Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

What is going on with Princeton

Recommended Posts

They have three top-50 freshmen. Tonight they took three matches from Iowa. And this year they are fixing to wrestle OK State, Lehigh, North Carolina, Rutgers and (of course) Cornell.

Do the Tigers have a shot at breaking Cornell's zillion-match Ivy win streak?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, NJDan said:

They have three top-50 freshmen. Tonight they took three matches from Iowa. And this year they are fixing to wrestle OK State, Lehigh, North Carolina, Rutgers and (of course) Cornell.

Do the Tigers have a shot at breaking Cornell's zillion-match Ivy win streak?

 

No.  Cornell is solid at pretty much every weight class (assuming they are all there next semester), and Princeton has too many holes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Housebuye said:

They looked tough tonight. 3 AAs is possible. They could finish top 10

Cornell already has four AAs (not even counting Darmstadt who is out for the year).  Princeton have Glory, Kolodzik, Stefanik, and Brucki, and that's about it (we'll see about Monday).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not this year, but they will beat Cornell eventually. The program has been building for a while and it's due to Novo-he's one of the biggest donors for Princeton at the moment, so the administration is behind the team. The key to success at the ivies is to have an administration that will increase the number of roster spots and decrease the average grades/SATs required to get in. The only way to get them to do this is with significant $$$ from alumni. Cornell and Princeton are really the only two ivies that are  supporting wrestling at the moment, and both have very strong financial backing from alumni in the sport.  

 

Cornell having their FLWC community college redshirt provides a pretty big advantage, so I"m not saying Princeton will take over the ivy...Just that at some point Cornell will have an off year.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Cornell and Princeton are really the only two ivies that are  supporting wrestling at the moment, and both have very strong financial backing from alumni in the sport.  

Ahem...

https://pennathletics.com/news/2018/7/11/wrestling-receives-1-million-gift-from-josh-harris-w-86.aspx

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They took three matches from Iowa, but only 1 against a starter.  Lets calm down a bit.  They're tough, but still a long ways from beating Cornell.  The guys they have to threaten to get on the podium are, outside of Kolodzik, most likely to end up near the bottom of the podium if they make it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Princeton looked solid tonight, they didnt challenge iowa but they showed up and wrestled tough. They will be fine going forward but are definitely a step behind Cornell still. Glory is good. He got teched tonight but he looked as good as you probably could considering the end result. Seeing lee hesitant on what to pick in the second spoke volumes to me. Monday needs to get in better shape. Young is tough and won that on guts, stamina and mat skills. Wish Warner would have wrestled tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Not this year, but they will beat Cornell eventually. The program has been building for a while and it's due to Novo-he's one of the biggest donors for Princeton at the moment, so the administration is behind the team. The key to success at the ivies is to have an administration that will increase the number of roster spots and decrease the average grades/SATs required to get in. The only way to get them to do this is with significant $$$ from alumni. Cornell and Princeton are really the only two ivies that are  supporting wrestling at the moment, and both have very strong financial backing from alumni in the sport.  

 

Cornell having their FLWC community college redshirt provides a pretty big advantage, so I"m not saying Princeton will take over the ivy...Just that at some point Cornell will have an off year.  

To even suggest this is asinine.

They are Universities with a proud tradition of excellence. Lowering their standards for any reason is a non starter. More so if it is to build a sports program. Athletes already have the stigma of "Dumb Jocks" -  why reinforce it?

You qualify or you don't. Plenty of other schools available if you can't make the grade. Making financial aid more available for those who qualify academically and don't have the dollars to attend is much more valuable than lowering standards for sports programs. Stanford is a good example of this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WillieBoy said:

To even suggest this is asinine.

They are Universities with a proud tradition of excellence. Lowering their standards for any reason is a non starter. More so if it is to build a sports program. Athletes already have the stigma of "Dumb Jocks" -  why reinforce it?

You qualify or you don't. Plenty of other schools available if you can't make the grade. Making financial aid more available for those who qualify academically and don't have the dollars to attend is much more valuable than lowering standards for sports programs. Stanford is a good example of this.

 

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/20/politics/harvard-admissions-affirmative-action-trial-money/index.html

Edited by Billyhoyle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, WillieBoy said:

To even suggest this is asinine.

They are Universities with a proud tradition of excellence. Lowering their standards for any reason is a non starter. More so if it is to build a sports program. Athletes already have the stigma of "Dumb Jocks" -  why reinforce it?

You qualify or you don't. Plenty of other schools available if you can't make the grade. Making financial aid more available for those who qualify academically and don't have the dollars to attend is much more valuable than lowering standards for sports programs. Stanford is a good example of this.

They exclude Asians with better grades, test scores and extra curriculars than those they accept. They admit who fits into their world view, not who earned it academically. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

They exclude Asians with better grades, test scores and extra curriculars than those they accept. They admit who fits into their world view, not who earned it academically. 

You seem to be referencing allegations involved in pending litigation with Harvard.  Not Princeton.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

They admit who fits into their world view, not who earned it academically. 

That's BS.  Pretty much every student at every Ivy earned their admission academically.  They don't accept students whom they think can't handle the academics, nor do they sort the applicants by SAT/ACT/GPA and accept the top 4%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
They took three matches from Iowa, but only 1 against a starter.  Lets calm down a bit.  They're tough, but still a long ways from beating Cornell.  The guys they have to threaten to get on the podium are, outside of Kolodzik, most likely to end up near the bottom of the podium if they make it.

Calm down, Vak. Ayres has done a great job at Princeton. It was just 9 years ago that Princeton scored THREE POINTS at the EIWA tournament.

In the past three seasons, they’ve been top-four each year, with four conference champs, and 7 NCAA qualifiers last season.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, WillieBoy said:

To even suggest this is asinine.

They are Universities with a proud tradition of excellence. Lowering their standards for any reason is a non starter. More so if it is to build a sports program. Athletes already have the stigma of "Dumb Jocks" -  why reinforce it?

You qualify or you don't. Plenty of other schools available if you can't make the grade. Making financial aid more available for those who qualify academically and don't have the dollars to attend is much more valuable than lowering standards for sports programs. Stanford is a good example of this.

No... actually, elite academic schools allow those with "special talents" (athletics, I assume music, etc) to gain acceptance with lower grades/test scores than the average student who is there solely for academic reasons.  This has been going on for a long time.  I'm sure the university admissions knows what type of kid can handle the academics and only allow those kids in, but there is definitely a lower academic qualification standard for good athletes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, klehner said:

That's BS.  Pretty much every student at every Ivy earned their admission academicallyThey don't accept students whom they think can't handle the academics, nor do they sort the applicants by SAT/ACT/GPA and accept the top 4%.

Too funny. "Earn their way in" is subjective now isn't it? In today's admissions world it is. I said they turn away students who have even better transcripts than some they admit, which the plaintiffs in the Harvard lawsuit will prove. My claim they are admitting who fits their world view (but also good students, just not necessarily as good as some others) is an opinion held by many in this country, your claims to the contrary not with standing. 

EDIT: When I wrote they did not earn it academically, that may not have been the best way to put it. The point simply being they turn away some applicants who have higher gpas at similar peer secondary schools and higher test scores while accepting applicants with lower gpas and test scores. The year one of my own went to college Harvard took an applicant with a 1580 SAT on a scale of 2400. Guessing the kid played QB or something like that. 

Edited by TBar1977

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×