Sign in to follow this  
Cradle1

Takuto Otoguro

Nothing was more impressive than the way this 19 year old blitzed a very tough field at Worlds this year.  It got me curious to know more about this wrestler's results prior to worlds- to see if this is something we should have expected, a whole new level he just suddenly reached, or just the tournament of a lifetime.  After doing a google search I feel like you can't find any results for the guy at all- he won cadet worlds in 2015 (a year after getting eliminated early in a weight that Spencer Lee teched his way through) but then it's as if he didn't wrestle anywhere in 2016 or 2017.  Even this year, he split time on the Japanese team for World Cup. beating Logan in one of his two matches. 

Anyone seen other prior results from him for the past few years or this season?  Is he currently unbeaten on the senior level?  And who the hell did Japan take to Junior Worlds other than Otoguro the past two years? Lol 

Date Competition Style Age Group Weight Class Country Rank
2018-10-20 World Championship Freestyle Seniors 65.0 JPN 1.
2018-06-15 All-Japan Invitational Championships Freestyle Seniors 65.0 JPN 1.
2018-04-07 World Cup Freestyle Seniors Team JPN 3.
2015-08-25 World Championship Freestyle Cadets 54.0 JPN 1.
2014-07-15 World Championship Freestyle Cadets 50,0 JPN 11.
2014-05-08 Asian Championship Freestyle Cadets 50,0 JPN 1.
2013-08-24 World Championship Freestyle Cadets 46.0 JPN 3.

12 hours ago, CA_Wrestler said:
Date Competition Style Age Group Weight Class Country Rank
2018-10-20 World Championship Freestyle Seniors 65.0 JPN 1.
2018-06-15 All-Japan Invitational Championships Freestyle Seniors 65.0 JPN 1.
2018-04-07 World Cup Freestyle Seniors Team JPN 3.
2015-08-25 World Championship Freestyle Cadets 54.0 JPN 1.
2014-07-15 World Championship Freestyle Cadets 50,0 JPN 11.
2014-05-08 Asian Championship Freestyle Cadets 50,0 JPN 1.
2013-08-24 World Championship Freestyle Cadets 46.0 JPN 3.

This raises more questions than answers. No results from 2016 or 2017, apparently worlds was his first major tournament at the senior level other than two duals at World Cup.  Amazing. 

Wheres the evidence he was behind higuchi? Not doubting you just curious.

28 minutes ago, Axe_Spartan said:

Great tournament by Otogoru, but in terms of "more impressive performance", I still stick with Sadikov's performance, beating both Burroughs and Chamizo.

Add in Tsabolov just to make his team... dude had a hell of a run 

8 hours ago, Cradle1 said:

This raises more questions than answers. No results from 2016 or 2017, apparently worlds was his first major tournament at the senior level other than two duals at World Cup.  Amazing. 

Wheres the evidence he was behind higuchi? Not doubting you just curious.

I'm really not sure about Otoguro wrestling senior level in 2016-2017 because he was still in HS.

Otoguro was Japan's 60kg Jr National champion in 2016.  He beat 6 collegiate wrestlers for that title.  I think he could have been injured for Jr Worlds that year because the guy who he beat in the finals was Japan's 60kg rep at Jr Worlds in 2016.

Higuchi moved up to 61kg after the Olympics(robbed in the final..) and lost to a college rival of his, Rinya Nakamura at Japan's WTT in 2017.

Of course, we know that Yuki Takahashi was Japan's 2017 57kg rep and was the World Champ that year.

Otoguro wrestled against Higuchi in the 65kg final of the Meiji Cup this year(basically Japan's WTT) and beat Higuchi 9-0

http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Rei+Higuchi/Japan+Wrestling+Invitational+Championships/7w9QJxknjJ4

Edited by CA_Wrestler

20 hours ago, Axe_Spartan said:

Great tournament by Otogoru, but in terms of "more impressive performance", I still stick with Sadikov's performance, beating both Burroughs and Chamizo.

I will take Otoguro because nearly every sadikov win was by criteria including over Tsabalov. Winning by being the last one to push the other guy out of bounds just doesn’t set my pulse racing I guess.

So As far as I can tell from these posts Otoguro hasn’t lost since 2014....when he was 15.

2 hours ago, Cradle1 said:

I will take Otoguro because nearly every sadikov win was by criteria including over Tsabalov. Winning by being the last one to push the other guy out of bounds just doesn’t set my pulse racing I guess.

So As far as I can tell from these posts Otoguro hasn’t lost since 2014....when he was 15.

I think knocking off 3 separate gold medalists on your way to your first gold deserves the biggest tip of the cap, but I guess it's all opinion. 
Otoguro's only real noteworthy win of the tourney was Chakeav right or am I missing one??

Edited by spladle08

8 hours ago, spladle08 said:

I think knocking off 3 separate gold medalists on your way to your first gold deserves the biggest tip of the cap, but I guess it's all opinion. 
Otoguro's only real noteworthy win of the tourney was Chakeav right or am I missing one??

I was extremely impressed with Otoguru. 65kg is always a bear. I can't wait to watch him in the future.

But if we're going to start comparing gold medalists' performances, you have to at least consider Sadulaev. He had four techs and a fall, with the fall being over Snyder.

9 minutes ago, Katie said:

I was extremely impressed with Otoguru. 65kg is always a bear. I can't wait to watch him in the future.

But if we're going to start comparing gold medalists' performances, you have to at least consider Sadulaev. He had four techs and a fall, with the fall being over Snyder.

Absolutely, but I guess when a favorite dominates it's always "expected' 
That said: we were streaming it in our FB group and I made the comment, "Hopefully Snyder has been playing opossum, because Sad seems unbeatable and Snyder seems like he belongs with the rest of the field, but he always wins so I'm holding out hope".... 
After a 1min pin, I was like "Nobody is beating Sadulav for a long time... Overall most dominate performance if we wrestle that tourney 10x, give me Sad all day baby. 
but.... 
Well there is no "but..." for a second I lost track of what we were comparing, but for overall dominance Sad was the award winner, 
Surprise Champion give me Sidakov or Otoguro

All the other weights had pretty good competition with no otherworldly performances. 

On 11/9/2018 at 2:23 PM, spladle08 said:

Absolutely, but I guess when a favorite dominates it's always "expected' 
That said: we were streaming it in our FB group and I made the comment, "Hopefully Snyder has been playing opossum, because Sad seems unbeatable and Snyder seems like he belongs with the rest of the field, but he always wins so I'm holding out hope".... 
After a 1min pin, I was like "Nobody is beating Sadulav for a long time... Overall most dominate performance if we wrestle that tourney 10x, give me Sad all day baby. 
but.... 
Well there is no "but..." for a second I lost track of what we were comparing, but for overall dominance Sad was the award winner, 
Surprise Champion give me Sidakov or Otoguro

All the other weights had pretty good competition with no otherworldly performances. 

Okay, so your criteria are as follows:

1. Take Sadulaev off the table because he's too good.
  2. Focus on performances by wrestlers who do not have name recognition.
  3. Place a lot of emphasis on strength of competition.
  4. Place little emphasis on lack of domination.

Using that criteria, Sidakov had the best performance? I guess I can agree.

On 11/9/2018 at 8:44 AM, spladle08 said:

I think you're looking at "noteworthy wins" a bit wrong.  65 kg had four World Olympic champions, including two wrestlers who had a combined total of five titles and ten world/Olympic medals between them.  None of these wrestlers made it far enough to face Otoguro.  What does that tell you about the strength of the weight class?  In other words, he won convincingly against the guys who beat these world champs. 

I'm just not quite on the Sidakov bandwagon yet I guess.  From my perspective, he basically won four coin flips in a row. I feel like any of those results could flip next time, if he's even the guy a year from now, this is Russia after all you can be world champion one year and 3rd string the next. I like Dake to beat him when/if he drops.

If we're talking best performance of the tournament, obviously that Sadulaev by a country mile. I'd argue that Dake and Taylor were the 2nd and 3rd best.  Dake didn't allow a point and teched his way to the finals. I'd be willing to bet that not many wrestlers have gone un-scored upon at worlds in men's freestyle since the era of the push out began. if any.  Taylor knocks off two time world/olympic champ, techs in the finals in a little over one period.  In my view those are your top three wrestlers in the world right now.

17 hours ago, Cradle1 said:

I think you're looking at "noteworthy wins" a bit wrong.  65 kg had four World Olympic champions, including two wrestlers who had a combined total of five titles and ten world/Olympic medals between them.  None of these wrestlers made it far enough to face Otoguro.  What does that tell you about the strength of the weight class?  In other words, he won convincingly against the guys who beat these world champs. 

I'm just not quite on the Sidakov bandwagon yet I guess.  From my perspective, he basically won four coin flips in a row. I feel like any of those results could flip next time, if he's even the guy a year from now, this is Russia after all you can be world champion one year and 3rd string the next. I like Dake to beat him when/if he drops.

If we're talking best performance of the tournament, obviously that Sadulaev by a country mile. I'd argue that Dake and Taylor were the 2nd and 3rd best.  Dake didn't allow a point and teched his way to the finals. I'd be willing to bet that not many wrestlers have gone un-scored upon at worlds in men's freestyle since the era of the push out began. if any.  Taylor knocks off two time world/olympic champ, techs in the finals in a little over one period.  In my view those are your top three wrestlers in the world right now.

Let's not forget that Otoguro beat Higuchi in their WTT finals to rep Japan. 

On 11/13/2018 at 10:46 AM, Gantry said:

Has Higuchi had any good results since Rio?  I'm not even sure he's made his national team since then, his Olympic run seems like more of an anomaly...

After Rio, he went up to 61kg and lost the 2017 WTT finals match to his college rival.

Then this year, he lost to Otoguro in the WTT finals match.

I haven't seen him in any international tournaments before this year's U23 that's going on right now.  He's slated to compete as Japan's 65kg entry.