treep2000

U23 Freestyle: Predictions and Results Thread

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2018/November/08/2018-U23-MFS-preview

Posting the lineup and my initial predictions.  As results come in later in the week, we'll be able to reflect, talk about how great of a prognosticator XYZ was, and how horribly off person So n' So was... 

U.S. men’s freestyle roster
57 kg: Jack Mueller (Dallas, Texas/Cavalier WC) - 1-1, or maybe 1-2 if pulled into repechage?
61 kg: Sean Fausz (Alexandria, Ky./Wolfpack WC) - Same thought... 
65 kg: Colton McCrystal (Sergeant Bluff, Iowa/Nebraska WTC) - Winless, I predict
70 kg: Hayden Hidlay (Lewistown, Pa./Wolfpack WC) - Predicting a medal here.  Potential Finalist?
74 kg: Alex Smythe (Eden, N.Y./Univ. of Buffalo) - 0-1 to 1-1 probably.
79 kg: David McFadden (West Milford, N.J./Southeast RTC) - I could see him making a run.  A medal wouldn't be surprising, but then a 0-1 wouldn't either.
86 kg: Myles Martin (Penns Grove, N.J./Titan Mercury WC/Ohio RTC) - I think MyMar is on a mission.  Medal, if not title, contender.  
92 kg: Christian Brunner (East Dundee, Ill./Boilermaker RTC) - Respectable win or two.
97 kg: Kollin Moore (Burbank, Ohio/Titan Mercury WC/Ohio RTC) - Another one with something to prove.  This weight class suits him, just like it suited Snyder.  I see him contending for a medal, if not a title.
125 kg: Youssif Hemida (Mamaroneck, N.Y./Terrapin WC) - Respectable win or two.

OK folks... your turn.

The field is just tougher this year.  If things go reasonably well, we'll see 2 to 3 bronze medals. I really don't see us taking home any gold.  

The first half of our guys just got their draws. Re-pasting below.  My takeaways in italics below each.  

57 kg: Jack Mueller (Dallas, Texas/Cavalier WC) Vs. Darthe Capellan (Canada), 2018 Senior World Team, 5th in 2017 Commonwealth Championships, 10th in 2016 Junior Worlds
Winnable first match.  Second match likely against Hasegawa (Japan)--that's a match he's not winning.  The hope would be to get pulled back into repechage, but I fear Hasegawa loses to either Ortega or Sadulaev in the semis. Quick tourney for Jack.

65 kg: Colton McCrystal (Sergeant Bluff, Iowa/Nebraska WTC) Vs. Nurgazy Abdurazakov (Kyrgyzstan)
Winnable match, maybe?  I don't see a lot of landmines in his quarter of the bracket... I just don't think McCrystal is quite good enough to beat some of these guys that are already active on the senior level in freestyle.  Not expecting much, but perhaps he strings a couple matches together before getting knocked out.

70 kg: Hayden Hidlay (Lewistown, Pa./Wolfpack WC) Vs. Alexander Chaves (Canada)
Hidlay should win his first match, although Chaves was 3rd at Pan Am's so isn't a slouch.  Unfortunately for Hidlay, he gets Baev in his second match.  Baev is one of the best wrestlers in the entire tournament, and could be Russia's senior rep soon. Hidlay has a decent shot to come back and medal through the repechage.

79 kg: David McFadden (West Milford, N.J./Southeast RTC) Vs. Muhammet Lufti Kucukyildirim (Turkey)
Tough first match, but it's winnable.  Kucu has some decent results, Euro U23 Bronze, Junior Euro Bronze, but he's not a world beater.  Not sure exactly what to think about McFadden in freestyle.  If he does well, he'll make the quarters and likely lose to Uzbekistan.  Whether he's then pulled back in... I'd be a little surprise.  Nabiev (RUS) is in his half (3rd at Russian Nat's).

97 kg: Kollin Moore (Burbank, Ohio/Titan Mercury WC/Ohio RTC) Vs. Igor Ovsiannikov (Russia)
This is... though.  We're talking about a guy in Ovsyannikov that took Baitsaev to the brink at Russian Nationals in the semis.  Now... I consider myself the unofficial leader of the Kollin Moore fan club, but I'm pretty sure a match between he and Baitsaev would look quite diff--what am I saying... he'll win this match and then take the whole tournament!

Edited by steamboat_charlie v2

2 hours ago, Buckeyebison said:

Wowsa. These draws are brutal. Especially with Kollin Moore and Hidlay.

If Kollin beats the Russian, then he wins the gold. Very, very tough opening match.

Well... we know Kollin's training partner can beat the Russian... so... ;-)

This will be hard for you guys, especially 97 against Ovsiannikov. Just a half an hour to go guys!!

UWW streams:

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/event/senior-u23-world-championships-0

https://livestream.com/unitedworldwrestling

As with last year at this event, our conditioning with these college guys is HUGE and seems to trump our relative inexperience and lesser technical skills.

Hidlay destroys Chaves in very short time and takes Baev to the brink--finally falling 6-5 after being down 6-0. 

Moore with a very impressive come-from-behind win over Ovsyannikov, also by that 6-5 score. 

McCrystal wins his first match over the Kyrgyz in a wild one, getting the fall in an 11-10 match.

McFadden rolls through Kucu, 12-4. 

In the quarters, McCrystal will have Ghiasi Cheka of Iran. McFadden will likely have Shapiev of Uzbekistan (world junior runner-up last year). Mueller will get senior-level Asian bronze medalist Hasegawa (Japan) or Sarlak (Iran). 

Moore techs the Canadian Randhawa to earn our 4th quarterfinal ticket. He'll have Dede of Turkey or Almentay of Kazakhstan. Both have a lot of senior-level experience with decent results. Almentay was a world junior bronze 3 years ago.

1 hour ago, maligned said:

In the quarters, McCrystal will have Ghiasi Cheka of Iran. McFadden will likely have Shapiev of Uzbekistan (world junior runner-up last year). Mueller will get senior-level Asian bronze medalist Hasegawa (Japan) or Sarlak (Iran). 

Ghiasi beat McCrystal 10-0, what a beast 

Well, Moore advances easily over Dede and the others fall. Sadly, McFadden had Shapiev there for the taking and gave up a significant lead late. He waited way too long to push the pace then went completely defensive instead of continuing his attack late. In the middle few minutes, he owned the match because Shapiev couldn't score as long as McFadden attacked.

50 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Higuchi is a olympic silver medalist from 2016 and still competing in the u23s? 

Age is the only requirement and he's lost out on his senior team spot to represent Japan, so it makes sense.  Tsargush competed here when it was universities and IIRC at that time he had a couple world titles under his belt. 

44 minutes ago, maligned said:

Well, Moore advances easily over Dede and the others fall. Sadly, McFadden had Shapiev there for the taking and gave up a significant lead late. He waited way too long to push the pace then went completely defensive instead of continuing his attack late. In the middle few minutes, he owned the match because Shapiev couldn't score as long as McFadden attacked.

McFadden will learn from this. He showed that his wrestling is on par with Shapiev, who very well could win the tournament. That was poor tactics from McFadden. That is the easiest component to improve upon. 

very impressed with him. Hope he gets a shot at bronze

31 minutes ago, Gantry said:

Age is the only requirement and he's lost out on his senior team spot to represent Japan, so it makes sense.  Tsargush competed here when it was universities and IIRC at that time he had a couple world titles under his belt. 

I guess, still not a big fan of a world champ moving back down to u23 though 

Happy with how our guys have done so far.  Of this group, Moore is the only guy with real international experience.  Also, Moore has added a lot of different tools over the summer.  Pretty impressive.  

Mueller pulled back into repechage, although he wrestles Zou, who knocked off both Sadulaev and Ortega.  

Edited by steamboat_charlie v2

12 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

His finals match is going to be tough.  He's had a brutal draw.  Very happy for Mr. Moore.  Keep it going!

Matcharashvili is the guy that teched Kollin in the Junior World semis last summer.  Definitely going to be tough.  

Matcharasvili also was Georgia's rep at the World Cup this year at 97kg--went 4-1 with 4 techs, with his only loss being a 10-0 at the hands of Captain America himself...