Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

What about Robles

I just read that Anthony Robles is gunning for the world record in pullups. https://www.si.com/olympics/2018/11/07/one-legged-wrestler-aiming-pull-world-record-during-jets-bills-halftime.

It makes me wonder why he never wrestled internationally. It would seem that his style would have been well suited to freestyle. Would staying on one knee, as he had to do, be illegal in freestyle?

2 hours ago, NJDan said:

I just read that Anthony Robles is gunning for the world record in pullups. https://www.si.com/olympics/2018/11/07/one-legged-wrestler-aiming-pull-world-record-during-jets-bills-halftime.

It makes me wonder why he never wrestled internationally. It would seem that his style would have been well suited to freestyle. Would staying on one knee, as he had to do, be illegal in freestyle?

I have to wonder if Robles would even be allowed to participate. He is in reality a 157 pounder with 1 leg, maybe internationally they take that into account? I remember a lot of guys here in the USA used to bitch he had an unfair strength advantage because of that. I wasn't one of those guys, I think being on 2 legs is infinitely better than just one,  but there's no doubt he was a helluva lot stronger than the 125 pounders.

Apparently, Robles took the pullup record, with 62 in 60 seconds,

Not sure his missing leg / stronger upper body was an advantage in wrestling, but it does seem to be a clear advantage in pullups.

I heard Spencer Lee say that he could do 55 pullups and that Dan Dennis can do a lot more. I wonder how many Burroughs could do, or Alex Honnold.

3 hours ago, NJDan said:

Apparently, Robles took the pullup record, with 62 in 60 seconds,

Not sure his missing leg / stronger upper body was an advantage in wrestling, but it does seem to be a clear advantage in pullups.

I heard Spencer Lee say that he could do 55 pullups and that Dan Dennis can do a lot more. I wonder how many Burroughs could do, or Alex Honnold.

I never though Burroughs was all that powerful looking in his upper body.  I'd be surprised if he could do 40 pullups.

Last time I saw him wrestle freestyle was at Sunkist around 2010. He never wrestled much freestyle in high school and his style really didn't translate well as there wasn't much time to work on top and his low stance would likely be called for passivity if he ever ventured overseas. Great dude though. 

11 hours ago, Zebra said:

I seem to recall some form of ruling that he could only participate in the Special Olympics. Not being funny here I really remember something like that happening. 

Special Olympics are for those with learning imparements.  I’m pretty sure Robles imparement wouldn’t apply to that competition.   Nor does it have wrestling as an event.

The Paralympics would be for those with with some type of physical impairments.  I’m not sure the parameters for participating in this but Robles may well qualify for this competition if he choose to participate.  However, wrestling hasn’t been an event in the Paralympics since the early 80s.  Judo is the only current combat sport in this competition.  Since judo is mostly based on standing throws without the ability to grab a leg, Robles may not fair very well in that event.  But, I’m guessing with his athleticism he could do well in a couple other Paralympic events if he wanted to. 

Edited by MadMardigain

12 hours ago, Zebra said:

I seem to recall some form of ruling that he could only participate in the Special Olympics. Not being funny here I really remember something like that happening. 

Well there goes your Gold Medal.

On 11/13/2018 at 1:31 AM, TobusRex said:

Nope. He doesn't have a huge chest for his size and he also has long arms.

What does a huge chest have to do with pull-ups? He has relatively skinny legs and a very powerful upper body. I’m sure he can do a ton of pull-ups in a minute. He can do one-arm pull-ups and was the fastest Tram USA member on the rope climb a few years ago. There’s a video somewhere of him smoking little Obe Blanc, whom he outweighs by a good 35-40 lbs, on the rope climb. 

On 11/12/2018 at 5:18 AM, dmm53 said:

Interesting and illuminating article on Robles if you haven't read it before.  Addresses a few of the points or claims made above:

https://deadspin.com/the-one-legged-wrestler-who-conquered-his-sport-then-l-452888181

Interesting read.  Best part IMO was the quote from Brands about not recruiting Robles - “are you looking for a fight? Hey, that’s off the record!”

Edited by 1032004

On 11/10/2018 at 10:46 PM, TobusRex said:

I have to wonder if Robles would even be allowed to participate. He is in reality a 157 pounder with 1 leg, maybe internationally they take that into account? I remember a lot of guys here in the USA used to bitch he had an unfair strength advantage because of that. I wasn't one of those guys, I think being on 2 legs is infinitely better than just one,  but there's no doubt he was a helluva lot stronger than the 125 pounders.

Not taking anything away from Robles but he did have size/strength advantage and he did have the advantage of training for opponents with 2 legs while I'm sure his competition never trained to wrestle someone with 1 leg (and perpetually on a knee).