Sign in to follow this  
lu_alum

Hey Spey - Suriano lost to non-Hawkeyes

The Clear #2: Nick Suriano, Rutgers

In two years in college, Surinao's only losses are to Hawkeyes: Thomas Gilman in 2017 and Spencer Lee in these past NCAA finals.

I seem to remember a dual in February 2017 in which Sorry-ano lost to a Cowboy named Piccininni.  He also took an loss to Ben Thornton of Purdue on his official record at B1G that season.  Career record officially shows four losses, two of which are to Hawkeyes.

https://www.pennstatewrestlingclub.org/content/roster_detail.php?rosterid=406

Edited by lu_alum

3 hours ago, lu_alum said:

I seem to remember a dual in February 2017 in which Sorry-ano lost to a Cowboy named Piccininni.  He also took an loss to Ben Thornton of Purdue on his official record at B1G that season.  Career record officially shows four losses, two of which are to Hawkeyes.

https://www.pennstatewrestlingclub.org/content/roster_detail.php?rosterid=406

Not a big Suriano fan, but this is a reach. One was to INJ and the other was by DEFAULT. Making this an issue in Flo's writeup seems ticky tack. 

Edited by TBar1977

Not a big Suriano fan, but this is a reach. One was to INJ and the other was by DEFAULT. Making this an issue in Flo's writeup seems ticky tack. 

Both were defaults, both are losses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

He’s not wrong, though.

Obligatory xkcd:

duty_calls.png

Seems like there are a bunch of better places to point out this pedantic correction, like..... oh I don't know...  the comment section of the article itself, twitter of Spey or Flo, email etc.    Just sayin

The calling out of Spey for a  small forgivable and relatively unimportant error seems excessive but the larger more important point is that FLO took away the comments section on their  own website and despite promising multiple times in responses over a year and a-half time to inquiries (from myself and others) that they were going to restore the comments section, they have not.  They are good with criticizing particular wrestling programs or coaches, Russia, the UWW, and others by name on FRL and other fora, but they make themselves literally immune to fair criticism and correction of their own factual errors.  It is one of the reasons why what they do cannot be properly called journalism.  They do a good job at promoting the sport, but a bad job at allowing feedback. 

The calling out of Spey for a  small forgivable and relatively unimportant error seems excessive but the larger more important point is that FLO took away the comments section on their  own website and despite promising multiple times in responses over a year and a-half time to inquiries (from myself and others) that they were going to restore the comments section, they have not.  They are good with criticizing particular wrestling programs or coaches, Russia, the UWW, and others by name on FRL and other fora, but they make themselves literally immune to fair criticism and correction of their own factual errors.  It is one of the reasons why what they do cannot be properly called journalism.  They do a good job at promoting the sport, but a bad job at allowing feedback. 
Flo sucks. Stop following this bush league organization.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I had to create an account just to tell you how much you're nitpicking the difference between an actual defeat and an injury defeat. Are we also now counting the Spencer Lee losses to Moisey and Russell as if they actually beat him at Midlands?

10 minutes ago, Hotkarl712 said:

I had to create an account just to tell you how much you're nitpicking the difference between an actual defeat and an injury defeat. Are we also now counting the Spencer Lee losses to Moisey and Russell as if they actually beat him at Midlands?

Those aren’t the same. When you step on the mat, that match counts, like it or not. Lee defaulted out of Midlands and never stepped on the mat in those two instances whereas Suriano had a match end by injury default and had to start the clock at B1G tourney  They are different situations and are counted differently statistically.   

That being said, a whole thread on this is blah because it could have been dealt with by simply contacting the author directly via numerous avenues (including a DM on this board where Spey has posted for years, even before he worked at Flo).  

17 minutes ago, Hotkarl712 said:

Those were not defaults they were medical forfeits. Suriano started two matches that due to injury he was not able to finish. Since he started the match and was not the winner and we do not have ties that makes him the loser and his actual record reflects that.

I feel the same way phish does. The matches may count as losses, but they are not losses on the mat while wrestling. They count, yes, but they have nothing at all to do with skill level on the mat. We all know they count. But they still were not losses due to the other wrestler outscoring you. There is a huge difference when you are talking about the relative talent level of wrestlers which is what Spey was doing. 

To object with Spey and make a huge deal out of his commentary is more misleading (imo, need that qualifier) than to allow Spey's comments to just stand on their own merit. 

Edited by TBar1977

Those aren’t the same. When you step on the mat, that match counts, like it or not. Lee defaulted out of Midlands and never stepped on the mat in those two instances whereas Suriano had a match end by injury default and had to start the clock at B1G tourney  They are different situations and are counted differently statistically.   

That being said, a whole thread on this is blah because it could have been dealt with by simply contacting the author directly via numerous avenues (including a DM on this board where Spey has posted for years, even before he worked at Flo).  

If I knew Spey’s screen name, I would have done so - as I have done with you on occasion, JB. Flo offers no avenue to comment on posted articles.

3 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

If I knew Spey’s screen name, I would have done so - as I have done with you on occasion, JB. Flo offers no avenue to comment on posted articles.

twitter is the best way to reach anyone at Flo. @speywrestle DMs are open!

5 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Sorry, I don’t tweet.

no problem. everyone's email is firstname.lastname@flosports.tv

so andrew.spey@flosports.tv but in this instance, you want daniel.lobdell@flosports.tv although really no need to bother, I've already let him know!

It’s Jaroslav Hasek. Sorry, I thought that was common knowledge.