Sign in to follow this  
hammerlockthree

Fix vs Gross/Lizak this weekend

Fix has already overcome the largest obstacle and that is being intimidated.  With the amount of major international wrestling experience he has acquired Fix will have no fear and will just go out and wrestle hard.  I know this will hurt some peoples feelings but winning a World Championship is much more difficult than winning the NCAA's.  Fix is already better on his feet than both Gross and Lizak.  The biggest difference will be how his bottom skills have developed while in the OK State room and does he have the strength of both his opponents.  If he cannot get off the bottom quickly he could be in trouble.  However, if he can get off the bottom and not give up ridding time points he could very easily win both matches.  

Edited by Bryan

1 minute ago, Bryan said:

Fix has already overcome the largest obstacle and that is being intimidated.  With the amount of major international wrestling experience he has acquired Fix will have no fear and will just go out and wrestle hard.  Fix is already better on his feet than both Gross and Lizak.  The biggest difference will be how his bottom skills have developed while in the OK State room and does he have the strength of both his opponents.  If he cannot get off the bottom quickly he could be in trouble.  However, if he can get off the bottom and not give up ridding time points he could very easily win both matches.  

Ok state is sometimes weak in bottom, especially at the lighter weights. Piccinnini and Brock come to mind. 

Hoping Fix doesn’t have these issues. 

Fix is a freestyle phenom. Remember we were all concerned about Spencer’s transition (too small, not strong enough, etc)

Fix has different challenges (isn’t as good as Lee on top, doesn’t have leg attacks quite as good) but nobody is doubting his strength or size. 

Even if Fix takes a loss or two, remember Spencer did as well earlier in the season. Granted Fix is older and has an extra year in a college room too. 

If Fix hits a few takedowns but loses because he struggles on bottom, I think he will still end up high on the podium. If he loses the takedown battle convincingly, he might be in a bit of trouble come March. 

Cant wait 

2 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Ok state is sometimes weak in bottom, especially at the lighter weights. Piccinnini and Brock come to mind. 

Hoping Fix doesn’t have these issues. 

Fix is a freestyle phenom. Remember we were all concerned about Spencer’s transition (too small, not strong enough, etc)

Fix has different challenges (isn’t as good as Lee on top, doesn’t have leg attacks quite as good) but nobody is doubting his strength or size. 

Even if Fix takes a loss or two, remember Spencer did as well earlier in the season. Granted Fix is older and has an extra year in a college room too. 

If Fix hits a few takedowns but loses because he struggles on bottom, I think he will still end up high on the podium. If he loses the takedown battle convincingly, he might be in a bit of trouble come March. 

Cant wait 

Do you really feel that the World Class wrestlers on the international scene are equally as good or significantly better than both Gross and Lizak from the neutral position?  Remember that Fix has been able to dominate on his feet against some of the best wrestlers in the world.  He could get schooled on his feet but I highly doubt that will happen.  

52 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Do you really feel that the World Class wrestlers on the international scene are equally as good or significantly better than both Gross and Lizak from the neutral position?  Remember that Fix has been able to dominate on his feet against some of the best wrestlers in the world.  He could get schooled on his feet but I highly doubt that will happen.  

Not sure if you responded to the right person? I said that Fix is better on the feet than both gross and lizak

5 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Until there is a way to hold guys accountable for sitting out, it will continue to happen. IMO, no kid deserves a high seed with out putting it on the line. 

If a guy is #1 and bumps up a weight to wrestle a #1 then I am led to believe he has a good reason for not wrestling tonight. Don't put Gross in the category others have been in on this one. 

Just now, BigTenFanboy said:

What would that way be though? How do you "force" someone to wrestle?

If you sit out it counts as a loss theoretically. For example Gross not wrestling should factor in as a loss in seeding at NCAAs but not on his record.  This way guys would actually wrestle big matches and finish out tournaments. Right now sitting out is the best way to guarantee you have a high seed. Yes, people get hurt and it sucks, but we shouldn't be rewarding them for getting hurt. It has led to abuse. I don't know that Gross is ducking, but it happens so much now, something needs to be done about it. 

3 minutes ago, Idaho said:

If a guy is #1 and bumps up a weight to wrestle a #1 then I am led to believe he has a good reason for not wrestling tonight. Don't put Gross in the category others have been in on this one. 

You could argue that last year that was a no loss option for Gross. He bumps up and wrestles Meredith in a super match, but if he loses it doesn't hurt him because he is lighter. He also didn't need to wrestle Bridges.

Come on now, Gross isn't ducking.  Probably the same reason the All-Star match didn't happen.  Guy puts it out there, he's not missing a big match at home because he's afraid of seeding.  That's not how he got to this level. 

It sucks, I'm po'ed too as I stayed home to watch.  But I have zero doubts that Seth Gross would have wrestled if he was able to.   These things happen...

1 minute ago, Gantry said:

Come on now, Gross isn't ducking.  Probably the same reason the All-Star match didn't happen.  Guy puts it out there, he's not missing a big match at home because he's afraid of seeding.  That's not how he got to this level. 

It sucks, I'm po'ed too as I stayed home to watch.  But I have zero doubts that Seth Gross would have wrestled if he was able to.   These things happen...

I don't think ducked. However, I do think something needs to be done about it.

9 minutes ago, russelscout said:

If you sit out it counts as a loss theoretically. For example Gross not wrestling should factor in as a loss in seeding at NCAAs but not on his record.  This way guys would actually wrestle big matches and finish out tournaments. Right now sitting out is the best way to guarantee you have a high seed. Yes, people get hurt and it sucks, but we shouldn't be rewarding them for getting hurt. It has led to abuse. I don't know that Gross is ducking, but it happens so much now, something needs to be done about it. 

If they did this to Spencer Lee or Jason Nolf last season do you think it would have any type of impact on either of them at NCAAs? Spencer Lee could have been seeded last and he still would have ripped through the bracket. Same with Nolf.

And while I am totally bummed that Gross didnt wrestle tonight, what if he is legitimately injured?

11 minutes ago, russelscout said:

You could argue that last year that was a no loss option for Gross. He bumps up and wrestles Meredith in a super match, but if he loses it doesn't hurt him because he is lighter. He also didn't need to wrestle Bridges.

yes you could argue, but it's a sucky argument that doesn't win. 

6 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

If they did this to Spencer Lee or Jason Nolf last season do you think it would have any type of impact on either of them at NCAAs? Spencer Lee could have been seeded last and he still would have ripped through the bracket. Same with Nolf.

And while I am totally bummed that Gross didnt wrestle tonight, what if he is legitimately injured?

I don't think Gross is the problem here. I believe he is probably injured, and guys like Lee and Nolf are not the issue either, but sitting out for seeding purposes is an issue. I don't think we should keep letting that slide and it should hurt you in some way if you do miss a big match on your schedule.

Edited by russelscout