Sign in to follow this  
russelscout

Weight Cutting Education

OneFC, an MMA org, has a great program. Practically it made everyone move up a weight class, but because everyone did it, the playing field is even and you get better fights (or in our case, it would lead to better matches) The goal is the improvement to the health of the wrestler, but there would also be less gassing and better technique....

This could also lead to aboloshing the 125 weight class. 125 is arguable the best weight, but practically all of the 125ers would be at 133, all of the 133ers would be at 141, etc so it wouldn't cause an issue until 197. To solve this, adding a 215/220 weight and leaving the hvwt cap means we would still have 10 weights, the wrestlers would be safer, they could focus on technique and conditioning instead of weight cutting, they would gas less and me more entertaining.

Do you realize that this is exactly what the NCAA did in 1998, by adding 8 lbs to every weight class & mandated that everyone moved up to the new weight?

https://www.nytimes.com/1998/01/14/sports/wrestling-ncaa-restricts-weight-loss-methods.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, lu_alum said:

Do you realize that this is exactly what the NCAA did in 1998, by adding 8 lbs to every weight class & mandated that everyone moved up to the new weight?

https://www.nytimes.com/1998/01/14/sports/wrestling-ncaa-restricts-weight-loss-methods.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This has to be coupled with consistent hydration testing or it doesn’t solve the problem 

Hydration testing is easy to cheat and not even consistently accurate. Only shortening the window between weighin and competition for the NCAAs will work to eliminate dangerous weight cutting. We’re in a much better place now than in the past but the NCAA weighin rules still allow for big cuts in March. 

Not a good way to do things.  Tournaments spend too much time as is between bouts.  Fans are trained to expect it.  It is our sport's biggest downfall to drawing more participants and fans.  The days are too long as is waiting for kids and coaches to get to the mats. 

The only way I could see it working is a shoot like system similar to what most FS/GR do.  Pre report to the shoot area (not in the gym), weigh in, check in, then be sent directly to the mat.   Personally, I don't really like it.  I've been hearing "matside" weigh ins since I was in college (20 years ago) and we have yet to go to them.  Either it is too difficult to process or we aren't evolving.  Depends on perspective.

7 hours ago, LordNelson said:

Not a good way to do things.  Tournaments spend too much time as is between bouts.  Fans are trained to expect it.  It is our sport's biggest downfall to drawing more participants and fans.  The days are too long as is waiting for kids and coaches to get to the mats. 

The only way I could see it working is a shoot like system similar to what most FS/GR do.  Pre report to the shoot area (not in the gym), weigh in, check in, then be sent directly to the mat.   Personally, I don't really like it.  I've been hearing "matside" weigh ins since I was in college (20 years ago) and we have yet to go to them.  Either it is too difficult to process or we aren't evolving.  Depends on perspective.

The biggest BJJ entity in the world, the IBJJF, runs tournaments with upwards of 7,000 adult competitors.  They do matside weigh ins and its like clockwork.

7 hours ago, LordNelson said:

As a sport we're lazy and hang on to traditions too long. It took actual deaths to get the minimal, and in mo opinion completely ineffective, changes we have today.  Hell there are still people running tournaments on paper for Christ's sake. 

Old dirty - thanks for that info.  I am sure mat side weigh ins are not too hard to do.  And it would remove so much of what sucks from the sport.  How many kids grow to hate the sport due to weight cutting?  It should not be such a big part of it.

I’ve never heard a real impediment besides tradition.