Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

Daktronics

2 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Some guy named Gable Steveson won Hwt 8-4 over his team mate Rylee Streifel. 

Some guy named Gable Steveson looks like a true freshman that is "good", but not some world-beater the hype has presumed he would be.  He "should have" teched his way to the finals.  The Streifel match is expected to be close, given they're teammates, but... all others should have "bowed" before the Gable.  The Nebraska kid in the semi's is their backup, and gave him a significant sweat.  

I'm not seeing this "Destroyer of Worlds" moniker... (yet)...

3 hours ago, BigTimeFan said:

Didn’t Gable crush everyone last years?

My 2c: Gable will be a world beater. It’s just hard to move out of your home, adjust to life on a college campus, adjust to a D1 wrestling room. 

He's certainly got the posing down.

gable.png

22 hours ago, treep2000 said:

Some guy named Gable Steveson looks like a true freshman that is "good", but not some world-beater the hype has presumed he would be.  He "should have" teched his way to the finals.  The Streifel match is expected to be close, given they're teammates, but... all others should have "bowed" before the Gable.  The Nebraska kid in the semi's is their backup, and gave him a significant sweat.  

I'm not seeing this "Destroyer of Worlds" moniker... (yet)...

Well he did destroy Tanner Hall in tournament action. Time will tell, but I'm betting on a NCAA title this year.

54 minutes ago, REPetzoldt said:

Well he did destroy Tanner Hall in tournament action. Time will tell, but I'm betting on a NCAA title this year.

That was Freestyle right?  Different animal... 

Again, Gable wrestled no one of relative moxy, and the Nebraska backup hung tough with him.  With Gable's hype, he should be bonusing at, at least, a 50%+ rate, and humilating other team's backups.  He did not do this.  

As a comparison, look at Spencer Lee, and his first year.  Sure, his first real tourney was Midlands, and he took a loss... but it was to Bresser, who, by all accounts, is "there", and it was by a point.  By the end of the season, he had an NCAA's to remember.  The equivalent of Gable and the Nebraska backup is like Spencer Lee wrestling Brakan Mead from tOSU (last year's backup for NaTo, and only beating him by 6-7 points.  Not "hype-worthy" is what I'm trying to say.

1 hour ago, treep2000 said:

That was Freestyle right?  Different animal... 

Again, Gable wrestled no one of relative moxy, and the Nebraska backup hung tough with him.  With Gable's hype, he should be bonusing at, at least, a 50%+ rate, and humilating other team's backups.  He did not do this.  

As a comparison, look at Spencer Lee, and his first year.  Sure, his first real tourney was Midlands, and he took a loss... but it was to Bresser, who, by all accounts, is "there", and it was by a point.  By the end of the season, he had an NCAA's to remember.  The equivalent of Gable and the Nebraska backup is like Spencer Lee wrestling Brakan Mead from tOSU (last year's backup for NaTo, and only beating him by 6-7 points.  Not "hype-worthy" is what I'm trying to say.

No. He dominated Tanner Hall in folkstyle last year as well.

You are being ridiculous. Saying he underperformed in his first tournament as a true freshman because he didn't bonus 50%+ of the field is silly. He is a heavyweight. Their bonus rates are often lower. He is a true freshman. He was NEVER in any danger of losing a match. He is in the middle of transitioning to college life. 

Mark Hall lost a multiple times his true freshman year and won a title. So did Myles Martin. Give it a rest. 

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

No. He dominated Tanner Hall in folkstyle last year as well.

You are being ridiculous. Saying he underperformed in his first tournament as a true freshman because he didn't bonus 50%+ of the field is silly. He is a heavyweight. Their bonus rates are often lower. He is a true freshman. He was NEVER in any danger of losing a match. He is in the middle of transitioning to college life. 

Mark Hall lost a multiple times his true freshman year and won a title. So did Myles Martin. Give it a rest. 

Oh come on... just because I'm not seeing the same thing everyone else is, and have a differing opinion, I have to give it a rest?  C'mon dude... feelers are bound to get hurt when we debate... but that's why we debate.  

So... after Tourney #1... no... I don't see the hype.  When he techs Singletary or majors Nevills (like everyone thinks he can), then I shall humbly eat whatever crow is placed in front of me... 

Until next time... stay thirsty my friends... 

2 hours ago, treep2000 said:

Oh come on... just because I'm not seeing the same thing everyone else is, and have a differing opinion, I have to give it a rest?  C'mon dude... feelers are bound to get hurt when we debate... but that's why we debate.  

So... after Tourney #1... no... I don't see the hype.  When he techs Singletary or majors Nevills (like everyone thinks he can), then I shall humbly eat whatever crow is placed in front of me... 

Until next time... stay thirsty my friends... 

You used this same argument with Mark Hall right?

Just now, Housebuye said:

You used this same argument with Mark Hall right?

Yes... and I wasn't "high" on Hall after his initial lackluster performances and was in absolute disbelief when he lost to the no-name Iowa kid.  

Again... This early in the season is effectively no indication of end of season results/success, but... it's the hype.  If you got it like they do, then I want to see it flaunted.  

13 hours ago, Boompa said:

And the fact he is a 2x PA AAA state champion.  Astounding and Tbar is trying way too hard.

You should see how badly I can misspell some PA wrestlers names. Stoutenmier, Kimmer. It never ends. Forget about that Josh Jeva.

Wake me up when you can spell Cael. 

Edited by TBar1977