Sign in to follow this  

2 hours ago, dmm53 said:

13-11 Oliver won.  He got a strange 5 point thrown on the edge and then mostly just ran away (evaded) the last two minutes.

What was strange about it? If Dake's toss at Worlds was a 5, then JO's throw here was an 8. JO was up by eight on two different occasions. He did put the skates on towards the end, but he got up 9-3 after the 5 pointer. 

5 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

What was strange about it? If Dake's toss at Worlds was a 5, then JO's throw here was an 8. JO was up by eight on two different occasions. He did put the skates on towards the end, but he got up 9-3 after the 5 pointer. 

I disagree JB. I thought Dake’s throw was higher amplitude and cleaner. JO’s throw was nice and certainly worth 4 but not 5. Doesn’t matter though. Very entertaining match.  I appreciate both wrestlers but give edge to JO because he has always been my favorite to watch with his vast arsenal, creativity, strength, speed and smarts. I hate watching him put on the skates or get conservative against top guys.  Looking forward to future matchups, will certainly be entertaining.

Edited by jstock

AWL 61

• Cory Clark (Team Taylor) won by decision over Tony Ramos (Team Dake) (Dec 8-0)

AWL 65

• Jordan Oliver (Team Dake) won by decision over Zain Retherford (Team Taylor) (Dec 13-11)

First Dennis, then Gilman, and now Clark. Rahmos can’t beat Hawkeyes even after moving to UNC.

(edit to add Gilman. I guess we could add McDonough as well since he forced Rahmos to 133)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, I thought this was a pretty cool event, I am looking forward to seeing/watching the second one. I am curious on who might be showcased at the next event. Also I can't wait to see the next matchup between J.O. and Zain Train. 

Also I can't wait to see the next matchup between J.O. and Zain Train. 

Both have intimated in interviews and/or on social media that they may compete in the Yargin. Doesn’t mean they both actually will or even hit each other if they do, but that is likely the next chance.

What would be interesting there is that I assume that tourney would be 2 Day weigh in with no allowance. That could help Zain a bit, but on the flip side, JO got hurt in his last international bout so I suspect he was not able to train that much for the AWL. For the Yargin, his wind should be much better—-but the weight and tourney format will be tougher.

Regardless, until Zain gets an actual win over JO (currently 3-0 JO), this isn’t a rivalry.

I’d like to see Zain and Stieber go at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A day after a wrestling event, as prolific and monumental as could be, and still no video coverage, no extensive information for the fans, and not even a single mention by Flo (the largest wrestling media outlet in North America). This is the problem with wrestling. If any event were ever to recieve mass coverage this would have been it. All wrestling events are poorly covered, outside of the NCAA finals. Jordan Oliver and Zain Retherford was a match up that everybody wanted to see and I see no footage now and, during the build-up, saw little to no promotion. Another fat L for wrestling and its fans. I hope we like taking a backseat to baseball, basketball, football, womens soccer, and even LaCrosse or Tennis. 

Trackwrestling had the stream, social, interviews post event and its Match Monday today is the full match. Numerous outlets tweeting from the event. TheMat.com had its normal recap. I can't speak for what the boys in Austin didn't elect to do. 

17 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

Trackwrestling had the stream, social, interviews post event and its Match Monday today is the full match. Numerous outlets tweeting from the event. TheMat.com had its normal recap. I can't speak for what the boys in Austin didn't elect to do. 

A lot of wrestling from this past weekend so I am hoping they are just playing catch up.  I hope they aren't trying to blackout any coverage, that would seem petty and childish.  I'll reserve judgement until after this week.  Loved AWL can't wait for the next one.