Housebuye

Mekhi Lewis will go undefeated until NCAAs

Just like last year with Hayden Hidlay, making an early season prediction based on talent + schedule + conference. 

Biggest challenges will be:

Flynn (Missouri) - top 15 or so

Wentszel (Pitt) - top 15 or so

Walter (Lehigh) - top 15 or so

Cam Coy (Virginia) - borderline top 20

Bullard (NC State) - top 15 or so

Unless he hits them in tournaments, added duals, or guys change weights, he won't face a top 10 guy all season it looks like. Even so, I picked him to win NCAAs prior to the season starting, so I don't think it matters. In fact, this post suggests I am picking him to be an undefeated champ this season...I'm most concerned about Evan Wick (top game could be issues?), Cenzo (for obvious reasons), Marinelli (solid positioning, hard to score on) and Massa (when he is on, he is very hard to stop offensively and defensively. He is inconsistent though). 

The rest I view as underdogs vs Lewis. I could be underrating guys like Josh Shields, Martstellar and Steiert. Maybe even an OSU guy, but I have no idea who they will at 165. Flo still has Joe Smith ranked here. 

1 minute ago, klehner said:

Chavez (Cornell) currently top 10 in all rankings doesn't get a mention?  Cornell and VT face each other on 2/15.

Good call! Chavez isn't listed as the starter on wrestlestat, so I missed him.

I'm high on Chavez for sure. He was a solid recruit, AAd and then made the senior greco team. Granted, he is injured (or was?) which I assume is why he isn't listed  as the starter right now.

That is a tough matchup for Lewis. I think his low shots may work well, but this isn't an easy match

30 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Good call! Chavez isn't listed as the starter on wrestlestat, so I missed him.

I'm high on Chavez for sure. He was a solid recruit, AAd and then made the senior greco team. Granted, he is injured (or was?) which I assume is why he isn't listed  as the starter right now.

That is a tough matchup for Lewis. I think his low shots may work well, but this isn't an easy match

JJ isn't in school this semester:  he was focusing on GR Worlds (but got injured, apparently), and by taking this semester off, he can wrestle this year *and* next year.  He has two semesters eligibility left as of now.  The latter is speculation.

I see him going more on the lines of Richie Lewis.  He will be competitive with the top field at 165, but there are several guys that are more complete folkstylers with high end gas tanks.  He has a solid chance to AA, but I don't see him on the top half of the podium.

20 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

PSU will have their full team at The Southern Scuffle and I would count on Marstellar being there as well. Bryce Steiert may also be there as I think he was there last year as well. 

Good!

seems like typically at the scuffle there are guys missing. It makes sense, as the crazy part of the season kicks off right afterwards. If guys are nursing any kind of injury or just need a break, I get it. 

Given that, it’s pretty unlikely cenzo, Marsteller, chance and Mekhi all make it there and are all at 165. 

I hope it happens. Stacked weight yet again. I never give cenzo enough credit and it bites me in the ass every year. 

11 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

I see him going more on the lines of Richie Lewis.  He will be competitive with the top field at 165, but there are several guys that are more complete folkstylers with high end gas tanks.  He has a solid chance to AA, but I don't see him on the top half of the podium.

yeah you are being sensible. I just happen to think Mekhi is one of those guys with a crazy ceiling and he will jump levels again before the season is over. 

If NCAAs was today, I wouldn’t pick him to be champ. 

Not sure I follow you here... I mean, sure, he doesn't have any duals on the schedule with top 5 guys.  But VT has both CKLV and Scuffle on their schedule...  arguably the two toughest tournaments this year. Is he not going to show up to those?

At CKLV alone he could face: Shields, Massa, Steiert, White, Flynn, Fogarty, D. Romero, K. Romero, etc... 

45 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Not sure I follow you here... I mean, sure, he doesn't have any duals on the schedule with top 5 guys.  But VT has both CKLV and Scuffle on their schedule...  arguably the two toughest tournaments this year. Is he not going to show up to those?

At CKLV alone he could face: Shields, Massa, Steiert, White, Flynn, Fogarty, D. Romero, K. Romero, etc... 

There is virtually no chance all of those guys show up

If he goes he might end up facing some of them. It depends on draw, weight, etc. 

I’d imagine he will face 3 top 10 guys worst/best case (depending on how you look at it) by ncaas. 

4 minutes ago, KTG119 said:

hope he sees Marsteller at Scuffle, to see if he has made significant gains vs the close two losses last year. 

For sure

id be pretty surprised if he lost to chance. They were neck and neck last year and clearly Mekhi has jumped levels. 

has he though? Yet? That freestyle gold is freakin' awesome but he didn't tech fall his way through the Hokie Open or anything either. I am hopeful that he can be Tech's 1st NCAA champ (well even better if some other Hokie gets there first) before his career is done and I think he's gonna make waves this year for sure, but right this sec.....well I can't wait to see him wrestle more top level guys.    

50 minutes ago, KTG119 said:

has he though? Yet? That freestyle gold is freakin' awesome but he didn't tech fall his way through the Hokie Open or anything either. I am hopeful that he can be Tech's 1st NCAA champ (well even better if some other Hokie gets there first) before his career is done and I think he's gonna make waves this year for sure, but right this sec.....well I can't wait to see him wrestle more top level guys.    

I can't say for sure, but it is my prediction. He will have to continue improving for it to become a reality, based on his history, potential, partners and coaches I think it is going to happen.

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

There is virtually no chance all of those guys show up

If he goes he might end up facing some of them. It depends on draw, weight, etc. 

I’d imagine he will face 3 top 10 guys worst/best case (depending on how you look at it) by ncaas. 

I think that's a low estimate, but fair enough.  He certainly has a chance to beat everyone in front of him.  I know it's early, and it was literally his first action of the year, but I was hoping to see a big separation between him and lower-tier NCAA qualifier guys.  Close match with Bryce Martin is a little odd.  

8 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

I think that's a low estimate, but fair enough.  He certainly has a chance to beat everyone in front of him.  I know it's early, and it was literally his first action of the year, but I was hoping to see a big separation between him and lower-tier NCAA qualifier guys.  Close match with Bryce Martin is a little odd.  

Fair enough

I haven't seen his matches this year. It is hard to tell how competitive folkstyle is based on the score, but I was hoping he would win by a bit more too

Man, I hope Mekhi wins the natty championship. I watched all his matches at the hokie open except the finals. Gotta be honest though, he was never in jeopardy of losing a match but I think the hokie faithful, myself included were left scratching our heads somewhat. 

I figured everyone would bring their A game, and maybe they did but he didn’t dominate like most thought that he would. 

The WVU kid really pushed him. Mekhi’s athleticism and quick reattacks were too much for that tournament. He catches Flynn Friday at mizzou so we should see where he stands from a dual standpoint and maybe shakes some folk style rust off after the hokie open. 

No doubt, he’s got the skills, athleticism and work ethic to win it all and Robie is really high on him.