Sign in to follow this  
BigTenFanboy

"I don't know what the Gavin situation is...."

No idea, but Gavin gave some pretty negative signals starting his junior year of high school with off the mat behavior (nothing too crazy, but you could see his attitude shift on social media). This isn't scientific. It is moreso my read of him based on very limited data.

I got bashed for saying this a few months ago, but whatever. I wish him the best. 

Note: this has nothing to do with on the mat performance. You could argue that he wasn't quite as good his senior year as years past, but I didn't allow that to sway my opinion.

11 minutes ago, Frank_Rizzo said:

No idea, but Penn State could forfeit 125 for the rest of the year and still go undefeated in duals and win every tournament they enter. 

True. They are so damn good in every other weight. I guess we need to see where they are at 133 and 149 technically, but both are fringe AA contenders at worst. Unless RBY is terrible on bottom or something, I actually think he is better than a few of the former AAs still at the weight.

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

No idea, but Gavin gave some pretty negative signals starting his junior year of high school with off the mat behavior (nothing too crazy, but you could see his attitude shift on social media). This isn't scientific. It is moreso my read of him based on very limited data.

I got bashed for saying this a few months ago, but whatever. I wish him the best. 

Note: this has nothing to do with on the mat performance. You could argue that he wasn't quite as good his senior year as years past, but I didn't allow that to sway my opinion.

You shouldn't have gotten trashed because this is a message board and people give their opinion on who's going to win a match and you can certainly give your opinion on what's going on with the kid. I think you are one hundred or were 100% spot-on. In my opinion he was nowhere near the wrestler as a senior that he was in previous years. I don't know if that had to do mentally or the fact that the competition was catching up. How many kids are the greatest thing in the world in 9th and 10th grade but mature early, wrestle year-round, had better coaching, etc and then when everybody catches up it's a hard thing to take. Too many times we say that a person underachieved when that was all they were capable of in college. It just so happened they got to that level before most others.

8 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

You shouldn't have gotten trashed because this is a message board and people give their opinion on who's going to win a match and you can certainly give your opinion on what's going on with the kid. I think you are one hundred or were 100% spot-on. In my opinion he was nowhere near the wrestler as a senior that he was in previous years. I don't know if that had to do mentally or the fact that the competition was catching up. How many kids are the greatest thing in the world in 9th and 10th grade but mature early, wrestle year-round, had better coaching, etc and then when everybody catches up it's a hard thing to take. Too many times we say that a person underachieved when that was all they were capable of in college. It just so happened they got to that level before most others.

Ussually if it is simply kids catching up we don't see that until college. This kid wrestled Fix close in free and beat Piccinnini in just 2016. I would say he got worse over the next years and that to me points to lifestyle issues or HEW. 

The stat that jumps out at me is he only had 31 pins with 24 techs. I would have thought he would be approaching 100 pins/techs combined in high school.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Ussually if it is simply kids catching up we don't see that until college. This kid wrestled Fix close in free and beat Piccinnini in just 2016. I would say he got worse over the next years and that to me points to lifestyle issues or HEW. 

You are probably right. I was more so talking about the general population than necessarily just Gavin. And yes lifestyle issues are going to be a bigger part of it than just getting caught up to. I had just not heard anything about any major issues so that's why I went where I did. If you were talking aboutthen that certainly would have made me think lifestyle issues

1 minute ago, ConnorsDad said:

You are probably right. I was more so talking about the general population than necessarily just Gavin. And yes lifestyle issues are going to be a bigger part of it than just getting caught up to. I had just not heard anything about any major issues so that's why I went where I did. If you were talking aboutthen that certainly would have made me think lifestyle issues

Gotchya. To tell you the truth, I know nothing about Gavin's lifestyle so I could be wrong. I just remember after he flipped to PSU, I was super bummed about it. I thought Iowa was missing out on a huge talent.... then I checked out the kids twitter and I was less convinced that he was a sure thing. I don't think Twitter should be the the be-all and end-all when judging a kids character, but what a kid puts out for all the world to see does say something. I had a similar feeling about Destin McCauley a few years back, however, that one was way more obvious.

28 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

Left out the word Chlebove between about & then! Sorry

4 hours ago, Frank_Rizzo said:

No idea, but Penn State could forfeit 125 for the rest of the year and still go undefeated in duals and win every tournament they enter. 

Even better, I'll bet Penn State could SKIP all the meaningless duals and tournaments and win nationals with 9 wrestlers.  It would be great for the sport.

Even better, I'll bet Penn State could SKIP all the meaningless duals and tournaments and win nationals with 9 wrestlers.  It would be great for the sport.

And then skip Senior Nationals and U 23's as well. It's great for the sport!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, pennsyrules said:

Is anyone else confused by this topic?  Do I need to listen to the entire flo cast to figure out what you guys are talking about?  Please give me the cliff notes.

Teasdale is basically in Cael’s doghouse due to off the mat issues. Haven’t listened to FRL but the way other posters are describing it Willie and Pyles made it seem like PSU could be moving on from him

From my admittedly limited interaction I've had with the kid, he didn't seem like the brightest star in the galaxy and he had a little chip on his shoulder. Nothing too bad but I could definitely see it being an odd dynamic with the rest of the team who all seem to have similar, more relaxed/laid back personalities. This was a few years back now but he seemed like a good kid otherwise.

1 hour ago, pennsyrules said:

Is anyone else confused by this topic?  Do I need to listen to the entire flo cast to figure out what you guys are talking about?  Please give me the cliff notes.

Pretty much it's his hair. 

37 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

I don't know anything about it but Cael runs off the bad apples. He ain't about reforming them unless they already contending for a hodge.

You have to want to do the right thing, it's hard to force a kid onto the right track.