Sign in to follow this  
MadMardigain

What Redshirts are making some noise in the “Opens.”

On 11/5/2018 at 1:04 PM, Cradle1 said:

This is possibly the worst ncaa heavyweight field of the past 30 years-  thus it makes zero sense for Parris, Steveson, or Elam to redshirt. 

Elam is out. I expect Steveson to be out by Jan. 

Not sure on Parris. He pinned the #15 guy in 14 seconds but they probably want to see him win some drawn out matches before making the decision. He is a bit undersized. This is also the first time he is focusing on wrestling solely. 

He may end up being an Adam Coon type guy (perpetual contender) if they hold him out and just let him focus on getting better this year. 

Hvwt is down this year, but it might be the best ever if all of these recruits Pan out. Seth Nevills, Kerklevit, Schultz, Parris, Elam, Steveson - the list is crazy. 3 of those guys have age level world finals experience. I imagine more guys will emerge too (that tends to happen at heavyweight). 

2 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Elam is out. I expect Steveson to be out by Jan. 

Not sure on Parris. He pinned the #15 guy in 14 seconds but they probably want to see him win some drawn out matches before making the decision. He is a bit undersized. This is also the first time he is focusing on wrestling solely. 

He may end up being an Adam Coon type guy (perpetual contender) if they hold him out and just let him focus on getting better this year. 

Hvwt is down this year, but it might be the best ever if all of these recruits Pan out. Seth Nevills, Kerklevit, Schultz, Parris, Elam, Steveson - the list is crazy. 3 of those guys have age level world finals experience. I imagine more guys will emerge too (that tends to happen at heavyweight). 

Exactly. I've never seen a situation quite like heavyweight is currently. The Junior Class at the NCAA Level is literally non-existent, nobody has emerged as anything resembling an elite wrestler.  You take a Senior who is ranked like 8th, and for the most part he's only ranked there because everyone else graduated, he's never cracked the top 20 until this year.  I literally think that if you arranged some sort of dual between the six best 17-19 year old heavyweights in the country (i.e. high schoolers and the best true freshmen) against the six best 20-22 year olds in country, the younger guys might win and would definitely make it very competitive at the least. Historically, such a dual would be a complete massacre. In my opinion, there are as many as a half dozen between freshman and High School (think Kerkleviet and Schultz) who would AA this year. 

The battles to come will be incredible to say the least.

2 minutes ago, Cradle1 said:

Exactly. I've never seen a situation quite like heavyweight is currently. The Junior Class at the NCAA Level is literally non-existent, nobody has emerged as anything resembling an elite wrestler.  You take a Senior who is ranked like 8th, and for the most part he's only ranked there because everyone else graduated, he's never cracked the top 20 until this year.  I literally think that if you arranged some sort of dual between the six best 17-19 year old heavyweights in the country (i.e. high schoolers and the best true freshmen) against the six best 20-22 year olds in country, the younger guys might win and would definitely make it very competitive at the least. Historically, such a dual would be a complete massacre. In my opinion, there are as many as a half dozen between freshman and High School (think Kerkleviet and Schultz) who would AA this year. 

The battles to come will be incredible to say the least.

wow. Really good point. I can't imagine this has ever happened before. HVWT is normally dominated by upper classman. 

would anyone be shocked if Stoll loses to Steveson? I think Schultz is probably a bad matchup for him. Rumor out of the Iowa room is Cassiopi is giving Stoll a lot of trouble, and he is damn good but has losses to Gable and Shultz. 

Gable killed Tanner Hall. 

Nevills would be problems for some of these guys. He is pretty slick and enormous, but I wouldn't confidently pick him over Gable or Kerklevit. 

Parris just decked the #15 guy in 14 seconds. We don't know much else about him vs the top guys, but would anyone be that surprised if he beat a 4-8 guy?

Pre-season rankings

1 SR Sam Stoll Iowa 5
2 SR Nick Nevills Penn State 7
3 SR Youssif Hemida Maryland 8
4 SR Derek White OK State 10
5 SR Tanner Hall Arizona State 16
6 SO Jordan Wood Lehigh 11
7 SR Billy Miller  Virginia Tech 13
8 SR Jere Heino Campbell 15

1. All of these guys could challenge him. Cassiopi is giving him trouble.

2.  Hasn't faced any of these guys. I'm sure he has Seth's number, but Kerklevit and Gable would be in play to take him out. Not to mention, he is coming off of surgery. Heavyweights don't recover well from surgery generally. (side note - I really like Nevills when he is in peak form. I think his sophomore year he was at his best, but was just in an insane weight class)

3. I think Hemida has been steadily improving. I'll give him that. He didn't beat anyone of note to make the U23s. He did have a legit win over Stoll at NCAAs. He would be at best 50/50 with the lower tier new heavyweights odds wise. Gable is probably a 3:1 favorite in this match.

4. Never AAd. Solid wrestler. Very strong, good finishes, etc, but he isn't beating super talents. He doesn't have any signature wins. Best wins are Tanner Hall and Billy Miller. 

5. Gable killed him. Not competitive. I am ASU fan, but facts are facts

6. Really solid wrestler. I'd be shocked if he doesn't AA. Gable has his number though.

7. Got majored (12-4) by #4

8. Solid in freestyle, Hasn't demonstrated that in folk (yet)

I think if we could pick the matchups, the current top 8 vs the best young guys would be a mismatch.

On 11/7/2018 at 3:14 PM, Housebuye said:

wow. Really good point. I can't imagine this has ever happened before. HVWT is normally dominated by upper classman. 

would anyone be shocked if Stoll loses to Steveson? I think Schultz is probably a bad matchup for him. Rumor out of the Iowa room is Cassiopi is giving Stoll a lot of trouble, and he is damn good but has losses to Gable and Shultz. 

Gable killed Tanner Hall. 

Nevills would be problems for some of these guys. He is pretty slick and enormous, but I wouldn't confidently pick him over Gable or Kerklevit. 

Parris just decked the #15 guy in 14 seconds. We don't know much else about him vs the top guys, but would anyone be that surprised if he beat a 4-8 guy?

Pre-season rankings

1 SR Sam Stoll Iowa 5
2 SR Nick Nevills Penn State 7
3 SR Youssif Hemida Maryland 8
4 SR Derek White OK State 10
5 SR Tanner Hall Arizona State 16
6 SO Jordan Wood Lehigh 11
7 SR Billy Miller  Virginia Tech 13
8 SR Jere Heino Campbell 15

1. All of these guys could challenge him. Cassiopi is giving him trouble.

2.  Hasn't faced any of these guys. I'm sure he has Seth's number, but Kerklevit and Gable would be in play to take him out. Not to mention, he is coming off of surgery. Heavyweights don't recover well from surgery generally. (side note - I really like Nevills when he is in peak form. I think his sophomore year he was at his best, but was just in an insane weight class)

3. I think Hemida has been steadily improving. I'll give him that. He didn't beat anyone of note to make the U23s. He did have a legit win over Stoll at NCAAs. He would be at best 50/50 with the lower tier new heavyweights odds wise. Gable is probably a 3:1 favorite in this match.

4. Never AAd. Solid wrestler. Very strong, good finishes, etc, but he isn't beating super talents. He doesn't have any signature wins. Best wins are Tanner Hall and Billy Miller. 

5. Gable killed him. Not competitive. I am ASU fan, but facts are facts

6. Really solid wrestler. I'd be shocked if he doesn't AA. Gable has his number though.

7. Got majored (12-4) by #4

8. Solid in freestyle, Hasn't demonstrated that in folk (yet)

I think if we could pick the matchups, the current top 8 vs the best young guys would be a mismatch.

I didnt get to watch, but Gable killed Hall? 3-1 in SV cant be a kill in any way. On a side note, glad Tanner is RS this year.

Aaron Brooks!  He might not technically be a redshirt since he is spending the year at the OTC in Colorado, but he has already  easily won two college tournaments this season.  

He is going to be the kind of transformative and elite guy for Penn State in the way that Nolf, Nickal, Retherford, Taylor, and Ruth have been.

8 hours ago, gobraves101905 said:

I didnt get to watch, but Gable killed Hall? 3-1 in SV cant be a kill in any way. On a side note, glad Tanner is RS this year.

Killed is so ridiculous. Stevenson won on a controversial TD in overtime that was not subject to video review.

You have to love the Internet!

9 hours ago, gobraves101905 said:

Housebye posted that days before Yesterday’s match.....

it is is obvious he is referring to their freestyle encounter. 

Gotta love the internet.. lol