a pile of cheap flights in and out around the U.S.

As far as wrestling goes, we need to look at it from a global perspective. In North and South America, the medalists are coming from the U.S., Canada and Cuba. It's not often a South American country wins a medal (it's happened, but it's rare). So we are basically a no-man's land when it comes to wrestling competition. It's us and Cuba in freestyle, us and Canada in the women and just Cuba in Greco. With women's freestyle and Greco, do we have enough American fans to want to have tickets for them too? Vegas crowds didn't seem to be as receptive to those styles. 

The support for the U.S. is great, but no way we pack a place for Greco like the Hungarians did (or pretty much any other country that's hosted outside of the U.S.). I'd love for it to be here, but we are also a reactive fanbase as American wrestling fans. International wrestling fans are more like soccer fans - they sing, chant, cheer, blow horns constantly. They don't sit back and wait for a score to cheer. We just aren't wired that way. American ticket prices are also higher than overseas. I think we run fantastic events here, but there is a big, big world out there who can do things just as good, if not better, than we can when it comes to events. 

Jason - do you have attendance numbers for Budapest? also the ticket prices? I was at the 15 worlds for 2 nights and stands were pretty full. I'm guessing 5,000 each night. plus the tickets weren't cheap. something like $80.

Budapest was loud and the crowd was great but I didn't think the upper bowl every got filled so my guess was about the same attendance numbers. also the crowd was almost all Hungarians. the Germans had decent section and the Russians too but maybe a couple hundred at most? I think the Americans brough the biggest non-Hungarian crowd. I'd also like to know how other wrestling events do in Hungary. I felt most of the Hungarians came to support their country and to party (which is awesome), but I'm not sure how much they were actually into the sport. 

at least that was my impression. 

I definitely agree though that the biggest issue for the USA in hosting the worlds is going to be visas. not really for the fans, Americans will raise way more revenue in tix sales than worlds held anywhere else in the world, so foreigners traveling here is not a major concern, but for delegations and UWW officials. you saw that with the World Cup when Russia and Iran did not participate. so I'm guessing won't see the worlds for a while, but we will be able to get the World Cup and maybe a ranking tournament. 

Hope I'm wrong though and the Worlds comes back to the USA soon!

Seating configuration for Worlds at Papp Laszlo was approximately 9500 for wrestling. The last 3 days, tickets were all allotted and sold, whether they were used in the upper bowl is another conversation. The Orleans Arena capacity is 9500, but the 2015 Worlds was maxed around 8000. Obviously our roles preclude us from having to go buy tickets, so I’ll have to ask the NOC exactly what they were.

Per USAW, there were about 300 Americans who went on the trip (mostly FS).

The masses of non-wrestling fans there from Hungary is a distinct difference from having events like this in our country. Save the Olympics, we don’t routinely have thousands of people coming into an arena just to watch our countrymen/women compete.

I want it here again too.

1 minute ago, Katie said:

Outside the US, interesting choices would be:

• Cuba
  • Iran
  • Mongolia
  • Germany
  • India
  • South Korea

Inside the US, obvious choices would be LA, NY, Philly, Chicago, Vegas.

Chicago would draw the midwestern folkstyle fans.

Given our Midlands and Northwestern attendance, I don't put huge stock in Chicago being a huge local draw.   Can it happen?  Sure, but we've never proven to attend or travel well for wrestling related events. 

1 minute ago, Gantry said:

Given our Midlands and Northwestern attendance, I don't put huge stock in Chicago being a huge local draw.   Can it happen?  Sure, but we've never proven to attend or travel well for wrestling related events. 

Weather/travel conditions/holiday commitments would (could?) be better for Worlds as compared to Midlands.

Sure but again what wrestling event in Chicagoland has ever garnered a big crowd?  Went to the Curby Cup and a promoted Illini vs NU off campus dual and IIRC neither of those two sold out a high school gym.  The Northwestern duals are a virtual ghost town I would say not even 20% of the Sears Centre had people in the seats for Midlands (with admittedly awful weather) last year.  Heck the liveliest crowd I can ever remember in my 20 years of attending events is when Iowa came to Evanston to wrestle Northwestern. - and they were rooting for the other team!

Iowa is a few hours west and has proven time and time again they'll put butts in the seats regardless of weather.  Chicago sounds nice but I've seen nothing of the fanbase here that says they will come out for anything wrestling related in droves.  Plus logistically there's no one venue that is easy to get to for locals and somewhere out of towners want to be and do touristy stuff.  Maybe United Center?

Hey I hope it happens, but I'm skeptical we hit a home run in terms of local attendance.   But if you're thinking Chicago will get Iowa people here, Ohio people here, etc I can possibly see that. 

Edited by Gantry

34 minutes ago, Gantry said:

Sure but again what wrestling event in Chicagoland has ever garnered a big crowd?  Went to the Curby Cup and a promoted Illini vs NU off campus dual and IIRC neither of those two sold out a high school gym.  The Northwestern duals are a virtual ghost town I would say not even 20% of the Sears Centre had people in the seats for Midlands (with admittedly awful weather) last year.  Heck the liveliest crowd I can ever remember in my 20 years of attending events is when Iowa came to Evanston to wrestle Northwestern. - and they were rooting for the other team!

Iowa is a few hours west and has proven time and time again they'll put butts in the seats regardless of weather.  Chicago sounds nice but I've seen nothing of the fanbase here that says they will come out for anything wrestling related in droves.  Plus logistically there's no one venue that is easy to get to for locals and somewhere out of towners want to be and do touristy stuff.  Maybe United Center?

Hey I hope it happens, but I'm skeptical we hit a home run in terms of local attendance.   But if you're thinking Chicago will get Iowa people here, Ohio people here, etc I can possibly see that. 

I was thinking about Chicago drawing other midwestern states’ fans.  What about Rosemont?  Close to O’hare.  Might be too big of a venue, I don’t know.   I wonder if part of McKormick Place would work?   Iowa would be good too, but no international airport.  

Well, I went to the 15 World's at the Orleans, and I loved it. I saw many many stars, and even got to meet Dan Gable and one morning I got to walk to the arena with Coach Zeke Jones where we had a conversation about Brent Metcalf and our MFS team. 

But even though this was probably the best sporting event I have ever been to, I do know that during the Greco and Women's events the arena was basically empty. The benefit to that was I got to move around and get into seats that was very close to the action. It wasn't until MFS got underway that the place filled up and had to stay in my assigned seat. But watching SnyderMan win the World's over Gadisov, and JB winning another Gold was simply the best. 

I know that we may have some attendance and cost issues, but I sure would like to see the World's come back to the good ole USA. Heck, I would even like to see Juniors or Cadets being held here. 

Another poster or two brought this up and it was discussed after 2015 Worlds in Vegas. Any possibility of a 3 day event (Fri, Sat, Sun) for all 3 styles in different cities? For example Greco in Budapest, WFS in Tokyo and MFS in take your pick city. Try to have them in cities that would have good to great fan turnout?

(Saying this all with no clue on the logistics involved by breaking up the 3 styles.)  

Well after thinking about it, I was wondering if Carver-Hawkeye or the Devaney Center ( Lincoln Neb ), would be suitable sites. I picked those two places because on the wrestling fan base. And I know that Carver Hawkeye just held the World Cup there, and the place seemed pretty packed to me. I know that leading up to the World Cup, there was a lot of talk beforehand on this forum, about airport locations and other accommodations, and how difficult it would be, but I attended and I didn't recall any real issues. I know the World Championships will probably be another matter altogether because on the massively increased number of athletes and everything associated with them. I guess someone like Jason Bryant could probably weigh in and say with his knowledge and perspective if either of those locations would be able to support a World Championship and be able to accommodate everyone. 

But as I type this, I realize that Vegas will always probably be better suited even though there isn't a large local fan base, like you would find in Iowa for example, but the fans that do show up, will be able to get a two-fer, (1) attend the  World Championships, and (2), go to Vegas. As nice as Lincoln or Iowa City are, I think more people would rather go to Vegas. 

On 11/2/2018 at 6:28 PM, Housebuye said:

UWW is missing out on capturing a bigger chunk of the US market. If the sport can continue to grow here, especially in freestyle, UWW, the fans, and athletes from around the world will benefit. We have an incredibly powerful economy and a strong culture of supporting sports. Combine that with an America vs the world pitch and wrestling can explode. 

The US has the most amount of support and we are the best we’ve ever been. Now is the time for UWW to capitalize. If we can get more American money flowing into the sport it will help every country’s athletes. A guy like Sadulaev would be hugely popular. Look at how infamous/famous Khabib is! For a guy like Bonne, it could be life changing to have some American support too. He could do clinics here, all star matches, etc. 

LA Olympics is too far away. Maybe 2021 or 2022 in an accessible US city with a strong fan base would be great. It should’ve been 2019, but it’s too late for that. 

UWW has a great chance to grow the sport right now in the biggest market in the world. It’s time to act. 

90% good countrues from Euro/Asia. UWW based inEurope too. Time zone is very bad for us. let the United States will suffer from the time zone than the remaining 99% of countries. It is logical + after the 2015 World champ's there is a doubt injustice. The American championship of the world was very easy for Americans; they were helped in bracket, refs  etc. I think Worlds should be in Asia. Iran, Kazakhstan, Aze, maybe even in Mongolia or China not USA. Astana 2019, then 2021 in South America, maybe Japan. Then Europe, Slovakia or Poland. No usa. USA did in 2015. Thats enough. Maybe in 10 years maybe