Sign in to follow this  
Perry

Ducking

Because my wife worked for an NCAA Div 1 football program I learned a long time ago that there are a lot of reasons why athletes do or do not compete at any given time. Coaches rarely talk about discipline unless it becomes a chronic problem. Brands could be sitting out because he missed a tutoring session, was late for a lift, etc. Those are all things that would be ahead of ducking someone in November in my opinion.

2 hours ago, headshuck said:

Essentially killing off National Duals was a duck of another color.

True, the entire wrestling season is really just three days in March.  Everything else is preliminary, with the objective to qualify for the main event, and to secure the best seed possible.  How can we blame coaches for gaming the system, if that is the system?  No difference, IMO, between saying "We're holding this wrestler out of the All Star match because it may hurt his seed", and "We're holding this wrestler out of a dual because it may hurt his seed".  This is what the sport has come to.  Get used to it.

8 hours ago, red blades said:

True, the entire wrestling season is really just three days in March.  Everything else is preliminary, with the objective to qualify for the main event, and to secure the best seed possible.  How can we blame coaches for gaming the system, if that is the system?  No difference, IMO, between saying "We're holding this wrestler out of the All Star match because it may hurt his seed", and "We're holding this wrestler out of a dual because it may hurt his seed".  This is what the sport has come to.  Get used to it.

Why should we get used to it? It sucks. Change something. 

12 hours ago, red blades said:

You know, some guys actually wrestle because they love the sport and love to compete.  To them it's about more than just 3 days in March.

Warner was back in september. He's not ready to go 6 weeks later? If he's not hurt then hes being held out for another reason and seed protection is the likely answer imo. Imagine if it was "tan tom" at tosu doing this. The iowa fan base would crucify him (again). I suppose double standards are a part of every fanbase, though..

7 minutes ago, Perry said:

Warner was back in september. He's not ready to go 6 weeks later? If he's not hurt then hes being held out for another reason and seed protection is the likely answer imo. Imagine if it was "tan tom" at tosu doing this. The iowa fan base would crucify him (again). I suppose double standards are a part of every fanbase, though..

Iowa  fans are guilty of it more than most. Just reed their forums. Constantly bashing other team and coaches, but if you say anything negative about them at all, they freak out.

many of them actually think Flowrestling is bias against Iowa. 

On 11/6/2018 at 2:22 PM, TBar1977 said:

Warner wrestled in their wrestle offs on Friday. He's also been back plenty long enough from U23's to be at 197 without problem. There is a clip of Brands saying something like U23's was a factor. I will try to find that clip. 

EDIT: Here is Brands answer from Media Day (with link to transcript)

Q. Outside of 141, what were some other reactions?
TOM BRANDS: ...  We have Jacob Warner, who is not going to be in the lineup this weekend because he just got back — 

The above is found in the next to the last question at this link: https://www.hawkeyenation.com/wrestling/tom-brands-media-day-press-conference-transcript-video

and thus he is "ducking" the competition until we think he is ready to go, isn't that what the thread is about?

evidently Warner took the slow boat to china on his way back  ;)

Warner has a tough first month schedule wise and he's young and is not very tough mentally he doesn't bounce back well after losses.Conel,Brucki,Brunner,Miklus and Weiler are 5 of his first 6 matches.Imagine we see him for Brunner  and Weiler.And I think if he beats Brunner he will go against Miklus

Just thinking out loud here.

Warner will miss Conel and he doesn't face Bo Nickal or Kollin Moore until Big10's. Should now be able to avoid that dreaded 4th seed at NCAA's. But maybe not. Conel can take the weekend off and maybe he'll get to NCAA's among the top 3. Same for Kollin Moore. Bo Nickal is almost a given, so maybe Warner ends up in that dreaded 4 or 5 seed anyway. 

As Tbar is pointing out...this is going to remain an ugly horrible little game until duals mean something.

It's goes against the primal nature of wrestling.

Plus, ever since Brands went "intergalactic" he's been a citrus fruit fan.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

When Warner returned from Junior Worlds, he took a month off, because he trained through the summer, while other guys were taking a break, he was preparing.  I don't see an issue with Warner getting a late start to his season.  An NCAA season is long and if a wrestler burns out and doesn't peak in March then the same people that are complaining about Warner not going today are saying, look at Iowa, they burn their guys out and they can't peak in March.  The coaches know their athletes best.  I don't see this a being a problem.  I truly don't.  Yes, he wrestled in the wrestle-off and that is part of getting him ready.  I'm sure he will be going soon, just not tonight.  

Warner will also miss Brucki. And more then likely Brunner he's at U23 this week and will only be home for a few days before the Iowa dual.If Warner had guys to start the year who were average wrestlers he would be going right away even Iowa fans know that's true not saying they will admit it though.

Conel stated he would not compete after Warner was pulled. There's more to this than just Conel as justafan stated above. He is being withheld from arguably the only tough part of his season prior to B1G.

3 hours ago, wrestlingphish said:

Conel looked like a shell of himself against CSU-B and almost lost. Iowa’s 184 back up dominates the guy Conel almost lost to and then Conel doesn’t wrestle against Iowa. Much ado about nothing since Warner and Conel wouldn’t have even met.

Early season matchups often go that way.  Conditioning is the biggest factor, of course, and probably Conel isn't in shape yet. Some guys need the entire year to get ready for States (or Nationals)!