Sign in to follow this  
MadMardigain

What Redshirts are making some noise in the “Opens.”

With the first few weeks of the season being full of college opens we have a opportunity to see how some of next years class will look against top competition.  Who are the are first year redshirts or possible true freshman that are having some standout results at these events?

Edited by MadMardigain

Michael Beard just won Clarion, and Gabe Tagg just took out the #1 seed at Cowboy Open. There are two guys. I know they are grey shirts not redshirts, but in the "new guy on the scene" vein.

Edit: Tagg is in the am division at Cowboy Open, not the Elite division (college starters and the like). 

Edited by TBar1977

Peyton Mocco from Mizzou took out David Carr from Iowa State 9-8.  Both are pretty highly touted blue chip freshmen, but this has to be considered an upset.  Mocco defaulted out of the tournament after that win.  You probably aren't going to find a bigger win than Lewan's.

1 hour ago, Sheerstress said:

Still not officially a redshirt, but possibly not for long - Mason Parris just won the MSU Open 285 division, pinning CMU's Stencel in the finals.

This is a big win for Parris. Stencil is no slouch!

1 hour ago, wrestlingphish said:

So Lewan and Pantaleo is 2-2 right now. I don't think you pull Lewan out of RS under any circumstances (even injury to Pantaleo) but this bodes well for them post-Nolf.

If Panteleo gets injured, why not pull Lewan out? If as a true freshman at the start of the season he beats panteleo, he is extremely likely to AA

But extremely unlikely to win it. To win NCAAs against PSU a team like Michigan needs unexpected champs not 3rd-5th guys. Nolf pretty much all but eliminates that at 157. If I’m Bormet I hold Lewan out. But I also am wrong regularly so take it for what it’s worth. Midlands would be a good test.

some of the top FR/Greyshirts i noticed today - 

Sasso beat Omania in MSU Open FR/SO division. 

Artalona won MSU JR/SR Division.

Aaron Brooks won Elite Division at Wyoming.

Gabe Tagg win Amateur Division. Younger brother Julian placed.

Malik Heinselman and Gavin Hoffman won MSU FR/SO.

Lewan and Parris won MSU JR/SR.

Mizzou's Brock Mauller beat Degen in finals of ISU.

Beard won Clarion.

expect a lot of HSers at Binghamton and ESU Open.

6 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

Pretty sure Parris will stay in RS too. 

1) Mich isn't set up to win the title this year

2) they could, conceivably, in a couple years

3) despite Parris being as good as he is, he's still 'raw'.

You think if Panteleo gets injured, Lewan stays in redshirt?

Michigan is crazy if they don't start Parris.  Having good seasons repeatedly is their next step.  If they want to plan for one great season, it's more than likely they still won't win it given the talent being accumulated at Ohio State and Penn State.  

Not a redshirt but a high schooler, Cornell recruit Lewis Fernandes (Flo #9 at 220) wrestling 285 at the Princeton Open pinned a Stanford guy with a standing assassin.  I'm guessing that literally made some noise.  Went fall/fall/dec/LBF/MFF to take third.

7 minutes ago, klehner said:

Not a redshirt but a high schooler, Cornell recruit Lewis Fernandes (Flo #9 at 220) wrestling 285 at the Princeton Open pinned a Stanford guy with a standing assassin.  I'm guessing that literally made some noise.  Went fall/fall/dec/LBF/MFF to take third.

Impressive

8 minutes ago, Cradle1 said:

This is possibly the worst ncaa heavyweight field of the past 30 years-  thus it makes zero sense for Parris, Steveson, or Elam to redshirt. 

According to Flo, Gable has said on Instagram somewhere that the plan is for him to redshirt.

4 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

According to Flo, Gable has said on Instagram somewhere that the plan is for him to redshirt.

He was getting asked constantly about it, so Gable said that he was in redshirt for now (or at least that was the implication). He did not say he is staying in redshirt for sure.

I imagine they will see how the season progresses on and off the mat. I'd be surprised if they didn't pull his shirt by January.