dmm53

Is Iowa PA-west (or midwest)?

Iowa's lineup this weekend will likely feature 5 guys from PA:

Lee 125

DeSanto 133

Murin  141

Young 157

Kemmerer  174

That's half the lineup.  And while not from PA, Lugo (149) is a transfer from Edinboro (in PA) and another likely starter.

By contrast, Penn State's lineup this weekend will only feature 4 PA guys: Schnupp, Verkleeren, Nolf,  and Joseph. 

If/when Schnupp is replaced by Teske and Verkleeren is replaced by Berge at some point, they could be down to 2 PA guys.   

A curious situation:  

Spencer Lee is the only guy on Iowa's lineup and tOSU with Pletcher, Sasso and Hoffman that Sanderson really wanted.  While the other 4 PA guys on Iowa's roster and the 3 on tOSU's roster will probably almost all become multiple AA's and even become a champ someday, Sanderson's recruiting philosophy is very clear.  He is looking for guys that are the right fit for his program (think Ed Ruth sr to Lehigh or Marstellar).

But as a PA guy myself, I would love to see a lineup at "THE" Pennsylvania State University like this:

125:  Lee

133: Pletcher

141:  Murin/Sasso

149:  Verkleeren

157:  Nolf

165:  Joseph

174:  Kemmerer

197:  Beard/Hoffman

42 minutes ago, Boompa said:

Spencer Lee is the only guy on Iowa's lineup and tOSU with Pletcher, Sasso and Hoffman that Sanderson really wanted.  While the other 4 PA guys on Iowa's roster and the 3 on tOSU's roster will probably almost all become multiple AA's and even become a champ someday, Sanderson's recruiting philosophy is very clear.  He is looking for guys that are the right fit for his program (think Ed Ruth sr to Lehigh or Marstellar).

But as a PA guy myself, I would love to see a lineup at "THE" Pennsylvania State University like this:

Ryan Preisch and Zach Zavatsky are pretty good PA guys at 184 and highly ranked:  #4 and #6.   Who would be at 285?  Jordan Wood or Thomas Haynes, who are both ranked: #6 and #9? 

Iowa is the Mizzou of this season. Withholding guys from competition with an already weak schedule to have better seeds come post. A sad reality in the NCAAs today is that multiple teams are playing this game.

25 minutes ago, Perry said:

Iowa is the Mizzou of this season. Withholding guys from competition with an already weak schedule to have better seeds come post. A sad reality in the NCAAs today is that multiple teams are playing this game.

They did the same thing a couple years ago, then they got smoked in the post season.

48 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

They did the same thing a couple years ago, then they got smoked in the post season.

PSU did it 2 years ago and destroyed the postseason.  Russians only wrestle a few times a year and destroy the world.  

The reason Iowa got smoked in the postseason a few years ago had nothing to do with their schedule.

On 11/7/2018 at 6:28 PM, hammerlockthree said:

Its a funny strategy, but Iowa might as well try to poach Penn States guys. Cael went to PSU because the location was so conducive to recruiting...why not attack that advantage.

Iowa really doesn't have an option right now. The last couple of years, IA hasn't produced recruits like of Borshel, Slaton, Leclere, Fields, M*, Gambrall, McDonough, St. John, Marion, Clark, and Sorenson. Just as much as this is a discussion of talent coming from PA, the lack of talent coming out of Iowa right now is just as crazy to me. Willie from Flo thinks that is starting to change again, but I am not seeing it.

1 hour ago, boconnell said:

PSU did it 2 years ago and destroyed the postseason.  Russians only wrestle a few times a year and destroy the world.  

The reason Iowa got smoked in the postseason a few years ago had nothing to do with their schedule.

You want to compare PSU to Iowa in this vein? OK. 

Ducking sends the wrong message to your wrestlers. Iowa for sure ducked Va Tech in the National Duals, thus leading to the term "Orange" coming from VT head man Kevin Dresser. A case can be made that Brands never reciprocating (despite always claiming he will) Penn State's coming to Iowa for a non conf. dual several years ago also fits the category. This stuff doesn't build confidence. No wonder they lost to NC State when they ducked Va Tech, and then went on to finish 5th at NCAA's after an unbeaten regular season. 

PSU ducked nobody 2 years ago. Not as a team, and not individually. When they faced Iowa, Ohio State and Oklahoma State each wrestler who would represent Penn State post season, they wrestled. Penn State shows up for their duals. Iowa mostly does, but some of this stuff is not a good look. 

Bo Nickal was over in Budapest helping David Taylor and he'll wrestle Sunday. 

I didn't say Iowa hs talent is reaching its previous levels.

My contention (on twitter) was that PA depth is down. their elite guys might be down as well. idk - generally speaking - i think the 2019 and 2020 classes are down overall in the 'elite' dept. 

16 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

You want to compare PSU to Iowa in this vein? OK. 

Ducking sends the wrong message to your wrestlers. Iowa for sure ducked Va Tech in the National Duals, thus leading to the term "Orange" coming from VT head man Kevin Dresser. A case can be made that Brands never reciprocating (despite always claiming he will) Penn State's coming to Iowa for a non conf. dual several years ago also fits the category. This stuff doesn't build confidence. No wonder they lost to NC State when they ducked Va Tech, and then went on to finish 5th at NCAA's after an unbeaten regular season. 

PSU ducked nobody 2 years ago. Not as a team, and not individually. When they faced Iowa, Ohio State and Oklahoma State each wrestler who would represent Penn State post season, they wrestled. Penn State shows up for their duals. Iowa mostly does, but some of this stuff is not a good look. 

Bo Nickal was over in Budapest helping David Taylor and he'll wrestle Sunday. 

This is awesome.  Never change.

13 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

I didn't say Iowa hs talent is reaching its previous levels.

My contention (on twitter) was that PA depth is down. their elite guys might be down as well. idk - generally speaking - i think the 2019 and 2020 classes are down overall in the 'elite' dept. 

Just to clarify, I wasn't calling you out Willie. I had just heard some comments you made about Schriever and a few other up and comers. You more or less stated that the state was improving. Maybe. I think Shriever is very good. However, and this is strictly my opinion, I don't see him like a guarantee like I did for Long, Clark or even a McDonough. I hope he proves me wrong! There were also many guys out of those years like Dylan Carew and Kyle Anson who never panned out for whatever reason. When watching the state tourney, I haven't seen the same level of talent coming through. Not even close. I don't know how to account for the downturn, but it is going to take a lot to catch up with the talent that was coming out of the 2000's. The guys that came out of those classes filled Iowa and ISU lineups which were the 2 top teams for a couple years. Iowas recruiting has just been really hurt by that IMO and have been forced to get more guys from PA. 

I can't speak to the PA thing too much as I don't follow their high school results nationally as much, but the results support your opinion so far. 

20 hours ago, Boompa said:

My understanding was the Cael did not really press for Sasso as he wasn't Cael's kind of kid. And he had Hoffman in the bag but once Beard came decommited from NW and committed to Penn State, Hoffman left. So Spencer and Pletcher are really the only ones. 

7 hours ago, russelscout said:

Iowa really doesn't have an option right now. The last couple of years, IA hasn't produced recruits like of Borshel, Slaton, Leclere, Fields, M*, Gambrall, McDonough, St. John, Marion, Clark, and Sorenson. Just as much as this is a discussion of talent coming from PA, the lack of talent coming out of Iowa right now is just as crazy to me. Willie from Flo thinks that is starting to change again, but I am not seeing it.

I am not claiming a contender can subsist on Iowa, but didn't they have 13 Junior Freestyle AA's this year? Thats pretty great right?

1 hour ago, hammerlockthree said:

I am not claiming a contender can subsist on Iowa, but didn't they have 13 Junior Freestyle AA's this year? Thats pretty great right?

Yes it is. But the champ was at 113, Shriever or Brands maybe have the most upside? Idk. It's hard looking at those guys and saying, he's gonna be a top guy. I could say that about those other guys I listed before. Also, Fargo has fallen from the premier event in recent years IMO. Once again, Id love to be wrong here and dine on crow.

On 11/9/2018 at 10:04 PM, hammerlockthree said:

Fargo has fallen in that it isn't he clear #1, that's a fair assessment right?

I don't think it's even close to what it was. Not too long ago, Metcalf won how many Fargo titles and that was the peak of his season. Now I don't think he would even go. He would have gone to Akron, and tried to make a Cadet world team. I mean, how many Fargo titles does Lee and Gable have? The very best rarely to Fargo anymore. 

Edited by russelscout